Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Dec 3, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #376 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This 19MK3 is a much better DAC than the PS Audio III, smoother highs, better midrange and less digititis.

Thanks for the note on that since I had DL III and is very interested in the difference between it and Audio-gd's DAC.

I am less concern about the tonal difference you describe since they may be translated differently with different amp, phone, and listening preference. However, I do like to seek your opinion on the difference on details, clarity, soundstage focus and layers.

Thanks for additional observation!

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #377 of 695
Quote:

This 19MK3 is a much better DAC than the PS Audio III, smoother highs, better midrange and less digititis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the note on that since I had DL III and is very interested in the difference between it and Audio-gd's DAC.

I am less concern about the tonal difference you describe since they may be translated differently with different amp, phone, and listening preference. However, I do like to seek your opinion on the difference on details, clarity, soundstage focus and layers.

Thanks for additional observation!

Besides the usual differences (tonal balance, soundstage, dynamics, resolution) with other DACs, it seems that all people who have listened to the dac19mk3 find it free of "digitis" that plague so many other DACs. However, since I didn't listen to the DLIII, I will let regal further complete his comparison.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #378 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides the usual differences (tonal balance, soundstage, dynamics, resolution) with other DACs, it seems that all people who have listened to the dac19mk3 find it free of "digitis" that plague so many other DACs. However, since I didn't listen to the DLIII, I will let regal further complete his comparison.

I'm an electric guitar affectionado, with the PSII the guitar's upper notes were harsh and non life-like, the 19MK3 does the best job with the guitar as any DAC I've heard to date. It is very difficult for a DAC to reproduce true electric guitar body, tone, crunch, tube distortion, its all very non-linear. R2R chips like the PCM1704 do a better job as does the zero feedback output stage. I would love to hear the version with the diamond buffer though (6SE?). Note I only use the PMD100 as I find it a superior DF to the DF1704, its probably the best digital filter ever made, especially on recordings made with Pacific Microsystems' ADC's..

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #379 of 695
In summary the 19MK3 does the four things a DAC needs to be right:

1. Silicon/wire digital OS filter
2. R2R DAC chip
3. Zero NFB analog output stage
4. Good Power supply

Try to find that on anything short of a Mark Levinson.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #380 of 695
Hello dukja

My DAC9MK3 is burning, from the preliminary hearing it's already better than the DAC19MK3 better details, bigger soundstage, more defined bass, but you really need a very good system to hear the difference, the DAC19MK3 it's really good in most system it will be sufficient, i don't have hear the PSLink III, but the DAC19MK3 it's better than the DACMagic, the DAC9MK3 blows away both we are talking about mayor league here the 3 separate power supplys really cooks the sound into the hyperspace.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #381 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulioCat2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello dukja

My DAC9MK3 is burning, from the preliminary hearing it's already better than the DAC19MK3 better details, bigger soundstage, more defined bass, but you really need a very good system to hear the difference, the DAC19MK3 it's really good in most system it will be sufficient, i don't have hear the PSLink III, but the DAC19MK3 it's better than the DACMagic, the DAC9MK3 blows away both we are talking about mayor league here the 3 separate power supplys really cooks the sound into the hyperspace.

What's your system ?

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #382 of 695
Home System

MSI GX620 Laptop, Droboshare 4 GB Raid, Foobar Asio, Musiland Monitor 01 USB, DAC9Mk3 PMD100 Filter (send by mistake i order DF1704 but i really like it and keep it), Audio GD P2 Preamp, Marchand Electronics Active Crossover, Kingrex QS-01 for Highs, Outlaw Audio 750 Amp for Lows, Monitor Audio Silver RS8 Mains, Monitor Audio RSW12 Sub

Office System

Core 2 Quad PC, Foobar Asio, Musiland Monitor 01, DAC19Mk3, Rotel RC1550 Pre, Rotel RB1562 Amp, Monitor Audio GS10 Speakers

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #383 of 695
Quote:

Hello dukja

Thanks a lot for the note. It is encouraging to hear that DAC9 is better.

PSA DLIII (even stock) is certainly step up from my V-DAC. It also has sharper image and larger soundstage than my DA100, which is also step up from V-DAC. And V-DAC is similar to, if not better than, DACMagic from what I read.

Currently, I am listening DLIII balanced feeding in Phoenix and balanced out to DT880/600. Balance is a must so DAC9, Ref 1, or another DLIII with Cullen mod are what I am pondering with.

If I may extrapolate the Audio-gd's house sound from Phoenix, I may be able to understand both slim.a's and regal's description on "avoiding digitis", which has not been my problem for a long time. What I hope for the next DAC is to bring the 3D soundstage to the next level. With DLIII + Phoenix, I already can hear the body swing effect of the solo violinist, which is pleasing to me.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #384 of 695
Quote:

...DAC9Mk3 PMD100 Filter (send by mistake i order DF1704 but i really like it and keep it)...

Can you request either PMD100 or DF1704 or both with DAC9? It seems that they are user swappable with DAC19MK3 and I assumed that you can do so with DAC9MK3, can't you?

Thanks!!

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #385 of 695
Yes dukja you can request both filters, i have a DAC19MK3 with DF1704, i request kingwa the instrucctions to swap the filters on both Dacs but i'm still waiting for them.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #386 of 695
Quote:

Home System

MSI GX620 Laptop, Droboshare 4 GB Raid, Foobar Asio, Musiland Monitor 01 USB, DAC9Mk3 PMD100 Filter (send by mistake i order DF1704 but i really like it and keep it), Audio GD P2 Preamp, Marchand Electronics Active Crossover, Kingrex QS-01 for Highs, Outlaw Audio 750 Amp for Lows, Monitor Audio Silver RS8 Mains, Monitor Audio RSW12 Sub

Office System

Core 2 Quad PC, Foobar Asio, Musiland Monitor 01, DAC19Mk3, Rotel RC1550 Pre, Rotel RB1562 Amp, Monitor Audio GS10 Speakers

This is a headphone forum, it is very difficult to hear differences in DACs on speakers.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #387 of 695
I know but i certanly hear them in my systems, i have tried headphones in the past several times but even the best(grados, denon, and senheiser) ones cause fatigue to my ears after half an hour.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #388 of 695
Quote:

This is a headphone forum, it is very difficult to hear differences in DACs on speakers.

Actually, it's quite easy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #389 of 695
Maybe i'm mad but i'm sure that putting the speakers at 1 meter on the sides of my listening chair it is like having very big headphones in my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back