REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Mar 16, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,262 of 1,670
I definitely second kite7's comments. I would also add that it really helps to give a darker black background as well, which is what I think is behind making everything more clear and accurate sounding as well as improving micro details as already mentioned. I specifically found separation and placement to be more refined and convincing.

Twinster, HeadphoneAddict tried the larger 42W power supply and has posted impressions on it a few times in this thread. You should be able to find his posts using the search feature for this thread. Overall, I don't think it brought about the improvements we are describing. That would require a more expensive high-end low noise power supply like Sigma 11 or most likely the Nuforce ones coming out. I have no reason to doubt they will be awesome performance much as HDP has been.
Quote:
In general I find dedicated power supplies open up the soundstage, tighten the bass impact and allows micro details more easily. Is it a massive difference? Well that's debatable when we're talking about achieving the last few percentages of audio. If you don't need a USB to Toslink converter then go for the cheaper option.

Any pictures of the power supplies?

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,263 of 1,670
Sold. Larry, I wonder if your impressions will be similar to mine when comparing HDP with the stock wal-wart and with Sigma 11. I'd love to hear about it if you can spare a minute to post impressions in the future.

Quote:
PM sent !!

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #1,264 of 1,670

Quote:
Is it only me or that is a lot of money for a power supply. I was expecting around $250 but not double. I guest the Sigma 11 remain a good option.

I know. We have always try to keep the price reasonable. Raw materials like copper have double in price within the past year.  US currency has been dropping. Ouch!
We don't even know how long we can hold the price of our Icon series products. That's the price we paid when we use too much metal and quality parts.

Correction on the LPS-1 configurations.
The standard LPS-1 is $329 and only come with 1 single 15V/4A output.
There are two options:
24bit/96kHz USB to SPDIF converter module with extra 15V/1A power module  $110
24bit/192kHz USB to SPDIF converter module with extra 15V/1A power module $170  (this option is not available until further notice, may be never if it is not good enough)

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #1,265 of 1,670
Thank you Jason for the update information on the LPS. I'm a new owner of the HDP so I'll enjoy it with the original power supply for now (And I don't have any concern on the quality of sound I'm going to get base on my demo test from a friend unit) but you know this hobby always have us looking for the extreme in music reproduction and knowing that we can gain another x% is always exacting.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #1,267 of 1,670
Mar 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #1,269 of 1,670

OMG! i cant' believe this! lol I really wanted your Sigma 11! I was going to tell you as a joke to sell it to me someday... and look what happened. I didn't visit Head-Fi for a few weeks and I lost a huge opportunity lol. Anyway, thanks for sharing your impressions, I think I'll get the Linear PSU instead... 

BTW, Sid-Fi, what rig are you planning on buying now? Now that you're going balanced, please PM me if you ever get interested in selling your Jenna Labs DIY cable
Quote:
Sold. Larry, I wonder if your impressions will be similar to mine when comparing HDP with the stock wal-wart and with Sigma 11. I'd love to hear about it if you can spare a minute to post impressions in the future.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #1,270 of 1,670
When will the LPS-1 be available in the website?

Quote:
I know. We have always try to keep the price reasonable. Raw materials like copper have double in price within the past year.  US currency has been dropping. Ouch!
We don't even know how long we can hold the price of our Icon series products. That's the price we paid when we use too much metal and quality parts.

Correction on the LPS-1 configurations.
The standard LPS-1 is $329 and only come with 1 single 15V/4A output.
There are two options:
24bit/96kHz USB to SPDIF converter module with extra 15V/1A power module  $110
24bit/192kHz USB to SPDIF converter module with extra 15V/1A power module $170  (this option is not available until further notice, may be never if it is not good enough)

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #1,271 of 1,670
Hi there, sorry to hear about your lost opportunity! I ordered an Audio-gd NFB-10WM. Its a fully balanced DAC and and fully balanced amplifier in one unit based on a newer version of their Roc amplifier. Actually, my Jena Labs cable is becoming a balanced cable this weekend so sorry there as well
tongue_smile.gif
. It has four separated insulated strands of copper, which is perfectly conducive to reterminating it balanced with Neutrik XLR plugs.

Quote:

OMG! i cant' believe this! lol I really wanted your Sigma 11! I was going to tell you as a joke to sell it to me someday... and look what happened. I didn't visit Head-Fi for a few weeks and I lost a huge opportunity lol. Anyway, thanks for sharing your impressions, I think I'll get the Linear PSU instead... 

BTW, Sid-Fi, what rig are you planning on buying now? Now that you're going balanced, please PM me if you ever get interested in selling your Jenna Labs DIY cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back