REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Jul 31, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #1,486 of 1,670
Quote:
Did you notice any difference when you added the LPS-1 to the HDP when listening directly out of the HDP and not just using it as a DAC?

Also, why have the Asgard? Did you not like the output of the HDP alone?

Lastly, why not a COAX cable from the squeezebox touch to the HDP? I noticed a slight improvement audio quality when using a coax cable instead of an optical cable between my SB Touch and HDP.

Yeah the LPS-1 is BEAST, but it's rather expensive and truth be told, it was meant for their more expensive home equipment.

If you want to cut down on cost and have a better power supply built for you. You can have a Sigma-11 Linear power supply built for your. It does the same thing and it's custom built for you.

http://www.ybmaudio.com/products.html

You have to hear either power supply to believe it, it's fully worth the price.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #1,487 of 1,670
Quote:
Yeah the LPS-1 is BEAST, but it's rather expensive and truth be told, it was meant for their more expensive home equipment.

If you want to cut down on cost and have a better power supply built for you. You can have a Sigma-11 Linear power supply built for your. It does the same thing and it's custom built for you.

http://www.ybmaudio.com/products.html

You have to hear either power supply to believe it, it's fully worth the price.

So, the LPS-1 is $329 and a "custom" Sigma 11 at that link starts at $300.  What do yout get for $300 you don't get for $329?

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #1,488 of 1,670
Did you notice any difference when you added the LPS-1 to the HDP when listening directly out of the HDP and not just using it as a DAC?

No, not really.  On some music it seemed like there was a bit more detail, but most of the stuff I listen to isn't dynamic enough in range to showcase any improvement.  

Also, why have the Asgard? Did you not like the output of the HDP alone?

I just wanted to try the Asgard, as it was a reasonably inexpensive and I liked what I read about the company and the people that ran it.    After hearing it, I preferred it over the HDP.  It had tons of headroom for my Denon D5000's, and it was not as bright or harsh at higher volume levels.  It is only marginally better to my ears than the HDP, and I was going to use it at my office, but I just can't part with it in my computer room at home after having found that I enjoy it more. (I got an O2 for my office)

Lastly, why not a COAX cable from the squeezebox touch to the HDP?

For the SB Touch, I only use 1.5 FT cables, and there is no way I would be able to tell the difference between the 2 digital connection types.  I've been using optical for some time now mostly to ensure that I eliminate any minor grounding issues with my PC, and because I already have a 3-input optical switch, I chose to use that type of connection as I have multiple digital inputs that I use with the HDP.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,489 of 1,670
Quote:
So, the LPS-1 is $329 and a "custom" Sigma 11 at that link starts at $300.  What do yout get for $300 you don't get for $329?

You know what goes into a Sigma, and you can build one yourself. That peace of mind is why I would buy one.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #1,491 of 1,670
I agree that an upgraded PSU makes a big difference.  With my Sigma 11 PSU the soundstage becomes deeper and more holographic, and the amp sounds smoother and less aggressive and more natural.  While the DAC is better than the amp when using the stock PSU, the amp catches up a lot when you add the PSU.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #1,492 of 1,670
Hello all! I bought an Icon HDP three days ago. Burn-in of the headphone amp is ongoing to get it to open up - straight out of the box it sounded horrible, and now at about 60 hours it's still quite crappy (with Sennheiser HD600). But I'm sure it will improve!

I've been reading about linear PSUs here. My question is, would they improve the sound of the preamp also, or would that apply only to the headphone amp? (I'm also intending to use the HDP as a preamp to Proceed AMP 2 driving Amphion Argon 3 speakers).

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,493 of 1,670
Hello all! I bought an Icon HDP three days ago. Burn-in of the headphone amp is ongoing to get it to open up - straight out of the box it sounded horrible, and now at about 60 hours it's still quite crappy (with Sennheiser HD600). But I'm sure it will improve!

