Review: Jkeny’s modified Hiface
Sep 20, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #241 of 431

Quote:
When it comes to real time, digital audio transfer, the idea that's it's "just ones and zeroes" is a myth. If it was just transferring data from A to B, there would be no difference at all between asynchronous and adaptive, would there? Just 1s and 0s, moving data. Who cares where the clock comes from? Unfortunately things don't work that way.

Where in that spec does it say how to make a USB cable for real time digital audio streaming? I'm not seeing it.

A functional USB cable will not fail at its job. Sound will come out of it. Sound will also come out of speaker cables made out of aluminum or bronze as well. Would you want to listen to speakers using those cables? Probably not. They are "up to spec" though, as long as there's a positive and negative, they will work. Any USB cable with its wires and pins in the right place for the USB spec will work. USB was not designed for audiophile music streaming though, or it wouldn't have squeezed power and signal into the same bundle of wires.

If any thought was given to USB DACs when the design was created, it would resemble something more like internal SATA.

I've heard all that before. 

You're claiming audible differences between proper USB 2 hi-speed cables.

I doubt you have any data to support that statement?  If you do, please enlighten.

I don't doubt that you've heard differences between usb cables.  The better question is why?

Btw, do you have a Jkeny HiFace?

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #242 of 431

Quote:
I don't doubt that you've heard differences between usb cables.  The better question is why?

Btw, do you have a Jkeny HiFace?

The same reason that differences exist between coaxial digital cables, which like USB cables, are subject to noise, reflections due to impedance, etc. Even though they have the benefit of not having to power the device they are simultaneously transmitting digital audio to, the metal used and the adherence to 75 Ohms are still critical to achieving the best sound.

I don't have a JK Hiface yet, my KGSSHV and getting my EAD DAC tricked out by Noble are higher on the priority list at the moment.

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #243 of 431
A mk3 is on order for me - but I just realised there is no way I can live managing batteries therefore I will have to sell it when it arrives
ph34r.gif

Should have thought of that one earlier...
But when it comes to USB It would be interesting to test out ports with an USB debugger esp the SoTM card.
When it comes to USB my philosophy is the simpler the better, introducing a card which operates through PCI clock is just creating a new set of problems, and in my workstation the results are worse.  I had the same experience with USB isolators I tried.
Some digital cables definitely do measure differently in terms of the size of the eye opening, which is directly correlated with jitter, although I can't say for sure if this will affect distortion measurable or audibly.
I thought the whole point of asynchronous was to reduce the problems associated with USB controllers and cables anyway, and the jkenny mods don't draw USB power removing yet another factor.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #245 of 431
yeah charges while switched off - but still need to manage how long it is switched on.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #246 of 431

Quote:
yeah charges while switched off - but still need to manage how long it is switched on.

I leave mine on all day, never really think about charge times or anything. Just flick it off before I sleep, I once forgot to turn it off, but still ran for another day. So you might not find it a problem IMO.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #247 of 431
Before the thread gets derailed any further, can I suggest the USB cable discussion be taken to the appropriate thread on it. Also, I'd welcome a dedicated thread about dedicated music servers as the idea appeals to me (and it would help keep this thread on topic). 
smile.gif

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #248 of 431

Quote:
I leave mine on all day, never really think about charge times or anything. Just flick it off before I sleep, I once forgot to turn it off, but still ran for another day. So you might not find it a problem IMO.

Are there no charging procedures, for optimal battery charge and longevity?

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #251 of 431

Quote:
Are there no charging procedures, for optimal battery charge and longevity?

Quote:
Letting the batteries run all the way down to zero is not a good idea. I'm pretty sure there is overcharging protection in place, so on during the day/off at night should be perfectly fine.

That's right. Draining the batteries all the way to zero could reduce their life. Overcharging has no side-effects.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #253 of 431

Quote:

That's right. Draining the batteries all the way to zero could reduce their life. Overcharging has no side-effects.

I can confirm that draining the batteries to zero can degrade them. I left my MK1 until the batteries discharged completely, and now, I can't get it to recharge at all (it only plays for a few seconds before the batteries run out). I am currently hesitating between Jkeny's mk3 and the audiophilleo2 to replace/upgrade the mk1.

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #255 of 431

Quote:
Any recommendations for BNC/BNC digital cables for my system? 

VH Audio's Pulsar Ag ticks all the right boxes. Solid OCC silver, foam teflon insulation rather than the usual PE foam, and high quality Furutech BNC jacks. The price is $269 for 1M. VH also carries Neotech NEVD-2001 bulk S/Pdif cable which is $81/M, and they'll probably terminate it with BNC jacks for a fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back