[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Apr 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #91 of 781
Quote:
Hi ClieOS,

Thanks for the review. I own RE-0 so based on many review I suppose RE-400 are quite improvement. I wonder how RE-400 compares to DBA02 / Brainwavz B2. I suppose the bass extension would be better on re-400. How are the other aspects like details / imaging / resolution / speed?

RE400 is a more rounded IEM. But if you like RE0 sound signature then I won't call RE400 a direct upgrade. I don't think you will find those aspects you have mentioned to be any major improvement, if at all. The biggest improvement going from RE0 to RE400, beside the change in sound signature, is the increase in mid and bass texture and thickness.

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #92 of 781
Just got my RE-400 from Head-Direct on Amazon. The sound is great, super~~~
popcorn.gif

May 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #93 of 781
Been playing with mine for a couple of days now. Smaller double flange seals best and better than any previous straight silicones I have tried. That said I prefer foam core silicone or just foam. I would rather core them myself as I have done with my previous favourites. There is not enough space between the dual flanges inner and outer wall. Tried very hard and preferred the sound with cut down ear plugs jammed in that space but not comfortable. Settled on massively cut down hole punched ear plugs. Far cheaper than comply, denser foam means better seal and greater background attenuation. Plus you cut them so there is no excess foam past the nozzle/filter end to alter the spectral balance. This approach blows away stock double flange and is equally or more comfortable once you cut them down to fit properly.

These are definetly the.most musically involving device have put on or in my ears. They outperform the grasp RS 1's I owned a few years back. Frankly so did.the TDK BA 200's I still have. These handily outperform those...it is ultimately in the sweet airy upper frequencies where you will first hear the difference...but then you will notice bass has a texture and resonance that are more like real bass instruments. Voices are superlative...emotional.and resolved, filled with inflection and subtlety. It is hard to resist singing with. They communicate musical involvement. This mustang Is neither forward or recessed but takes on the aspect of the recorded space. A concert hall sounds immense but a small studio wonderfully intimate. They will let you hear the quality of a recording...but they seem to extract the essence out of even lesser recordings. They have a sound that is seemingly even order in its harmonics and rythmn. Much like a triode amplifier. This is what for me allows transcend beyond every other ear device I have heard. They are more finally neutral.and spatially neutral than anything else I have listened to...but they are harmonically rich and resonant which creates musical warmth sweetness and flow. The foam really brings that aspect home. With silicone they are wonderful but not magical. Once you hear them in a setup that allows this it is hard to take them out of your ears.

Enuff. ...just get a.pair....(LOL) and then try this at home. Hell 99.95 is cheap. " I WONT PAY A LOT FOR AN EARBUD"....well now you have no excuse. Thank you Mr. Fang. I will probably start saving for the 600, hoping for a deal.

HAPPY LISTENING!
jgwtriode

May 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #94 of 781
Been playing with mine for a couple of days now. Smaller double flange seals best and better than any previous straight silicones I have tried. That said I prefer foam core silicone or just foam. I would rather core them myself as I have done with my previous favourites. There is not enough space between the dual flanges inner and outer wall. Tried very hard and preferred the sound with cut down ear plugs jammed in that space but not comfortable. Settled on massively cut down hole punched ear plugs. Far cheaper than comply, denser foam means better seal and greater background attenuation. Plus you cut them so there is no excess foam past the nozzle/filter end to alter the spectral balance. This approach blows away stock double flange and is equally or more comfortable once you cut them down to fit properly.

These are definetly the.most musically involving device have put on or in my ears. They outperform the grasp RS 1's I owned a few years back. Frankly so did.the TDK BA 200's I still have. These handily outperform those...it is ultimately in the sweet airy upper frequencies where you will first hear the difference...but then you will notice bass has a texture and resonance that are more like real bass instruments. Voices are superlative...emotional.and resolved, filled with inflection and subtlety. It is hard to resist singing with. They communicate musical involvement. This mustang Is neither forward or recessed but takes on the aspect of the recorded space. A concert hall sounds immense but a small studio wonderfully intimate. They will let you hear the quality of a recording...but they seem to extract the essence out of even lesser recordings. They have a sound that is seemingly even order in its harmonics and rythmn. Much like a triode amplifier. This is what for me allows transcend beyond every other ear device I have heard. They are more finally neutral.and spatially neutral than anything else I have listened to...but they are harmonically rich and resonant which creates musical warmth sweetness and flow. The foam really brings that aspect home. With silicone they are wonderful but not magical. Once you hear them in a setup that allows this it is hard to take them out of your ears.

