REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Mar 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #1,442 of 1,670

Quote:
HDP is still the best value but the Bifrost is a better DAC. It's not as aggressive sounding as the HDP, it's more refined and neutral without losing musicality. Thats pretty much the only way I know how to explain it. The HDP in DAC/Amp mode is almost overly punchy if youre a diehard neutral listener, almost more punchy than most dac/amp all-in-one's I've heard and thats what makes it more fun for everybody. It should have a cult following honestly but head-fi has always been about "flavor of the week" equipment anyway.

I thought the HDP as a DAC only sounds a little better than my Headroom Micro DAC, Pico DAC or DACport (used a DAC only).  Admittedly the others sound a little more refined and less aggressive, but the HDP seems to dig really deeply into the music and also energize you with it's PRaT and dynamics.  I do think the Digital Link III, Stello DA100, DACmini or Apogee mini-DAC are a step up, but at $700 - $1000 price vs $450.

As a headphone amp the HDP sounds just like a more powerful version of an RSA Protector in balanced mode, which is a little aggressive sounding too.  I was surprised at how much the HDP improves with my Sigma 11 PSU, but at that point it's no longer the "best value", although the sound gets closer to the DACmini but so does the price.

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #1,443 of 1,670

Quote:
I thought the HDP as a DAC only sounds a little better than my Headroom Micro DAC, Pico DAC or DACport (used a DAC only).  Admittedly the others sound a little more refined and less aggressive, but the HDP seems to dig really deeply into the music and also energize you with it's PRaT and dynamics.  I do think the Digital Link III, Stello DA100, DACmini or Apogee mini-DAC are a step up, but at $700 - $1000 price vs $450.

As a headphone amp the HDP sounds just like a more powerful version of an RSA Protector in balanced mode, which is a little aggressive sounding too.  I was surprised at how much the HDP improves with my Sigma 11 PSU, but at that point it's no longer the "best value", although the sound gets closer to the DACmini but so does the price.

Something about the DACmini about it's size makes it difficult to believe it could be that good, even though it really is that good.

I was actually about the buy the Sigma PSU before the Bifrost. Again I'm buying it mostly for it's form factor, it really is kinda hard to hear the difference.

I've never owned the SR-71 before, but I build a lot of cables terminated for them, it's pretty popular apparently.

Quote:
How much of an improvement is the bifrost + lry combo over the HDP?

My Lyr comes in tomorrow. I have plenty of headphones to try it out on. I accidently got too drunk (wait too drunk?) and stood on the cable when I was standing up so I have to fix my Magnum Grado but I'll have a decent writeup tomorrow for you guys. The HE-500 comes in tomorrow too.

I hope it's all worth the 1k I dumped on everything haha.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,445 of 1,670
I'll have impressions in a bit, those of you who own an HDP, just keep it for the HE-500's they're a good deal more efficient and sound full with the HDP, instead of brassy with overbearing highs like the HE-5LE did. Although when driven properly the HE-5LE and HE-500 actually can compete against each other which is completely surprising. I did not expect that at all.

Quote:
Yes, please do.  I am extremely interested in how the HE-500 sounds with the HDP compared to the lyr +bifrost

Of course, pics are needed.

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,446 of 1,670
So your saying both headphones sounded better through the HDP by itself?  So the HDP had enough amp to adequately drive both pairs?

Didnt see beginning of post.  I'll wait for the impressions

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #1,447 of 1,670
HeadphoneAddict,

I realize it's a slighty strange comparison due to the price difference but I'd love to get your opinion on the synergy between the D2000/7000 + NuForce HDP vs D2000/7000 + Audioengine D1. I gather you favor both but I'm curious if you'd recommend one over the other. Is the $449 HDP siginificantly better than the $169 D1? Better yet, how about the $299 NuForce HD vs the D1?

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,448 of 1,670

Quote:
HeadphoneAddict,

I realize it's a slighty strange comparison due to the price difference but I'd love to get your opinion on the synergy between the D2000/7000 + NuForce HDP vs D2000/7000 + Audioengine D1. I gather you favor both but I'm curious if you'd recommend one over the other. Is the $449 HDP siginificantly better than the $169 D1? Better yet, how about the $299 NuForce HD vs the D1?

That is a very good question!

I too would like to know. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #1,449 of 1,670
I would like to give feedback on my Nuforce HDP that I received yesterday . 
it is smaller than I thought . and it is nice size that I could transport from home to office use . 
without running in , it sounded great already , soundstage , clarify and bass is much better than other small amp that I have ( Matrix M-stage). 
I tested it on LCD2-2 / Q701 / DT1350 . all sounded very nice. 

this is using USB output that utilize the DAC and Amp portion of the HDP. I am a happy camper. 
out of curiosity , I route the signal out from Macbook > Kingrex U192 SPDIF converter > Violectric V800 >HDP .  comparing the DAC performance of HDP verus V800.
I would say HDP is > 90% of V800 performance . that convince me that DAC circuit in HDP is indeed high quality . although what DAC chip does HDP uses remains a secret. ..but I am not going to bother about it anymore as I like what i heard. 

