REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Feb 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,216 of 1,670
Here's your answer, I asked about the colors as well earlier
wink.gif

Quote:
We just didn't sell the blue or red chassis HDP in the USA. Blue and red can be purchase on special request.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #1,221 of 1,670
Alright so I've been having a problem with the coax and optical outs on my HDP. I simply cannot get any sound so some out when i have my HDP set to digital and a coax or optical cable plugged into the appropriate spot on the HDP and then into the S/PDIF port on my Asus essence stx. I was told to come here to see if i could get my problem resolved. More info here...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537549/coaxial-on-hdp

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,222 of 1,670

Quote:
Alright so I've been having a problem with the coax and optical outs on my HDP. I simply cannot get any sound so some out when i have my HDP set to digital and a coax or optical cable plugged into the appropriate spot on the HDP and then into the S/PDIF port on my Asus essence stx. I was told to come here to see if i could get my problem resolved. More info here...

First, you need to understand the HDP has no coax or optical outs....those are inputs.  You are connecting your STX spdif output to the HDP coaxial INPUT.  Make sure nothing is plugged into the 3.5mm jack on the HDP as that takes precedence and will effectively lock you out of the coaxial connector if something is in there.  Set the 3 position switch on the HDP to the center D setting to pick an SPDIF digital input being the input source.  Play your music directed to the STX in spdif output mode, but hear the sound coming from your HDP.  You will not see the HDP on the computer this way, just feed everything to the STX, the sound will come out of the HDP.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #1,224 of 1,670

Quote:

BCWang pretty well answered this. You need to make sure your Asus is configured to send via S/PDIF and that the Asus is your active output on the computer. I would read your manual or search on the Asus and see what the protocol for using S/PDIF output is.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,225 of 1,670
I got my Sigma 11 and Pangea power cables in and have burned them in for a few days. I have been doing some critical A-B comparisons tonight switching back and forth between the stock wal-wart and power cable and the sigma 11 and Pangea power cable. I mostly used 24/96 HDTracks like Chesky Record's Ultimate Demonstration Disc 2 and listened to short minute clips of various tracks over and over between both setups.

While I don't want to really elaborate a whole lot at the moment and post a long review of impressions, I will say that the benefit from the Sigma 11 and Pangea power cable over the stock power supply are significant and not subtle under critical listening comparisons. The main improvement is definitely that the soundstage widens and there is a lot more air between instruments. There is also a darker black background and better detail so you hear much more refinement in the same passages. It really just feels like I upgraded the HDP to a higher version that costs a couple hundred more bucks.

Overall, I'm really glad that I sprung for the Sigma 11 and power cables. Between them and my jena labs cable for HD 650, this is impressive performance for the price. Since I plan to have my main rig center around HDP for at least a year, upgrading the power components were well worth it to me. If I were closer to springing for a much more expensive setup in the near future I might not have bothered though. I'm sure I'll post more impressions later if there is interest.

- Sorry for the mess behind the picture. Also, I really need to clean my laptop screen! That's what bedside listening in the dark will do for you, lol.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #1,226 of 1,670
I have heard pro 900 with HDP although only for 20-30 minutes. I thought it actually went pretty well with HDP. I worried it might be a little too bright with HDP, but that didn't seem to be the case. Besides the bass being ridiculously overpowering, I thought it would be a pretty nice combo. I compared it to the Matrix M-Stage and thought that HDP was at least as good. They were both very close in performance. I thought M-Stage might have had a little more sub bass rumble while HDP was a little quicker and snappier. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Has anyone try the hdp with ultrasone pro 900 ? HOw is the sound ?

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #1,227 of 1,670
Thanks a lot for sharing your impressions, I was looking forward for them since I was really curious about how the HDP would improve with the Sigma 11. I just have one question, how much did the total power upgrade cost you? And one more thing, have you tried the power conditioning?

Quote:
I got my Sigma 11 and Pangea power cables in and have burned them in for a few days. I have been doing some critical A-B comparisons tonight switching back and forth between the stock wal-wart and power cable and the sigma 11 and Pangea power cable. I mostly used 24/96 HDTracks like Chesky Record's Ultimate Demonstration Disc 2 and listened to short minute clips of various tracks over and over between both setups.

While I don't want to really elaborate a whole lot at the moment and post a long review of impressions, I will say that the benefit from the Sigma 11 and Pangea power cable over the stock power supply are significant and not subtle under critical listening comparisons. The main improvement is definitely that the soundstage widens and there is a lot more air between instruments. There is also a darker black background and better detail so you hear much more refinement in the same passages. It really just feels like I upgraded the HDP to a higher version that costs a couple hundred more bucks.