I've been reading about linear PSUs here. My question is, would they improve the sound of the preamp also, or would that apply only to the headphone amp? (I'm also intending to use the HDP as a preamp to Proceed AMP 2 driving Amphion Argon 3 speakers).

I'd say the RCA output improved with the PSU too, but it's not as big of a change as in the headphone amp. At 60 hours it should be sounding pretty decent with HD600, but by 300 hours there was a bit less grain and aggressiveness with mine. After burn in I compared with stock PSU to my RSA protector in balanced mode, and the amps sounded identical. Everyone praises the Protector driving balanced HD600, and this has even more power.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #1,494 of 1,670
Hi guys, i have just received my Nuforce HDP dac and i have a question for you. I use it connected to an amplifier (Atoll in50) with 2 Dali Icon 6 speakers. Regarding the volume knob, at which level should i keep the knob? Im usually adjusting volume with the remote controller for the amplifier. What do you suggest?
And then i also wanted to ask if you switch off everytime the HDP. Thanks

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #1,495 of 1,670
Quote:
Hi guys, i have just received my Nuforce HDP dac and i have a question for you. I use it connected to an amplifier (Atoll in50) with 2 Dali Icon 6 speakers. Regarding the volume knob, at which level should i keep the knob? Im usually adjusting volume with the remote controller for the amplifier. What do you suggest?
And then i also wanted to ask if you switch off everytime the HDP. Thanks

75%, anything past that, and youre amplifying the signal. I got this directly from Nuforce

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #1,496 of 1,670
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by setting the volume at 75%.  If a digital input is used, the signal comes into the Icon HDP, goes through the DAC circuitry, and then a Vrms signal is sent out the RCA connectors to your amplifier.  The HDP should be acting as a pre-amp, and the volume pot is just passively adjusting the overall signal level.  It should not be changing the characteristics of the sound, and if you have an amplifier rated high enough to accept a 2.6Vrms signal, you should have absolutely no issues with setting the volume of the HDP to 100%, if that is your preference.

I don't see how setting the volume level at 75% is any better than setting it at 50% or 100%.

Do you have a link to where NuForce made this claim?  I'd like to better understand the reference from which this comment was being made.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #1,498 of 1,670
2.6Vrms is max, so perhaps 75% is meant to represent 2Vrms, which is typically considered to be the nominal line level output signal for a lot of equipment?  That said, there are DAC's available with much higher output levels.  I'm far from an expert in this field, but if your input signal is too high, the amplifier will clip, and you should notice this while listening at any volume level.

If you don't hear any background hiss from the HDP, and you don't get clipping with your amplifier, there should be no concern by leaving the volume level at the maximum settings when using the HDP as a pre-amp. Now, the volume levels might be too loud at that setting, and you may wish to attenuate the signal via the HDP's volume control, but that is a personal preference that will be different for everyone, and depending on the rest of the equipment being used.  

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,499 of 1,670
You can adjust the knob all the way, the HDP is a very effective pre-amp but for neutralities sake, 75% is ideal.

As for "passive" adjustment of the line-out signal, you guys must not have ever used it as a DAC only.

It more or less has the same function it does, except for technically it's only sending out a line out signal. The gain knob more or less does the same thing.

It was in an e-mail but it's been stated before I believe.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,500 of 1,670
I have been using the Icon HDP as a DAC only for quite some time now with my Schiit Asgard amp.  I'm very familiar with what it does, although I would agree that I do not necessarily understand how it works in great detail.

What do you mean by "for neutrality's sake 75% ideal"?  Ideal for what?  I think the goal would be to have a gain setting that would be sufficient enough to allow your amp to make use of most of the volume range on its dial, while eliminating any noticeable hiss.  Depending on the headphones and amp being used, and the preference of the person listening, the Vrms output of the HDP could be just about anything in its range.

I don't believe there is a defined best setting.  IEM's with an Asgard might only require 25% from the HDP.  A pair of Sennheiser HD-800 headphones might not be loud enough at 75% without having to nearly max out the amp's volume.  100% might be the ideal setting in that situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back