I am currently running the HDP using USB input to complete full circuit run in . I am very excited what I will hear after 50 hours or so. 
for now . I pretty much decided that HDP will stay at my office desk with Grado RS1i and Ultrasone Edition 8 as my office rig , and Violectric V200/v800 and LCD2-2 will be my home rig .
and incoming DX100 and DT1350 /Vsonic GR07 be my portable rig.

Sorry , AKGQ701 + Matrix M-stage ... you have to go ...

Cheers. 
Raymond Lim 

P/S# Chris_himself .... thanks for the HDP . it is definitely best Buy for my intended setup. .. however. I am so tempted on your Schiit Biforst/Lyr and HE500/5E setup. good stuff !!

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #1,450 of 1,670

Quote:
I would like to give feedback on my Nuforce HDP that I received yesterday . 
it is smaller than I thought . and it is nice size that I could transport from home to office use . 
without running in , it sounded great already , soundstage , clarify and bass is much better than other small amp that I have ( Matrix M-stage). 
I tested it on LCD2-2 / Q701 / DT1350 . all sounded very nice. 

this is using USB output that utilize the DAC and Amp portion of the HDP. I am a happy camper. 
out of curiosity , I route the signal out from Macbook > Kingrex U192 SPDIF converter > Violectric V800 >HDP .  comparing the DAC performance of HDP verus V800.
I would say HDP is > 90% of V800 performance . that convince me that DAC circuit in HDP is indeed high quality . although what DAC chip does HDP uses remains a secret. ..but I am not going to bother about it anymore as I like what i heard. 

I am currently running the HDP using USB input to complete full circuit run in . I am very excited what I will hear after 50 hours or so. 
for now . I pretty much decided that HDP will stay at my office desk with Grado RS1i and Ultrasone Edition 8 as my office rig , and Violectric V200/v800 and LCD2-2 will be my home rig .
and incoming DX100 and DT1350 /Vsonic GR07 be my portable rig.

Sorry , AKGQ701 + Matrix M-stage ... you have to go ...

Cheers. 
Raymond Lim 

P/S# Chris_himself .... thanks for the HDP . it is definitely best Buy for my intended setup. .. however. I am so tempted on your Schiit Biforst/Lyr and HE500/5E setup. good stuff !!

Have you tried the M-Stage with the HDP? I think the M-Stage has more than enough power for HE-500 actually if you use the gain on HI, have you tried this?

The M-Stage with it's customizable opamp "cards" is actually a fairly versatile piece of equipment. Absolutely stellar with my HD580's and other people's cans as well. 

I sold my Matrix DAC and the M-Stage eventually because the HDP I had was already very good on it's own for the Grados (all I listened to prior to HifiMan) and the HD580. I would have not gotten rid of the HDP had it not been for the HE-5LE. Going to the HE-500, I sort of regret it since I have a Schiit stack now which is pretty much the way to go for these, but honestly it's not a WORLD of difference for about twice the money invested. I heard more of a difference going to Moon Silver Dragon V3 than I did between Bifrost and HDP.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,451 of 1,670

Quote:
HeadphoneAddict,

I would pick the HDP over the D1, if I had the extra budget.  I don't know much about the HD.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,453 of 1,670
Although the HDP can drive 600-ohm headphones as indicated by the website, can it actually do it? I just felt that it didn't drive my T1 correctly, and I indicated that I felt the bass was weak compared to my D7000.

That caused a poster to bring a frequency chart to the battle to dispute my claim.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #1,454 of 1,670

Quote:
Although the HDP can drive 600-ohm headphones as indicated by the website, can it actually do it? I just felt that it didn't drive my T1 correctly, and I indicated that I felt the bass was weak compared to my D7000.

That caused a poster to bring a frequency chart to the battle to dispute my claim.

The HDP drives my 600 ohm AKG K240M to decently loud volumes, but it's not an optimal combo like my Eddie Current ZDT.  The ZDT the only amp in the house that I like with the 600 ohm K240M. However, the HDP drives 600 ohm better than any of my portable DAC/amps.  I think HDP works great with the 300 ohm HD600/650, as well as lower impedance Denon, Ultrasone, HE-500 and LCD-2.  Many Grados are a little to aggressive for the HDP, but the HF-2 are okay.

I think the HD800 and 600 ohm T1 are both fairly picky of amps in terms of needing one that drives high impedance well and doesn't sound too aggressive.  On a budget, they both sounded good on a Schitt Valhalla OTL (tube) amp, and that's a good amp for high impedance phones.  I'd guess the Woo WA2 would be good with the 600 ohm phones too.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,455 of 1,670
I just picked one of these up to pair with my Denon D5000 and it sounds great, but I have a bit of a concern.

Is it normal that there is no volume output until the volume knob reaches around 9 o'clock? There is nothing at all and then it sort of kicks in suddenly at around the 8:30-9 o'clock mark. It's not as gradual as something like my Yamaha stereo receiver for example.

There is also some channel imbalance at this level but I gather that this is generally normal. It evens out quickly once the volume is increased to normal listening levels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back