REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Aug 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,293 of 1,534
Well I installed Rockbox on mine last night and I think I'm going to revert back to stock.  There are so many options and settings I'm totally overwhelmed, there's too much control for someone who doesn't really know much past the normal EQ functionality.  I can't get it sounding as good as I had with the stock EQ and I don't have the patience right now to figure it all out.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #1,294 of 1,534
I am using HM-601 for quite sometime in my car now. The Ai-net cable that i used to connect HM-601 line out to Alpine 9887 player gave up. So, replaced that chinese cheapo with good quality cable. The new cable extended the bass further and sweetened the mids. That resulted in too much of bass and too much sweetness in mids. Toned down the bass through EQ. But, the mids ultra sweetness was making the sound muddy. The parametric EQ on 9887 was not helping much. So, far the first time, tried the EQ on the HM-601. It has a very limited 5 band EQ. I just increased the last band by 2 points. Voila..what a change. The setup almost turned neutral overall. I am in love again :D. So, don't give up on the player before you try out the EQ. There is no distortion or whatsoever when EQed.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #1,295 of 1,534
I am using HM-601 for quite sometime in my car now. The Ai-net cable that i used to connect HM-601 line out to Alpine 9887 player gave up. So, replaced that chinese cheapo with good quality cable. The new cable extended the bass further and sweetened the mids. That resulted in too much of bass and too much sweetness in mids. Toned down the bass through EQ. But, the mids ultra sweetness was making the sound muddy. The parametric EQ on 9887 was not helping much. So, far the first time, tried the EQ on the HM-601. It has a very limited 5 band EQ. I just increased the last band by 2 points. Voila..what a change. The setup almost turned neutral overall. I am in love again :D. So, don't give up on the player before you try out the EQ. There is no distortion or whatsoever when EQed.

I have noticed thet the volyme is quite much lower when using the EQ. Does anyone know why?

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #1,296 of 1,534
^^ I don't feel like that. The line out of HM-601 is way louder than my CDP in my car. At least 3 to 4 points in my CDA-9887 player.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,299 of 1,534
I have noticed thet the volyme is quite much lower when using the EQ. Does anyone know why?

That is because the player is already outputting at maximum voltage swing by default, so adjusting the EQ will likely force the amp section to clip / distort. Therefore the system is implemented so any adjustment to the EQ automatically reduce the highest volume just to leave some headroom around not to clip the amp section.

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,300 of 1,534
That is because the player is already outputting at maximum voltage swing by default, so adjusting the EQ will likely force the amp section to clip / distort. Therefore the system is implemented so any adjustment to the EQ automatically reduce the highest volume just to leave some headroom around not to clip the amp section.

Thanks! That sounds like a good explonation.

Its the same when I use line out.

Do you think that the SQ suffers a lot when using EQ max 3 db?

I dont hear any distortion. But my ears is not trained. I use a Philips Fidelio X1 and they are resest in the mids. Some day I will by Hifiman 500 I think. But then I probebly need a stronger amp then the Headstage Arrow that I am using now to my Hifiman 601.

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #1,301 of 1,534
It generally depends on the quality of the EQ implementation. Software EQ tends to bring much more distortion than hardware EQ. Actually a good example will be the EQ on iPod - Apple doesn't bother to lower the output for headroom when EQing, and that's why iPod's EQ almost always sucks as it introduces a lot of clipping / distortion.

An relatively easy test will be running an RMAA test using the DAP as input under EQ vs. no-EQ condition. If the former doesn't measured more noisy than the later, that means it should be fine. Or you can just stay true to your ears since you don't hear any distortion anyway.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,303 of 1,534
With the latest firmware release on my HM601LE (happens to use HM602 v0.12 firmware), anybody else experiencing an issue with the Music Breakpoint Play feature where it only resumes to the folder of the artist and/or album of the song when playback folder is Tracks. For example, I usually play Tracks at Random when I have the Music Breakpoint Play 'On' and when I turn off my HM-601LE, sure it'll resume to the same song prior to shutdown, but it changes from Tracks to the specific artist/album of that the song falls under where it'll continue to loop through the dozen or so songs for the same artist/album.

If you're not experiencing the same thing, I'm curious how you got your FLAC file naming convention as I'm wondering if that may be an issue.  Thanks.

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,304 of 1,534
  With the latest firmware release on my HM601LE (happens to use HM602 v0.12 firmware), anybody else experiencing an issue with the Music Breakpoint Play feature where it only resumes to the folder of the artist and/or album of the song when playback folder is Tracks. For example, I usually play Tracks at Random when I have the Music Breakpoint Play 'On' and when I turn off my HM-601LE, sure it'll resume to the same song prior to shutdown, but it changes from Tracks to the specific artist/album of that the song falls under where it'll continue to loop through the dozen or so songs for the same artist/album.

If you're not experiencing the same thing, I'm curious how you got your FLAC file naming convention as I'm wondering if that may be an issue.  Thanks.

So how does yor Hm601le sound? Is it better than the original Hm601?

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,305 of 1,534
I've since sold the HM601LE.  It is audibly better sounding especially in the low end, but not as warm in the mids as the stock 601 as this is due to the different opamps used in the headphone amplification stage between the two varients.  If you're going to mainly use the 601 regardless of the varient as a source only and match it with a portable amp, you'll get the same quality in the line out, which is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back