Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Jan 18, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #436 of 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[snip]

If you can hear an audible differance between high and low gain, that is not attributable to either sound level or channel imbalance, I dare say your amplifier is defect.

This was where I was going to go as well.  The high gain should sound pretty much identical to the low gain unless the high gain is causing clipping (and the input stage will clip no matter what the volume control is set to, if the input is too high), which is very plausible with many sources.  Default high gain is 6.5X.  If the source outputs any more than say 1.07V, it will clip with that gain.  Most DACs really shouldn't be outputting more than 2.8V but if they do, they'll clip the default low gain of 2.5X as well.

Definitely if the low gain and high gain sound different (uh aside from the volume difference) on the Clip or Fuze, or if you've otherwise confirmed you're not clipping the input stage with whatever it is you're using, something is up.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #437 of 1,550
I can attest to the ease of hearing differences between gain settings due to the difficulties of volume matching - once levels are more carefully controlled they sound identical. If the gain setting difference persists even with volume matching, either your amp is all kinds of broken or your source's input voltage is too high.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #438 of 1,550

Quote:
This was where I was going to go as well.  The high gain should sound pretty much identical to the low gain unless the high gain is causing clipping (and the input stage will clip no matter what the volume control is set to, if the input is too high), which is very plausible with many sources.  Default high gain is 6.5X.  If the source outputs any more than say 1.07V, it will clip with that gain.  Most DACs really shouldn't be outputting more than 2.8V but if they do, they'll clip the default low gain of 2.5X as well.

Definitely if the low gain and high gain sound different (uh aside from the volume difference) on the Clip or Fuze, or if you've otherwise confirmed you're not clipping the input stage with whatever it is you're using, something is up.

I'm trying to find the output voltage for my E7 and all I get is the output power, which I assume is already considering the amp. Did voldemort ever measure it as a DAC only? Also I don't know what kind of current it uses, so I can't find the voltage using the power even if it related to the DAC part.
Thanks for helping an undercover noob!

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #439 of 1,550
E7 output voltage is about 1.5V from memory: quite high for a USB-powered DAC. This could be completely wrong: will check later.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #441 of 1,550

Quote:
E7 output voltage is about 1.5V from memory: quite high for a USB-powered DAC. This could be completely wrong: will check later.

I make it out to be 1.55V into 16Ω and 2.2V into 300Ω.
I assume the discrepancy is due to current limiting, and that the higher value is what should be counted on when using it as a source.

http://content.miccastore.com/fiio-e7

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #442 of 1,550

Quote:
So wait, a 'better' source makes an amp sound tinny? Nothing tinny sounding here and my 2 gain settings sound the same, although they are not default, driving 150 ohm earphones. 

No, but a better source will be more revealing.  If your source is a restriction then the amp will not reveal it or itself.  

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #443 of 1,550

Quote:
No, but a better source will be more revealing.  If your source is a restriction then the amp will not reveal it or itself.  

I read this a lot. It sounds like a prescription for chasing a ghost with ever spiraling and growing costs. I can say this is the first time I've been completely satisfied with the sound I'm getting. Now I only wish I could get it in a more portable, smaller footprint to carry with me on the street. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #444 of 1,550
popcorn.gif
Subscribed

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #445 of 1,550

Quote:
I make it out to be 1.55V into 16Ω and 2.2V into 300Ω.
I assume the discrepancy is due to current limiting, and that the higher value is what should be counted on when using it as a source.

http://content.miccastore.com/fiio-e7

So you can only talk about the output voltage of a source when you're using a load?
Also do you know wether these refer to the amp output of the line-out?

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #446 of 1,550
Quote:

So you can only talk about the output voltage of a source when you're using a load?

Also do you know whether these refer to the amp output of the line-out?

The output voltage decreases with a low impedance load due to these factors:
  - output impedance
  - current limiting (this also causes distortion once the limit is reached)

It is probably the amplified output, since the numbers roughly match those in the NwAvGuy measurements. But limpidglitch apparently just calculated these from the specs (which most likely apply to the amp output), rather than doing actual measurements.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #447 of 1,550

Quote:
Quote:

The output voltage decreases with a low impedance load due to these factors:
  - output impedance
  - current limiting (this also causes distortion once the limit is reached)

It is probably the amplified output, since the numbers roughly match those in the NwAvGuy measurements. But limpidglitch apparently just calculated these from the specs (which most likely apply to the amp output), rather than doing actual measurements.

Correct. I saw no mention of a dedicated line out listed among the features, so assumed whatever power ratings were listed would be relevant.
And yes, the voltages were calculated (V=sqrt(P•Z))

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #448 of 1,550
Quote:
I saw no mention of a dedicated line out listed among the features, so assumed whatever power ratings were listed would be relevant.

True, it only seems to have a line output through the dock, so with standard 1/8" jacks it is only possible to access the amplified output that is about 2 Vrms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back