1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last
  1. james444 Contributor
    Quote:

Well, if you say so...

It's been a long time since I heard them, but I still remember their rendering of drums sounded utterly lifeless, as if those were filled with cotton-wool. It felt as if their low end was forcibly strangled to make them sound linear.

2. Inks
    RE0 have NO subbass though, even ER4s have a bit more rumble. Thus, lifeless drums...

3. Pianist
    Quote:

I think you are talking about distortion, not dynamic range. I don't see how a headphone could begin to crackle at higher volumes due to poor dynamic range reproduction ability. Doesn't make any sense to me

4. Inks
    No, that's silly, this is something I learned from Rin actually. Dynamic Range is really the same as the Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR),  It’s the ratio between the loudest undistorted output and what’s left over when nothing is playing. 

5. Pianist
    Quote:

It seems like you are talking about the properties of sources, not headphones. There is no such property as SNR when describing the sound of headphones.

6. Inks
    The concept is the same, how its tested is different, its just another part of the chain. Again, nothing concrete is proven for the case that the RE0 lacks dynamic range. The RE0 has other more important issues

7. ozkan
    Quote:
    Did you listen the RE0 with a warm amp? I don't think that RE0 lacks any dynamic range and doesn't really have serious issues.

8. Inks
    My biggest gripe is the lack of bass depth and rumble, even the ER4s have a bit more, no amp will fix this. As James mentioned, it rids impact of drums, luckily midbass is at a nice level. 

9. steveting99
    Would like to know those who have RE-400, what are your impressions?

I'm thinking of getting this as an owner in another thread says the sound signature reminds them of the Sennheiser HD-650. Would love to know if this is a correct comparison.

Steve

10. ericp10
    Is the RE-400 more or less bass than the RE-262?

11. shotgunshane Contributor
    Quote:

Yep, from memory a small increase in mid bass slam.  Based on measurements it looks like probably 3db more between 100hz and 150hz.

12. ClieOS Contributor
    I'll say RE400 has tighter (faster and harder hitting) bass than RE262.

13. TheGame21x
    Quote:

Seconded.

14. ericp10
    Thank you fellas, and for realizing I meant RE400 instead of HE400.  lol[​IMG]

15. Bananiq
    Hi ClieOS,

Thanks for the review. I own RE-0 so based on many review I suppose RE-400 are quite improvement. I wonder how RE-400 compares to DBA02 / Brainwavz B2. I suppose the bass extension would be better on re-400. How are the other aspects like details / imaging / resolution / speed?

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last