Enuff. ...just get a.pair....(LOL) and then try this at home. Hell 99.95 is cheap. " I WONT PAY A LOT FOR AN EARBUD"....well now you have no excuse. Thank you Mr. Fang. I will probably start saving for the 600, hoping for a deal.

HAPPY LISTENING!
jgwtriode

May 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #95 of 781
I  am going to be getting these in 2-3 weeks , I cant wait....listening to my JVC HA-FX40  for now.

Think I am going to order some comply T 400 also.

I can not wait to hear these.

May 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #96 of 781
wonder how re-400 compares to the re-272 which is my favourite iem.....

May 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #97 of 781
OOPS PARDON THE DOUBLE POST! My cell phone has issues when texting

If you go comply on these you may want to trim them back. You don't want to attenuate the upper miss and highs which standard complys tend to do. The spherical ones might be the ticket! These love deep insertion and get the business end as close as you can to your tympanic membrane. They don't have any sibilance that I perceive. They are detailed and alive. Even with silicone the balance is correct but they just sound more organic and musical with foam. But remember earplug foam is dense. I would think you could also reverse the regular complys. This prevents them from compressing at the tip. But the nozzles are wide so you may have to trim Standard complys. The sphericals don't squish down over the ends so would be my choice in over the counter tips but check diameter sizing. I love earplug tips because they are dirt cheap at the dollar store and I can ruin a few pair centering the hole and sizing them. Stretching them to fit is simply a matter of punching a hole, sliding them up a cheap BIC pen barrel (make sure you have pulled the end plug out of the pen) insert nozzle in the end of the barrel. Then slide up the homemade tip all pulling the tip and buds out out of the pen barrel end simultaneously. The process is easier than tge description.

Anyway happy listening,

jgwtriode

May 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #98 of 781
Quote:

The underlined parts pretty much sum up my initial impressions of RE-400 as well.
beerchug.gif
I could hardly stop myself from dancing to the sound when I put some groovy 80s funk on.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #100 of 781
Quote:
how does the sony hybrids tips and mh1 tips affect the sound on the re400?

Nothing particular good. I used the stock small bi-flanges as it is by far the best sounding with RE400. Hyhird and MH1 eartips both restrict the treble a bit more than I want.

May 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #101 of 781
Quote:

Nothing particular good. I used the stock small bi-flanges as it is by far the best sounding with RE400. Hyhird and MH1 eartips both restrict the treble a bit more than I want.

i see. then, i´ll the opposite. how can you get even more/better highs/treble , open sound, than with the stock tips?

May 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #102 of 781
Quote:
i see. then, i´ll the opposite. how can you get even more/better highs/treble , open sound, than with the stock tips?

You would want an eartip with wider bore and longer length, i.e the included big bi-flanges.

May 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #103 of 781
Got mine yesterday....man, these are very small and comfortable too!

May 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #104 of 781
Hello all

I'm looking to buy new in-ears and these are my top choice.  My current in-ears is the klipsch s4.  How much of an upgrade, if any, are these from the S4s.  I'm considering the RE-400 or spend about $100 more for the Gsonic VR07 mkii

May 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #105 of 781
Quote:
Hello all

I'm looking to buy new in-ears and these are my top choice.  My current in-ears is the klipsch s4.  How much of an upgrade, if any, are these from the S4s.  I'm considering the RE-400 or spend about $100 more for the Gsonic VR07 mkii

Well, S4 isn't anywhere near the SQ of a RE400. Let just say you will get more improvement from S4 to RE400 than RE400 to GR07 MK2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back