REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Apr 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #1,276 of 1,670
Just a quick note - the 15v Sigma 11 PSU that I got from Sid-Fi does noticeably improve the HDP's transparency and soundstage, micro-detail, ambience, air and space.  A regulated linear PSU is just what the HDP needs to take a nice step up in sound quality.  It's less aggressive sounding, and more open and transparent or "see through", and it gets much closer to the $800 CEntrance DACport, although still slightly behind and also cheaper still.  I'm still very impressed with the improvements.  This is why I have a 12v sigma 11 on my Apogee mini-DAC and a 24v Sigma 11 on my Travagans Red.  The Sigma 11 also really improved the Grahm Slee Novo and Solo SRG II noticeably. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #1,277 of 1,670
Larry, thanks for posting your impressions of the Sigma 11. I'm glad you are enjoying it so well. Your impressions exactly match my experience with it and really show just how great of a DAC the HDP has for the price - its really just a phenominal value.

Unfortunately for me, my new setup that I sold both HDP and Sigma 11 to fund, the Audio-gd NFB-10WM, lacks the black background and level of micro-detail and layering that the Sigma 11 brought to my HDP. This is pretty frustrating as it cost me $850 and still lags behind. HDP owners take note.

That being said, the NFB-10WM has some very nice features to it. It's amp section is much more powerful and really commands my HD 650 with much more authority. This is particularly noticeable in its bass control. NFB is also more neutral, transparent, and has a fuller and more authoritative sound. In balanced mode it has very nice soundstage which clearly exceeds HDP stock, but it doesn't quite have the separation and subtle layering and positioning the HDP and Sigma 11 combo had.

I'm honestly a little tempted to sell my new unit and pickup a new HDP and Sigma 11. I'll probably try a nice power conditioner first and see if that can make up the difference. If so, it will give me the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Just a quick note - the 15v Sigma 11 PSU that I got from Sid-Fi does noticeably improve the HDP's transparency and soundstage, micro-detail, ambience, air and space.  A regulated linear PSU is just what the HDP needs to take a nice step up in sound quality.  It's less aggressive sounding, and more open and transparent or "see through", and it gets much closer to the $800 CEntrance DACport, although still slightly behind and also cheaper still.  I'm still very impressed with the improvements.  This is why I have a 12v sigma 11 on my Apogee mini-DAC and a 24v Sigma 11 on my Travagans Red.  The Sigma 11 also really improved the Grahm Slee Novo and Solo SRG II noticeably. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #1,279 of 1,670
After searching around for a bit I seem to be getting quite a few differing opinions here. Some people are saying that the HDP has a great amp, but an ok DAC while others are saying that it makes for a great DAC, but an ok amp. Which is it? Also, overall, if I were just looking for a DAC, buying a standalone DAC would generally be better for the same price right?

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #1,281 of 1,670
You can get it from GlassJar, although Nuforce *should* be releasing info in the next week or two.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #1,282 of 1,670

Quote:
After searching around for a bit I seem to be getting quite a few differing opinions here. Some people are saying that the HDP has a great amp, but an ok DAC while others are saying that it makes for a great DAC, but an ok amp. Which is it? Also, overall, if I were just looking for a DAC, buying a standalone DAC would generally be better for the same price right?

The DAC on the HDP is a little better than the amp section, and it beats my other $400 or cheaper DACs on hand with a line-out (HR Micro DAC, Pico DAC, iBasso D10, iBasso D4, Nuforce uDAC-2).  Only the DACport comes close, and I found in my comparisons that the HDP DAC has a slightly better sense of air and micro-detail and extension, although the DACport sounded a little more refined.  The DACport has no line-out and I was using it as a pre-amp via the headphone jack output, into my Amphora, WA6 and eXStatA when I did the comparisons.  The $500 Apogee Duet might be slightly better as a DAC, as I once said the Duet was 98% of my Apogee mini-DAC which is also better.  I don't recall a lot about the Duet headphone out except that it was slightly better than my mini-DAC headphone out (like the HDP) but the Duet headphone out had too much hiss when I tested it.

