Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Oct 11, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #166 of 695
I recieved an email from Kingwa, he verified that this DAC's analog stage is zero feedback. I've built and experiemented with many DACs and can tell you that a no feedback analog stage is a huge benefit, it is very surprising to find such a good design at this pricepoint.

How long is the shipping time to the USA?

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #167 of 695
Mine took about 4 business days. It's pretty fast.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #168 of 695
regal, would love to hear your comparison of the 19mkIII with the PS

Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a dac19mk3 on order. But I have owned a PS DLIII and several other DAC's. The DL III was the worst sounding DAC I have ever owned, typical sharp and brittle sigma-delta sound.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #169 of 695
My mother-in-law is thinking about getting an iPhone to use the internet, but what we're wondering is if you can actually connect to the internet if you don't have an internet connection at home? I spoke to someone at O2, and they said you can connect using 3G, and that that's included in your unlimited wifi, but I just want to double check with an actual customer. Thanks!

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #170 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by rated1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regal, would love to hear your comparison of the 19mkIII with the PS

Will do.

Also Kingwa asked me if I needed anything custom done, not sure what that means, has anyone had anything changed on the 19MKII ?

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #171 of 695
Quote:

Will do.

Also Kingwa asked me if I needed anything custom done, not sure what that means, has anyone had anything changed on the 19MKII ?

I think someone add one additonal optical and coax input before

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #172 of 695
Quote:

From the photos on the web page it looks like it uses a BPM-7110 to convert the current out from the PCM 1704 into a Voltage output.

I can't wait to hear this thing and compare it to my two other PMD100 DAC's (one is a PCM63K + NP D1 and the other an AD1862.) I am a PMD100 freak, I honestly think the PMD100 is the golden child of the digital era. I've played with a lot of digital filters over the years, the PMD100 is my favorite, possibly because most of my music is HDCD encoded.

I'm keen to read your comparisons.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #173 of 695
I am planning on adding an I2S input so I can use that with the TerraLink X, but its so easy I'm not going to have him do it.

I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #175 of 695
Since most of my music is HDCD I have to find a bitperfect output for my laptop. I ordered a Teralink-X based on the good reviews in this thread, hopefully it outputs bit-perfect. Does the 19MK3 have an HDCD indicator light ?

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #177 of 695
Quote:

I am planning on adding an I2S input so I can use that with the TerraLink X, but its so easy I'm not going to have him do it.

I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Please tell me more about this.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #178 of 695
Quote:

Was that in addition to the coax or replacing it ?

The BNC input was an addition to the coax input. However Kingwa told me that I should only use one of them at a time. Indeed, when I opened the cover, I noticed that they were connected.
I tried both of them and I slightly preferred the BNC input.

The additional price was USD28

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #179 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please tell me more about this.

Just download the PCM270x datasheet. Locate this chip on the 19MK3, lift the I2S outputs from the chip and solder these to a new connector in the back. Plug in the I2S cable and switch the 19MK3 to USB. I will put up pictures when done. I am hoping I can fit the TerraLink X board inside the 19MK3 so to keep the I2s lines small. Basically this just upgrades the USB input. Or if you have the Juliet (sp) sound card you could use I2S from the PCI slot which would probably be better than the TerraLink X. But I will probably be using a laptop.

Also I believe there is room for improvement with the analog filter, I will check it out when mine arrives.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #180 of 695
Quote:

Just download the PCM270x datasheet. Locate this chip on the 19MK3, lift the I2S outputs from the chip and solder these to a new connector in the back. Plug in the I2S cable and switch the 19MK3 to USB. I will put up pictures when done. I am hoping I can fit the TerraLink X board inside the 19MK3 so to keep the I2s lines small. Basically this just upgrades the USB input. Or if you have the Juliet (sp) sound card you could use I2S from the PCI slot which would probably be better than the TerraLink X. But I will probably be using a laptop.

Also I believe there is room for improvement with the analog filter, I will check it out when mine arrives.

I don't think that tapping directly to the I2S is 100% sure better than going through coax or BNC.
From what I undestand, spdif receivers provide some kind of jitter rejection (20 to 30db according to Marco from m2tech).
Therefore, the increase in performance I noticed using the teralink-x over the usb input of the dac-19mk3 is probably due to signal going through the spdif receiver of the dac.
Granted I2S is a better protocol for transmitting the signal, but in this case, since the digital signal is not going to pass trough a recklocker or ASRC inside the DAC, the benefits of the I2S transmission might not be enough to compensate the role of jitter rejection performed by the DIR9001 receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back