REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Nov 24, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,306 of 1,534

So how does yor Hm601le sound? Is it better than the original Hm601?

Headphone Out is much better. It is more natural, neutral, balanced, with more details and clarity.  
601-stock has a very warm (even hot), muddy sound with ugly (unnatural, like cartoons vs movies) coloration.
I hate 601 and i really like 601LE.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #1,307 of 1,534
Thanks Berkovajazz. Very much appreciated!! 

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #1,308 of 1,534
i wonder why HM-601 is released under HiFiMan Express while the LE is under HiFiMan? is there any reason to it? Most players i see are under HiFiman, only 601 is under HiFiMan Express

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,309 of 1,534
  i wonder why HM-601 is released under HiFiMan Express while the LE is under HiFiMan? is there any reason to it? Most players i see are under HiFiman, only 601 is under HiFiMan Express

Because HM601 is supposed to be the budget model within the HM60x line-up and HifiMan Express is their budget orientated sub-brand?

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,310 of 1,534
601LE has 602 firmware if someone has interest.
I left my player at home, but if i'm not wrong it is "Express" too. I don't think that there is a difference in significance.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,312 of 1,534
  It's not just firmware, but more significantly the hardware.  The HM601LE is basically a HM602 without the external DAC functionality.

1000% right!:)

Now using an amazing pair of Monster Gratitudes with 601LE, perfect synergy plus one of their cases suits 601 the best. I'm impressed with my current combo.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,313 of 1,534
Hey! I have a pressing question for you diehards who have retained your HM-601 LEs. I just got one and am tentatively happy with sound quality.

But I'm having severe difficulties getting the tracks transferred to the device to play in any rational order.

My ancient DAPs have not FLAC capability, so I've ripped them all as WAVs. In fact, where I switched format on a few and .MP3 tags were retained, I removed them. Otherwise the wav files showed up on the old Creative DAPs as .mp3s -- out of order with the wav mixes they had been file-named with.

So now with the HM-601 LE, the wavs are ordering 'randomly', as they are entered into memory.
* I've tried reformatting wavs as flacs with tag info. This isn't recognized by the HM-601.
*I've tried the applet recommended above that is supposed to reorder the drive info by dos long-name and short-name. It hasn't fixed those long names at all, though the wavs have file names chosen to to be recognized and ordered by simple file names (album_#_track name).

Any and all recommendations are solicited. I haven't gotten the use out of this DAP that I am eager to give it.  -Manny

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,314 of 1,534
I no longer own it, but the random order of playback despite the order of as they are entered in memory is a "feature" or "bug" depends how you look at it.  The firmware alphabetize them under Artist, but if you want any specific order of playback, you have to go through the PITA process creating a Queued folder and place them in order, or add them to your Favorites in the order you want.  

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,317 of 1,534
Packman, the sd card goes with the coppery strips up. You might need something thin to push the sd all the way to locking -- just like with many cameras. As for how to get the ordering of tracks accomplished, I'm at a standstill.

Rockbox is not installing: tried both methods. Alpha, if you have a moment, would you describe what a "queued folder" means in *this* context? I don't mind editing some file names to get a mix ordered.

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,318 of 1,534
OK great thank you.. Where I can see the SD card going.. In that long slot up by the screen on the side rite? It just looks to big for a SD card.? But I'll try I thank you.. And I'm new at this flash drive and making.. Queded folder.. To.. I'm not sure how to do that stuff either.. Lol but if I figure it out I'll let you know lol.. Also the person I bought the player off of didn't supply the USB cable to put songs on the player drive.. Can I just buy one at like future shop or somewhere like that.? Or do I need to order one from hifiman? I'm coming from ipod classic so this is all new to me lol

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,319 of 1,534
Packman, the sd card goes with the coppery strips up. You might need something thin to push the sd all the way to locking -- just like with many cameras. As for how to get the ordering of tracks accomplished, I'm at a standstill.

Rockbox is not installing: tried both methods. Alpha, if you have a moment, would you describe what a "queued folder" means in *this* context? I don't mind editing some file names to get a mix ordered.
another question lol when I put a new SD card in the player.. Is it going to want to format it? And if I'd does will it erase the music on it..? Thank you..

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,320 of 1,534
I bought my 601 slim used. Is there any battery issues with these ? I'm just curious cause it seems to take a very long time to charge. Plus does the player need to be turned on to charge?? Will it charge when it's off ?? Thanks for your reply in advance :) and if the battery is one it's last legs ,, is there a way to make it come to life in other words ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back