REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Jun 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,471 of 1,670
Quote:
Thanks to both of you for the suggestion. The Audioengines don't seem widely distributed in France, and I'd hate to go for them without listening first.

Also, I find the prospect of owning monitoring equipment very appealing, however modest it may be or recreational its use. The abiding romance of the recording studio at work !

I'll note that the A5 is a noticeable upgrade over the A2.  The A2 must be used on pedestals or stands to reduce the mid bass to reasonable levels.  Flat on the desktop is a no-go with the A2, while the A5 are just fine that way.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #1,472 of 1,670
Quote:

I'll note that the A5 is a noticeable upgrade over the A2.  The A2 must be used on pedestals or stands to reduce the mid bass to reasonable levels.  Flat on the desktop is a no-go with the A2, while the A5 are just fine that way.

Eventually, I got my A5's on the DS2 desktop stands and the sound improved a lot.  But, nothing made them sound better, than the 100 Hz high pass filters I got when I added the S8 subwoofer.

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #1,473 of 1,670
Hi Guys.
I have  one Nuforce HDP paired HD 650.
I have a question: How I can connect my HDP to my tube power amplifier? I'd like to use my HDP as one  DAC not headamp.
It is possible?
In manual says : 
RCA Output
2.6 Vrms (cuts off when headphone is inserted)
Output impedance 100 Ohm

I can't understand this 100 ohm. Only 100 ohm speaker can be connected? 
I think I can connect + PC ( coaxial) to HDP and the HDP out to the tube power amplifier.

Help.

thx.

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,474 of 1,670
Quote:
Hi Guys.
I have  one Nuforce HDP paired HD 650.
I have a question: How I can connect my HDP to my tube power amplifier? I'd like to use my HDP as one  DAC not headamp.
It is possible?
In manual says : 
RCA Output
2.6 Vrms (cuts off when headphone is inserted)
Output impedance 100 Ohm

I can't understand this 100 ohm. Only 100 ohm speaker can be connected? 
I think I can connect + PC ( coaxial) to HDP and the HDP out to the tube power amplifier.

You are correct.  RCA out to power amplifier.  I have mine connected to powered speakers in the same manner.  As it says in the manual, the headphone will cut the signal off if inserted.  You can't listen to both at the same time.

Also, the line level output impedance has nothing to do with speaker impedance.  That relationship belongs to the power amp and speakers.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #1,475 of 1,670
Am I imagining things or is the HDP a lot cooler* when stood on its silicon stand ?
The difference seems striking.

* "cooler" as in "generates less heat", not "more dashing", though it is that too.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,476 of 1,670
When you guys have your HDP's in the Dac mode, what do you have the output gain set as? 100%?

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #1,478 of 1,670
Quote:
Am I imagining things or is the HDP a lot cooler* when stood on its silicon stand ?

* "cooler" as in "generates less heat", not "more dashing", though it is that too.

Ive actually never used it other than standing up.
Quote:
When you guys have your HDP's in the Dac mode, what do you have the output gain set as? 100%?

Depends on the headphones Im using, but most of the time Im around 50%-75%. And doesnt the system volume affect it?

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,479 of 1,670
Quote:

Well you're now exposing two large surfaces to air rather than one. Makes sense. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #1,480 of 1,670
Quote:
Ive actually never used it other than standing up.
Depends on the headphones Im using, but most of the time Im around 50%-75%. And doesnt the system volume affect it?

Um I meant in DAC mode as in RCA's out to an amp separate. The HDP is also a preamp so you can adjust the voltage for your line-out before it goes to the amp. Literally a pre-amp..amp.

This hobby confuses me.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,482 of 1,670
Quote:

At full gain the RCA output is 2.6Vrms.  Fixed outputs are typically 2.0Vrms so try setting the gain at about 75%.  The goal is to set the gain as high as possible without hearing any noise from the preamp.

THANK YOU.

I've been trying to figure that out for months now! SFLJSKjflashfjklsflHJKAFD.

Ok by coincidence I had it at that anyway just because I was paranoid. As a pre-amp going to my receiver, it's completely silent. The DAC is far superior to the amp circuit in this unit. Just gonna glue the knob at 75% and run it with tube amps when/if I ever get rich to some nice floor speakers.

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,484 of 1,670
I've been using the HDP as a DAC going into my Asgard via RCA.  I use Toslink for the input, and have absolutely no noise when putting the volume knob at 100%.  I would check the specifications of your amp, and if it can handle the input, you may as well just keep the volume setting at full (2.6Vrms).   

PC/Squeezebox Touch -> optical cable -> Icon HDP (volume level at 100%) -> RCA cable -> Asgard amp

I power the HDP with a LPS-1 linear power supply, also from Nuforce.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,485 of 1,670
Quote:
I've been using the HDP as a DAC going into my Asgard via RCA.  I use Toslink for the input, and have absolutely no noise when putting the volume knob at 100%.  I would check the specifications of your amp, and if it can handle the input, you may as well just keep the volume setting at full (2.6Vrms).   

PC/Squeezebox Touch -> optical cable -> Icon HDP (volume level at 100%) -> RCA cable -> Asgard amp

I power the HDP with a LPS-1 linear power supply, also from Nuforce.

Did you notice any difference when you added the LPS-1 to the HDP when listening directly out of the HDP and not just using it as a DAC?

Also, why have the Asgard? Did you not like the output of the HDP alone?

Lastly, why not a COAX cable from the squeezebox touch to the HDP? I noticed a slight improvement audio quality when using a coax cable instead of an optical cable between my SB Touch and HDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back