Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Jan 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #421 of 1,550
Is there an estimate on when the desktop version of the O2 will be released? 

Quote:
Don't like the fact that it is using AC power-in / charging as these kind of adapter is harder to find in where I live. Good buy overall.

Me too. I reside in Singapore and am wondering where you got your adaptor from? I'll need to source for one soon.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #423 of 1,550
The designer has stated he'd stay away from the hungry orthos for now. We'll see, despite the excellent measurements and the all the great listening impressions from listeners I respect, it is a new design and I'll wait for some refinements, give it a little time to see if anything turns up, and see who's good at building them.

Quote:
Based on the efficiency number at InnerFidelity the O2 should probably be OK with anything but the HE-6.  While they're on the more efficient end for planars/orthos I love my O2 with my modded T50RPs and a few people have reported good results with the LCD-2.  The HE-4, 5, and 5LE could be a little iffy if you prefer rock concert levels or like to add a lot EQ to them.  I don't think there are any first hand reports with those combination yet though.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #424 of 1,550
There's already been a low/high gain switch added, a tweak to the battery minder circuit, and some other things I'm forgetting, on top of a few PCB revisions (which at one point improved the performance; layout still isn't quite ideal in some aspects).  If you were considering this an early prototype, it's not.  The main suggested change / refinement from others in terms of the design was moving the volume control to before the gain stage rather than after, though of course there's a tradeoff there and the designer wants it right where it is so that's not going to change.

What I mean to say is:  I don't think this is going to be changed significantly.  Some outstanding issues may be addressed in the upcoming desktop version, but the standard (trans)portable O2 is likely how it's going to be, at least in terms of most significant features.  There's really no more space to put stuff on the PCB if you wanted.

Quote:
The designer has stated he'd stay away from the hungry orthos for now. We'll see, despite the excellent measurements and the all the great listening impressions from listeners I respect, it is a new design and I'll wait for some refinements, give it a little time to see if anything turns up, and see who's good at building them.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #425 of 1,550

Quote:
Me too. I reside in Singapore and am wondering where you got your adaptor from? I'll need to source for one soon.

I order mine from element14 Malaysia (formally Farnell). Here is the same one on element14 Singapore. It is 15VAC which is still within spec (14~20VAC)

Good thing it is not expensive, you just have to wait a few days for it to ship from UK.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #426 of 1,550
I'm not at all saying it's an early prototype at all, but that general prudence and experience suggests that I will get a better and more reliable product if I wait for a bit.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #427 of 1,550

Quote:
I order mine from element14 Malaysia (formally Farnell). Here is the same one on element14 Singapore. It is 15VAC which is still within spec (14~20VAC)

Good thing it is not expensive, you just have to wait a few days for it to ship from UK.

Thanks for the information. Saves me a lot of time in hunting for one here. Will definately check that out. Cheers!

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #429 of 1,550
I received an Objective O2 from Mr.Slim yesterday. I find it to be an amazing amplifier for a very cheap price. The build quality from Mr.Slim is excellent, and the O2 is now my main headphone amplifier. Headphones used; Sennheiser HD650.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #430 of 1,550
Ordered from JDS this morning. Already got a tracking number. Can't wait. 
dt880smile.png

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #431 of 1,550
My O2 arrived today.  It's late but I decided to give it a listen plugged into AC.  Here are my initial impressions.

OK, first the O2 is not a GS-1 !  Sorry guys, it's just not in the same league.  It's so far away that it's not even worth writing a comparison or going to the trouble of making diffMaker files.

OTOH, it compares favorably with my original Hornet and my Portaphile V2 Maxxed, and it should be noted that I have always felt that the Portaphile was the best portable amp I've ever heard.

On the negative side, hi gain is useless.  Grainy, tinny, sibilant.  Not at all like the difference between hi and low gain on the GS-1.

That it's indistinguishable from the on-board amp in a Benchmark DAC doesn't impress me one little bit.  I've heard that amp, compared it to the GS-1, and was not interested in listening to the Benchmark amp any more.  

The O2 has a "tinniness" to it that reminds me of KICAS amp I returned.

FWIW, the components I used are laptop HD > stock HiFace > North Star 192 MKII > GS-1, Portaphile, Hornet, O2 > 880s.  Music: Chris Isaak, "Beyond the Sun" - 320mp3, Foster The People, "Torches" - flac.

But, maybe it's late and I'm tired, or it needs to be burned in or something, so I'll give it another listen tomorrow under better conditions.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #433 of 1,550

Quote:
On the negative side, hi gain is useless.  Grainy, tinny, sibilant.  Not at all like the difference between hi and low gain on the GS-1.

The O2 has a "tinniness" to it that reminds me of KICAS amp I returned.

So far I've used the O2 with HD25-1s, Thunderpants, SM3 and e-Q5, mostly fed straight from my Clip+, but also from a Pico DAC, and never have I witnessed any hint of tinnyness, sibilance or grain. It appears completely transparent.
If you can hear an audible differance between high and low gain, that is not attributable to either sound level or channel imbalance, I dare say your amplifier is defect.
Just for further clarification, is your 880s of the 600Ω variety?

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #434 of 1,550

Quote:
So far I've used the O2 with HD25-1s, Thunderpants, SM3 and e-Q5, mostly fed straight from my Clip+, but also from a Pico DAC, and never have I witnessed any hint of tinnyness, sibilance or grain. It appears completely transparent.
If you can hear an audible differance between high and low gain, that is not attributable to either sound level or channel imbalance, I dare say your amplifier is defect.
Just for further clarification, is your 880s of the 600Ω variety?

I have 2 Clips and a Fuze.  Adequate but mediocre sources.  I also have a Pico DAC that I use with my portables.  My '03 880s are not the 600Ω variety but my T-1s are.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my O2, I just think I'm using a better source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back