Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Jan 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #391 of 1,550

Quote:
The UHA-6S would probably qualify and the DAC1 certainly would.

That could be arranged at the Bay Area meet.  The other stuff, however.....

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #392 of 1,550
It's good when subjectivists agree to DB testing, because objectivists may increase the likelihood for the test to fail due to their own bias (both terms used loosely).
Also, the $500 thing is just an opportunity for a good deed, they are offered to any recitative organization of your choice.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #393 of 1,550

Quote:
Also, the $500 thing is just an opportunity for a good deed, they are offered to any recitative organization of your choice.

It also adds pressure to the listener or tested and none to the tester or designer of the experiment.  One records data, the other has to perform.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #394 of 1,550

Quote:
I'm not one who puts value in listening tests done by people who are not familiar or interested in audio or related gear.  That is absolutely pointless but is often done in such tests.  It's like asking a soccer mom who makes a better sports car between McLaren, Ferrari and Porsche.

No, I didnt say people with no interest in audio gear - I said people with no dog in this fight, philosophically or otherwise. The people Hi-Fi Choice gets in to do their testing arent 'soccer moms', but neither are they the guys who own hi-fi stores or work in the industry. Each has their own kit at home, and that is made clear in the intro to each test - plucking random people off the street isnt going to prove anything in a test like this.

I look forward to the results of your testing.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #395 of 1,550
Quote:
Quote:

It also adds pressure to the listener or tested and none to the tester or designer of the experiment.  One records data, the other has to perform.

Also true, but I hadn't realized that audiophilia also comes with performance anxiety
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #396 of 1,550

Quote:

I would say he has just as many reasons to be pressured as you. In fact, since he most likely won't be there, he has no control over the outcome, which might make him more nervous than you.
However, this shouldn't be a problem for you:

There's certainly a lot to TBD.  I'm certainly not flying or driving out of state to play this game.  I don't even care about the $500 'sweetner'.

No pressure. Good luck.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #397 of 1,550
hey hey hey
wheres the best place to buy one of these completed?

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #399 of 1,550
thanks PelPix.
anywhere to find the power specs on this thing
and
is there a desktop version available?
or only battery powered?

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #400 of 1,550
Quote:
thanks PelPix.
and
or only battery powered?

On Lord Voldermort's (aka NwAvGuy) blog.  We can't link to it from here but JDS Labs has a link.

A desktop revision is being designed but the biggest difference will just be ergonomics.  You can leave the current version plugged in all the time and it won't hurt anything.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #401 of 1,550

Quote:
thanks PelPix.
and
or only battery powered?

Theoretically, you can have your Objective2 built without batteries and use it as a 'desktop only' amp, but most people seem to be waiting for Voldemort to finalise the design details for the desktop version. I cant recall what sort of numbers he is talking for the desktop version, but you can expect a completed amp to cost more than $150.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #402 of 1,550
I have a question related to the O2 with battery vs no battery. Was it mentioned or tested anywhere for the performance?  My assumption is that battery provide cleaner power so resulting in better sound. Am I wrong? 
confused.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #403 of 1,550
The measure with or without batteries are available... somewhere online. There are essentially the same except for a slightly higher voltage swing on AC.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #405 of 1,550
Are there any more mass orders open for the O2? Or anyone who's taking orders in building these kits? I'd like to get one as well but can't seem to find any information on these. Would appreciate a PM with the Order details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back