I think that the HDP is worth it even if it was only a DAC, and the headphone amp is on par with or better than some other $200-400 headphone amps, reminding me the most of my balanced RSA Protector amp.  In side by side comparisons the RSA Protector in balanced mode with HD600/800 and HE-5 LE sounds almost the same as the HDP with these same phones using a single ended adapter.  Power-wise the HDP can drive the HE-6 and the Protector can't.  Without a balanced cable the Protector is inadequate for the LCD-2 as well, while the HDP is a good match for those.

[EDIT - I want to add that the lesser DACs I mentioned in my post all sound very good via line-out.  The HDP is not jarringly different at a similar price point, but I felt a better sense of air and space and micro-detail with my 24/96 recordings from the HDP than the similarly priced or cheaper DACs.  And, with my SR-71b amp I was definitely hearing better bass extension with the HDP as source than the Pico DAC that I was using previously (that difference in bass depth went away when I switched to the ALO Amphora amp, so it's a synergy issue with the SR-71b).  Basically the sound plus features and flexibility of the HDP DAC put it over the top for me vs most of these other DACs].

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #1,283 of 1,670
Apr 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,284 of 1,670
You can email Jeff at GlassJar about an s11. He does have them, but they aren't listed.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,285 of 1,670
Is the Sigma 11 different from the Sigma 22 listed in that link?
I ask because the URL for the 22 indicates a Sigma 11

Quote:
You can email Jeff at GlassJar about an s11. He does have them, but they aren't listed.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,286 of 1,670
The s22 is basically two s11 back to back, creating a dual rail power supply. This is only useful for those devices which can use it (like the b22 or a20 amplifiers). Most other devices use a simple DC power supply and the s11 is sufficient.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #1,287 of 1,670
Thank you...
wink.gif

Quote:
The s22 is basically two s11 back to back, creating a dual rail power supply. This is only useful for those devices which can use it (like the b22 or a20 amplifiers). Most other devices use a simple DC power supply and the s11 is sufficient.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #1,288 of 1,670
Any idea what the Sigma 11 kits go for? Let us know if any of you guys find out.

Quote:

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,290 of 1,670

Quote:
The DAC on the HDP is a little better than the amp section, and it beats my other $400 or cheaper DACs on hand with a line-out (HR Micro DAC, Pico DAC, iBasso D10, iBasso D4, Nuforce uDAC-2).  Only the DACport comes close, and I found in my comparisons that the HDP DAC has a slightly better sense of air and micro-detail and extension, although the DACport sounded a little more refined.  The DACport has no line-out and I was using it as a pre-amp via the headphone jack output, into my Amphora, WA6 and eXStatA when I did the comparisons.  The $500 Apogee Duet might be slightly better as a DAC, as I once said the Duet was 98% of my Apogee mini-DAC which is also better.  I don't recall a lot about the Duet headphone out except that it was slightly better than my mini-DAC headphone out (like the HDP) but the Duet headphone out had too much hiss when I tested it.

I think that the HDP is worth it even if it was only a DAC, and the headphone amp is on par with or better than some other $200-400 headphone amps, reminding me the most of my balanced RSA Protector amp.  In side by side comparisons the RSA Protector in balanced mode with HD600/800 and HE-5 LE sounds almost the same as the HDP with these same phones using a single ended adapter.  Power-wise the HDP can drive the HE-6 and the Protector can't.  Without a balanced cable the Protector is inadequate for the LCD-2 as well, while the HDP is a good match for those.

[EDIT - I want to add that the lesser DACs I mentioned in my post all sound very good via line-out.  The HDP is not jarringly different at a similar price point, but I felt a better sense of air and space and micro-detail with my 24/96 recordings from the HDP than the similarly priced or cheaper DACs.  And, with my SR-71b amp I was definitely hearing better bass extension with the HDP as source than the Pico DAC that I was using previously (that difference in bass depth went away when I switched to the ALO Amphora amp, so it's a synergy issue with the SR-71b).  Basically the sound plus features and flexibility of the HDP DAC put it over the top for me vs most of these other DACs].

Having heard the hdp and dacmini, do you think that the $400 price difference is worth it? Do they sound a lot different? I'm interested in how the dacmini stacks up against the hdp using the d7000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back