REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 10, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #286 of 1,534
I guess i brougth up the analog issue. But again, very simplified, my reference goes back to spending many years of listening to Vinyl players as a source and also CD players and how these sources in general present the sound of music. 
I can agree to Anaxilus explanation of the typical difference.

As my preferences and with my brief experience with the HF-601, I can just relate to it's sound presentation more to the latter than the former not necessarily meaning that one is better than the other, but I do like the HF-601's, as close as it maybe can get, to an "analog" sound!  

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #287 of 1,534

Thanks Jupiter, just what I needed.

Btw, I got my Kingston class 4 16GB SDHC card today and it works great, got the Amazon no-fuss packaging which I totally love!
Quote:
 I have been able to use these formats; MP3, WMA, OGG VORBIS, FLAC, APE and WAV, when I tried to use WMA lossless I had to reset the player. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #288 of 1,534
Woooooooh just took the plunge on the hm-601 after pondering about it for like 2 weeks, lol.

Now I have 3 questions.

Reading through this thread I am a bit confused as to what Class SD card to use. What is the range of classes that can be used?

Will the Hm-601 synergize better with the TripleFi10 or SE530, both of which I own. SE530 out of the Sansa Clip did not impress me.

I am a very lazy person, are lossless files absolutely necessary to get the absolute best out of the player or are the difference between lossless and 320kbs mp3s too subtle to hog up the extra space?

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #289 of 1,534

Quote:
Woooooooh just took the plunge on the hm-601 after pondering about it for like 2 weeks, lol.

Now I have 3 questions.

Reading through this thread I am a bit confused as to what Class SD card to use. What is the range of classes that can be used?

Will the Hm-601 synergize better with the TripleFi10 or SE530, both of which I own. SE530 out of the Sansa Clip did not impress me.

I am a very lazy person, are lossless files absolutely necessary to get the absolute best out of the player or are the difference between lossless and 320kbs mp3s too subtle to hog up the extra space?

Thanks.

Class 2 is recommended I think...
HM-602 has not much synergy with the TF10, dunno about the SE530... (IMO, of course YMMV)
The difference between lossless and 320kbps mp3 is too subtle to notice. I myself couldn't even abx successfully a vbr 145kbps mp3 vs FLAC (using Lame 3.98, FA-003 & HM-602), let alone a 320kbps. If you notice anything, that is more or less halo effect(is this term correct?), of course, YMMV.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #290 of 1,534

Quote:

Now I have 3 questions.

Thanks.

1. I use a 8GB class 6 card but I read that class 4 and 2 are safe and should work fine.

2. No idea about synergy but I've found that brighter phones do tend to sound better but that doesn't mean those that are not bright do not sound good either.

3. That depends on you. I really like the lossless files more than the lossy but since you do have limited space it is up to you whether or not it is worth it. I suggest you try both when you get it and experiment.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #292 of 1,534
Haven't visited Headfi for a long time, 601 seems to be a very good player to me. A few question before I pull the trigger, does it allow to sort music by album/ singer? Does it display album art?

Anyone know how long ti  takes to ship to Canada?

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #293 of 1,534

Yes for album/singer, no for album art.
Quote:
Haven't visited Headfi for a long time, 601 seems to be a very good player to me. A few question before I pull the trigger, does it allow to sort music by album/ singer? Does it display album art?

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #294 of 1,534

Quote:
Yes for album/singer, no for album art.
Quote:

cool,thx

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #295 of 1,534

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. Would you consider the TF10 to be a bright iem?

I don't consider TF 10 to be a bright IEM, although it can present some decent highs. 

Related to synergy with the HF-601, I have experienced that the TF10 to my ears, doesn't perform very well or that the TF10 doesn't reach to their full potential using the headphone output. But when I use the line-out feeding a Headsix amp, the Triple's comes much more alive and almost sound like a different beast in a good way, now this doesn't really happen with other IEM's I have tried, dual drivers, dynamics or headphones, they all perform very well from the headphone output and some sounds the same or relatively better with the line out/amp combo, but not to the same degree as I have experienced with the Triple's,, 

This leads me to believe that there may be some added resistance in the pathway/amplication of headphone output that affects or doesn't synergize with the performance of the TF10, due to it's triple driver/crossover setup.

Maybe this is very similar to the synergy issues (a resistor in the output stage) that the Arrow amp G1 had with the TF10 and that has recently been corrected with a newer production ( Arrow G3). I don't know, but I of course wonder if any other owners of TF10/601 has noticed the same?

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #298 of 1,534

Quote:
Any one got problem For playing 24bit Wav song?
every time i selected the 24bit wav song,the Hm-601 will auto restart

I have try put the song to internal memory,Sandisk class2 8Gb and 16Gb MircoSD + Sd adapter,the player still can't play 24bit Wav song

Probably a 24/88 song.  We discussed this on the 602 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back