REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Mar 8, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,246 of 1,670

Quote:
More Impressions on Improvements to HDP from Sigma 11 and Pangea Power Cables

I am not putting down Sigma 11. Just want to remind people that our long delayed linear PSU is going to ship in April.  If this is just another linear PSU, then I won't make a big deal.
But it includes a 192kHz USB to S/PDIF converter with the S/PDIF signal being transformer-coupled for highest degree of isolation when used with Icon HDP.
You get two products in one
dt880smile.png

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #1,247 of 1,670

Quote:

I am not putting down Sigma 11. Just want to remind people that our long delayed linear PSU is going to ship in April.  If this is just another linear PSU, then I won't make a big deal.
But it includes a 192kHz USB to S/PDIF converter with the S/PDIF signal being transformer-coupled for highest degree of isolation when used with Icon HDP.
dt880smile.png

That's pretty cool - the $700 Cullen Mods that I almost got for my old Digital Link III DAC would use something similar to isolate the Coax S/PDIF signal.

Can this S/PDIF converter do all sampling rates, including 88.2 and 176.4 in addition to the usual 44.1/48/96/192? 

Will you push it to 15v or leave it at 12v?

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #1,248 of 1,670

Quote:
Hey,

Just a quick question, how well does this amp/dac pair with the HD650? And will this be a noticable upgrade from my current Asus Xonar Essence STX?

Hi,

For what it's worth, i've had the Icon HDP for approx 1 month now, using it with D2000s. I only use the amp section, fed by an Audio-GD19 Mklll (which destroys the DAC in the Icon btw, however that is not a fair comparison) and i am very, very pleased with the SQ. The Icon HDP is the best headphone amp i've owned and the 5th one after using; Project Headbox ll, Shanling PH-100, LD Mklll and Audio-GD C2.

Pros:
Tight, clean bass
Midrange clarity
Dynamics
Decent power output
Amazing versatility

Cons:
Somewhat narrow sound stage

Note: A BIG thank you to everyone on this forum for sharing their results and pushing me in the direction of the Icon HDP. I am very happy with it :)

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #1,249 of 1,670

Quote:
Hey,

Just a quick question, how well does this amp/dac pair with the HD650? And will this be a noticable upgrade from my current Asus Xonar Essence STX?

The slightly bright sound of the HDP pairs well with the lush warm sound of the 650's thus there is great synergy between the HDP and the HD650.  I'm really happy with that combination.

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #1,250 of 1,670

Quote:
I got my Sigma 11 and Pangea power cables in and have burned them in for a few days. I have been doing some critical A-B comparisons tonight switching back and forth between the stock wal-wart and power cable and the sigma 11 and Pangea power cable. I mostly used 24/96 HDTracks like Chesky Record's Ultimate Demonstration Disc 2 and listened to short minute clips of various tracks over and over between both setups.

While I don't want to really elaborate a whole lot at the moment and post a long review of impressions, I will say that the benefit from the Sigma 11 and Pangea power cable over the stock power supply are significant and not subtle under critical listening comparisons. The main improvement is definitely that the soundstage widens and there is a lot more air between instruments. There is also a darker black background and better detail so you hear much more refinement in the same passages. It really just feels like I upgraded the HDP to a higher version that costs a couple hundred more bucks.

Overall, I'm really glad that I sprung for the Sigma 11 and power cables. Between them and my jena labs cable for HD 650, this is impressive performance for the price. Since I plan to have my main rig center around HDP for at least a year, upgrading the power components were well worth it to me. If I were closer to springing for a much more expensive setup in the near future I might not have bothered though. I'm sure I'll post more impressions later if there is interest.

- Sorry for the mess behind the picture. Also, I really need to clean my laptop screen! That's what bedside listening in the dark will do for you, lol.

Where did you buy from sigma 11 psu , Can you give me direct link please ?

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #1,251 of 1,670

Quote:

dt880smile.png

Ohh I can't see your comment , how much cost of your official linear psu 

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #1,252 of 1,670
I picked up some extra cash and am leaning towards upgrading to a pricier balanced setup. If anyone is interested in picking up my Sigma 11, which was just created for me locally a month or two ago, send me a PM. I thought I would mention it here since it is so hard to find a good DIYer that can make a quality one, especially near the price I got mine for. See a few pages back for my impressions. It has been a very surprising upgrade. I'm enjoying the hobby so much that I am now planning on setting aside most cash I run into and consistently upgrading over time. Needless to say, I didn't plan on upgrading this soon.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #1,253 of 1,670

Quote:
I picked up some extra cash and am leaning towards upgrading to a pricier balanced setup. If anyone is interested in picking up my Sigma 11, which was just created for me locally a month or two ago, send me a PM. I thought I would mention it here since it is so hard to find a good DIYer that can make a quality one, especially near the price I got mine for. See a few pages back for my impressions. It has been a very surprising upgrade. I'm enjoying the hobby so much that I am now planning on setting aside most cash I run into and consistently upgrading over time. Needless to say, I didn't plan on upgrading this soon.

PM sent !!

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #1,254 of 1,670
NuForce LPS-1U (MSRP $499) - Low noise Linear Power Supply with 24bit-96kHz USB to 24bit-192kHz S/PDIF converter. Provides two power outputs: 15V/1A and 15V/4A.
   Upgradable (additional cost) to 24bit/192kHz USB to 24bit/192kHz S/PDIF when available. 

NuForce LPS-1 (MSRP $329) - Low noise Linear Power Supply with single 15V/4A output.

Shipping mid April.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #1,255 of 1,670

Quote:
NuForce LPS-1U (MSRP $499) - Low noise Linear Power Supply with 24bit-96kHz USB to 24bit-192kHz S/PDIF converter. Provides two power outputs: 15V/1A and 15V/4A.
   Upgradable (additional cost) to 24bit/192kHz USB to 24bit/192kHz S/PDIF when available. 

NuForce LPS-1 (MSRP $329) - Low noise Linear Power Supply with single 15V/4A output.

Shipping mid April.

oha !!!

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,258 of 1,670
I own a Nuforce Icon HDP, connected via USB to my iMac, for use as a headphone amp driving my HD650s.  I'm not really up on the technical side of this so please help me out here: in simple terms, would purchasing one of these new power supplies improve the sound I hear and, if so, which one should I buy? To make it clear, I have know idea what the two product in one version would do for me so i would welcome an explanation!

BTW, I'm in the UK.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #1,259 of 1,670
Quote:
I own a Nuforce Icon HDP, connected via USB to my iMac, for use as a headphone amp driving my HD650s.  I'm not really up on the technical side of this so please help me out here: in simple terms, would purchasing one of these new power supplies improve the sound I hear and, if so, which one should I buy? To make it clear, I have know idea what the two product in one version would do for me so i would welcome an explanation!

BTW, I'm in the UK.

In general I find dedicated power supplies open up the soundstage, tighten the bass impact and allows micro details more easily. Is it a massive difference? Well that's debatable when we're talking about achieving the last few percentages of audio. If you don't need a USB to Toslink converter then go for the cheaper option.

Any pictures of the power supplies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back