REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Mar 30, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #811 of 1,534
I bought a qa350 before I had heard of the hifi man players. To my ears it's the best DAP I'v ever heard by far. unfortunately I managed to destroy it and now I'm torn between buying a qa350 mod2 or hm601. I know the 350 and love the dynamics and vibrancy. I've got no idea what the hm601 sounds like but have heard contradictory reviews all over the place from overpriced rubbish to best sounding thing ever. I'm a bit worried about it sounding soft which would turn me off but maybe I could counter this with bright headphones. it is also a lot smaller, longer bat, better ui and takes flac. help!

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #812 of 1,534

Quote:
.. it is also a lot smaller, longer bat, better ui...

I can't help myself but smile 
regular_smile .gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #813 of 1,534

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! So, the amp in the Hifi is better than something like Headstage Arrow or TTVJ Slim?

Would you mind explaining why there is such a big difference?

Why would anyone use iPod + amp @ $500+ when they could just get the Hifiman for half price?

I guess I AM hijacking the thread ... sorry

I'm just confused because I paid $350 for a TTVJ and $200 for iPod and I kinda hoped that it would produce at least decent sound ....

Does the Hifiman benefit at all from having an external amp like the TTVJ Slim? Or is this redundant?

oh, I have this question too.
somebody help

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #815 of 1,534

Quote:
I have them now I think about 1,5 years. When I got them, I let them burn in for about 150 hours with pink noise. Afterwords I listened with alltogether maybe 30 hours. Tonight I will sit down and listen to pro 900 + HM 601 Combo, so I can tell you more.

Thanks, appreciate it because it gives me something to look foward to. I just received my 601 yesterday and i listened to it last night through the Pro 650's. Love the mids and highs but sounds a little lean in the bass dept to me. I know that it has to break in though. Still waiting for my 900's.

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #816 of 1,534

Quote:
I bought a qa350 before I had heard of the hifi man players. To my ears it's the best DAP I'v ever heard by far. unfortunately I managed to destroy it and now I'm torn between buying a qa350 mod2 or hm601. I know the 350 and love the dynamics and vibrancy. I've got no idea what the hm601 sounds like but have heard contradictory reviews all over the place from overpriced rubbish to best sounding thing ever. I'm a bit worried about it sounding soft which would turn me off but maybe I could counter this with bright headphones. it is also a lot smaller, longer bat, better ui and takes flac. help!

Just received my 601 yesterday and listening right out of the box, I can tell you that the mids and highs are very good. Also very punchy and dynamic sounding. The bass sounds a little lean to me though. I never listened to the QA350, so I can't give you a comparison between the two. There is an eq built in the has pre sets and user adjusted ones that you can use together. I tried both, but wound up leaving the pre set flat and I boosted the user at 60Hz just a little. The bass was still a little lean but I know it has to break in. The highs didn't sound muted to me at all, so I don't know what everyone else is talking about. The user interface seems to be very smooth in it's use as well. Bottom line, I'm very satisfied with my purchase, sounds A LOT better than the Sony mp3 player that I haven't returned yet. Oh, so far I have only used mp3's, can't wait to try the higher rez stuff.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #817 of 1,534

Quote:
Thanks, appreciate it because it gives me something to look foward to. I just received my 601 yesterday and i listened to it last night through the Pro 650's. Love the mids and highs but sounds a little lean in the bass dept to me. I know that it has to break in though. Still waiting for my 900's.

I can definitely say that the bass goes deep and tighter than my Zune or iPhone 3GS.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #820 of 1,534
cheers for input. there's nothing else for it i'm going to have to find a way to listen to the 601 myself. anyone live in london that's got one i can listen to. would be much obliged.

cheers 

tom

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #822 of 1,534

Quote:
cheers for input. there's nothing else for it i'm going to have to find a way to listen to the 601 myself. anyone live in london that's got one i can listen to. would be much obliged.

cheers 

tom

I put some hiz rez music on the 601 last night and I had absolutely no problems at what so ever. Everything has been working flawlessly for my, so I give the 601 2 thumbs up.

Apr 2, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #823 of 1,534
I put some hiz rez music on the 601 last night and I had absolutely no problems at what so ever. Everything has been working flawlessly for my, so I give the 601 2 thumbs up.

Does it play 88.4 kHz files?
The tech info only states 96 kHz.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #824 of 1,534
you have any 88.4khz files to test? I have only seen one 96khz file... 88.4 seems impossibly rare. and pointless.

Quote:
Quote:

Does it play 88.4 kHz files?
The tech info only states 96 kHz.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #825 of 1,534

Quote:
you have any 88.4khz files to test? I have only seen one 96khz file... 88.4 seems impossibly rare. and pointless.

Huh?  Have you been to hdtracks.com?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back