Overall, I'm really glad that I sprung for the Sigma 11 and power cables. Between them and my jena labs cable for HD 650, this is impressive performance for the price. Since I plan to have my main rig center around HDP for at least a year, upgrading the power components were well worth it to me. If I were closer to springing for a much more expensive setup in the near future I might not have bothered though. I'm sure I'll post more impressions later if there is interest.

- Sorry for the mess behind the picture. Also, I really need to clean my laptop screen! That's what bedside listening in the dark will do for you, lol.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,228 of 1,670
You're welcome. The power upgrade ran me $200 for the Sigma 11--which was a steal since retail units are $300 or so--and the power cable was only $50 marked way down on Amazon through Audio Advisor. I had planned to buy a Shuntaya Venom 3 cable, which get awesome reviews and have won awards for $99, but couldn't pass up the dirt cheap price of the Pangea after reading a lot of good reviews on it at Audiogon. So the whole setup ran me $250. The Sigma 11 was a favor from a local DIYer who doesn't take commission jobs so I won't mention who it was for that reason.

To me, it was worth it because I don't know of a way to really get comparable performance without spending way more, so it gives me an even higher level of performance without having to step up to a much more expensive rig. Then again, between $250 in power upgrades and $175 for my DIY Jena Labs cable, that's the price of the HDP so its all relative. I imagine many HDP owners would prefer to stick to the stock configuration as its price to performance can't be beat. Those that picture this as a long-term hobby and plan to always upgrade over time would definitely value the improvements from the power and cable upgrades like I have. 

Edit - Sorry I forgot to answer your question about power conditioning. No, I haven't sprung for power conditioning yet. I would be very interested in testing one out at home with my setup, in particular a PS Audio Duet or Silver Circle Audio Juicebox, but am not in a rush since I have really nice power where I live. I am planning to hang out with a local member tomorrow who has a $2,000 PS Audio Power Plant Premier tomorrow and will be taking my sigma 11 and HDP. That will give me a nice opportunity to see how much more headroom there might be with power conditioning/filtering beyond sigma 11. Then again, getting accurate impressions might be tough because he seems to have worse power quality in an older part of the city. Also, keep in mind the improvements could have been a lot more dramatic if I had noisier local power at home.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for sharing your impressions, I was looking forward for them since I was really curious about how the HDP would improve with the Sigma 11. I just have one question, how much did the total power upgrade cost you? And one more thing, have you tried the power conditioning?

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #1,229 of 1,670
We are finally coming out with the linear PSU (either $199 or $249) around end of March.  I think it will offer better performance than power cable upgrade.  Since this is a 12V output PSU, it can be used for many of our Icon series products, including future ultra high performance DACs and headphone amps.

Quote:
You're welcome. The power upgrade ran me $200 for the Sigma 11--which was a steal since retail units are $300 or so--and the power cable was only $50 marked way down on Amazon through Audio Advisor. I had planned to buy a Shuntaya Venom 3 cable, which get awesome reviews and have won awards for $99, but couldn't pass up the dirt cheap price of the Pangea after reading a lot of good reviews on it at Audiogon. So the whole setup ran me $250. The Sigma 11 was a favor from a local DIYer who doesn't take commission jobs so I won't mention who it was for that reason.

To me, it was worth it because I don't know of a way to really get comparable performance without spending way more, so it gives me an even higher level of performance without having to step up to a much more expensive rig. Then again, between $250 in power upgrades and $175 for my DIY Jena Labs cable, that's the price of the HDP so its all relative. I imagine many HDP owners would prefer to stick to the stock configuration as its price to performance can't be beat. Those that picture this as a long-term hobby and plan to always upgrade over time would definitely value the improvements from the power and cable upgrades like I have. 

Edit - Sorry I forgot to answer your question about power conditioning. No, I haven't sprung for power conditioning yet. I would be very interested in testing one out at home with my setup, in particular a PS Audio Duet or Silver Circle Audio Juicebox, but am not in a rush since I have really nice power where I live. I am planning to hang out with a local member tomorrow who has a $2,000 PS Audio Power Plant Premier tomorrow and will be taking my sigma 11 and HDP. That will give me a nice opportunity to see how much more headroom there might be with power conditioning/filtering beyond sigma 11. Then again, getting accurate impressions might be tough because he seems to have worse power quality in an older part of the city. Also, keep in mind the improvements could have been a lot more dramatic if I had noisier local power at home.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #1,230 of 1,670
My friend using the HDP says when using sensitive headphones like the new Victor HA-MX10-B, white noise is noticed via USB when silent (not heard on coaxial and optical, so maybe an issue with PC ground?).  He can sort of notice it with Ety ER-4S too, but can't notice at all with HD650.

Is this a common thing with HDP, and is it just more recommended for cans with high impedance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back