REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Apr 12, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #1,291 of 1,670
Nuforce LPS-1, LPS-2U-96 will be shipping April 25 (very real this time, it is coming out of production line).

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/lps1u/index.php

LPS-2U has 2 15V outputs (1A and 4A), ideally for customers who have Icon HDP and Icon Amp.  The USB to S/PDIF converter provides ground/noise isolation from the computer.
Computer -> USB -> SPDIF -> Icon HDP. Together with linear PSU, it raise the performance of HDP to the next level.

LPS-1 and LPS-2U-96K available April 25.
Note that LPS-2U-192K estimated ship date is July, 2011.
Upgrade from LPS-1 to LPS-2U-96K for $110 (with self installed kit)
Upgrade from LPS-1 to LPS-2U-192K for $170 (with self installed kit)

If you can find cheaper and reliable linear PSU, go for it. Otherwise you can buy the above for added features and performance assurance.
LPS-2U is versatile and can be used for other high performance DAC.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #1,293 of 1,670
Woh, I just saw that Nuforce released a high-end dedicated with balanced outputs...looks hot.

http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/Dac-HPAmp/dac9/index.php

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #1,294 of 1,670
Having heard the hdp and dacmini, do you think that the $400 price difference is worth it? Do they sound a lot different? I'm interested in how the dacmini stacks up against the hdp using the d7000.

I compared the DACmini and stock HDP in my October 2010 RMAF impressions thread, and would suggest taking a look there first.

The HDP gives a lot of bang for the buck at almost half the cost of the DACmini. With the HDP's stock PSU the DACmini is farther ahead than if the HDP is used with a S11 PSU, because it's a bit more neutral and transparent. Adding a Sigma 11 PSU really has closed the gap considerably, and the combo is still cheaper than the DACmini; but I don't have a complete and thorough comparison of the two after the upgrade, and it might be a long time before I'm feeling well enough to concentrate on that.

If you don't have the budget for a DACmini you can get the HDP now and then when you have more money upgrade the PSU later and get pretty close, but this way you can do things in stages as you can afford them. At that point a bigger concern might be whether you need the better low volume tracking of the DACmini volume pot, or the form factor, etc. Basically I'm really pleased with the improvement the HDP made with the S11, but I'm not sure if it fully matches the DACmini, although most of the areas where the DACmini was ahead of the HDP are audibly improved vs before. It's like when I upgraded from my balanced RSA Protector to the balanced RSA SR-71b - everything became less aggressive and more transparent, refined, uncolored, open and spacious.

Apr 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #1,296 of 1,670
Hey guys any advice on cleaning the HDP? I just soak the paper towel with warm water and sort of just wipe it off, but I wonder if this would damage the silver color on the case overtime. Maybe I should've gotten the black one..

Apr 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,297 of 1,670
Are you just dusting it off? Just a wipe with a dry cloth should be sufficient.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #1,299 of 1,670
Saran wrap your gear? Or just plop a plastic bag overtop your expensive stuff while eating.

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #1,302 of 1,670

Quote:
It should be the same device except for lack of pre-amp output.

Actually that is incorrect.  The HD is the same device except for lack of analog and digital inputs other than USB.  Basically, the only input is USB, but the output is still linked to the volume knob so can be used directly with a power amp.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #1,303 of 1,670
Whoops, maybe I was thinking of something else (something like the udac2HP maybe?). Anyhow, edited out my above post to avoid confusion.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,304 of 1,670
Has anybody taken any measurements with and without a better PS?  If so, I want to see how it it differs.  Thanks

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #1,305 of 1,670
Hey guys, 

I just got a Nuforce Icon HDP and have been listening via USB for around an hour with the Sennheiser HD 600. Music sounds bright and a bit thinner than I would perceive live music acoustically with my ears.

I've read that burn-in apparently alters the sound of the HDP - has anyone here actually found the HDP sound to change after a few weeks/hundred hours if 'burn-in'?

Also, if doing a 'burn-in,' would you recommend leaving headphones plugged in, or is the process still effective if the headphones are removed?

Many thanks,
Windsor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back