Review: Jkeny’s modified Hiface
Jul 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #211 of 431

Quote:
I used the 10, 15, and 20dB attenuators with the MK1. They improved the sound in some ways (tighter, more focused) but not in others (drier, a bit thinner) with my previous DAC, the Buffalo32s. I generally found that the attenuators are DAC-dependent, but in most cases improve the sound overall. I didn't try them with the MK2 or MK3. However, John told me that he's heard some benefit from using a 20dB attenuator on the MK3. YMMV.

BTW, I don't feel the need to use attenuators with the MK3. It sounds perfect the way it is (which I can't say for any other transport before it).

If the MK3's SPDIF signal is in spec, using an attenuator will reduce the signal below spec, creating its own problems, no?

Was your DAC able to lock the signal with the 20dB attenuator on?

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #212 of 431

Quote:
If the MK3's SPDIF signal is in spec, using an attenuator will reduce the signal below spec, creating its own problems, no?

Was your DAC able to lock the signal with the 20dB attenuator on?

That's what I thought, but John said he heard slight improvements from the 20dB attenuator. I haven't had a chance to try it on the MK3, nor am I planning to. I don't feel it needs it.

The Buffalo32s got signal lock with all the attenuators I tried (10, 15, 20dB).

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #213 of 431

Quote:
That's what I thought, but John said he heard slight improvements from the 20dB attenuator. I haven't had a chance to try it on the MK3, nor am I planning to. I don't feel it needs it.

The Buffalo32s got signal lock with all the attenuators I tried (10, 15, 20dB).

Well, how do you know it won't make a difference (by reducing reflections) if you won't try it?
confused.gif

Did you have the MK3 when you had the Buff?

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #214 of 431

Quote:
I look forward to your experiences. Should sound top rate, just wonder what output implementation he uses. Do you have a link for the DAC review?

There is a post on diyaudio which gives more detail of the specific implementation if you're interested.  I can't find it right now but if you search for ES9022 you may be able to find it.

Here is the review on computeraudiophile. 
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/John-Kenny-Saber-DAC
He prefers it over the Wyred for Sound 2 which is some accolade.

It is probably unwise to go off the back of one internet review but I am confident in JK's ability as I've read loads of reviews of the MK1 & MK2 and everything was very positive.
Chris

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #215 of 431

Quote:
Well, how do you know it won't make a difference (by reducing reflections) if you won't try it?
confused.gif

Did you have the MK3 when you had the Buff?

I never said it won't make a difference. I said I don't want to change the sound I'm getting out of it currently, which to my ears is ideal.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #216 of 431
Edit

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #217 of 431

Quote:
Just picked up a used Mk2 from the classifieds (well paid for, it should arrive in a week or so)... curious to see what this will do for my fairly unconventional setup, which currently is as follows:

Based on some user accounts, I get the impression the jkeny devices tend toward the warm/musical side of neutral. Is that what you are looking for with the Sonett? Anyway it would be interesting to see your results. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #218 of 431
hi
I have the MK2 as well and before that I used The Squeezebox 3 modded by Boulder. I use the mk2 with 20 db att. Curiously as the SB3 was still in its place I used att on the SB3 and to my surprise it opened up, became darker and so on with 15 db att. My DEQX could not lock on with -20db. the SB3 spdif output is known to be in spec.

It means there are always cable reflections going on, even when "things" are within spec. If in spec it depends fully on the DAC if it can lock on with a (considerable) lower signal. But if it can, it will sound better

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #219 of 431

Quote:
hi
I have the MK2 as well and before that I used The Squeezebox 3 modded by Boulder. I use the mk2 with 20 db att. Curiously as the SB3 was still in its place I used att on the SB3 and to my surprise it opened up, became darker and so on with 15 db att. My DEQX could not lock on with -20db. the SB3 spdif output is known to be in spec.

It means there are always cable reflections going on, even when "things" are within spec. If in spec it depends fully on the DAC if it can lock on with a (considerable) lower signal. But if it can, it will sound better

How long is your cable?

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #220 of 431
Why did I stumble across this thread? My wallet does not forgive any of you!... Yet 
ph34r.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #222 of 431
I am seriously considering one of these - either the MK3 or the version with a dac to use with my JH3A and possibly other rigs, however, now i have started to wonder whether i should get this or a CLAS, since they are in the same price range, and seem to have very similar functionality.

any comments?

thanks

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #225 of 431
Quote:
Hi.

I'm torn between a Mk3 and a EVO. 

Anyone experienced both?

Cheers

Why not an audiophilleo 2?  It seems to be consistently higher rated than the EVO, have yet to see an impression of something that is better aside from megabuck DIs.  But I have yet to see one compared against the Mk3 which I'm sure is excellent.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back