REVIEW: HiFiMan HE-500 Orthodynamic Headphones....Less Is More!
Jul 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #91 of 140
I'm not familiar with the album that you mentioned. Is that the album or the artist? 

Anyway, yes the he400 would be different from the he500, but...I prefer to get hp's that offer a true complement to each other in terms of the sound signature. While the he400 is warmer with more bass, it is still an ortho and still cut from the same cloth. If you are looking for a great bass/bassier can, I ended up with the d5k and love it. 

I don't want to turn you off from the he400. I think that it's truly an exceptional hp and at $360 on sale with free shipping at moon-audio it's possible the best deal on the planet.

gL!!

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #92 of 140
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the album that you mentioned. Is that the album or the artist? 

Anyway, yes the he400 would be different from the he500, but...I prefer to get hp's that offer a true complement to each other in terms of the sound signature. While the he400 is warmer with more bass, it is still an ortho and still cut from the same cloth. If you are looking for a great bass/bassier can, I ended up with the d5k and love it. 

I don't want to turn you off from the he400. I think that it's truly an exceptional hp and at $360 on sale with free shipping at moon-audio it's possible the best deal on the planet.

gL!!

The artist is Sonic Youth.  The album is 'Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star'.  It was the most inventive album SY did to that point, and arguably since.

I want the bass for electronic music, but I don't want to lose the instrument separation that I've heard with the HE-500.  I want the same quality with a bit more quantity.  Closed cans sound like they'd be better...was actually thinking about still getting the Mad Dogs (modded Fostex).  But for now, the HE-500 are blowing my head off.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #93 of 140
Quote:
The artist is Sonic Youth.  The album is 'Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star'.  It was the most inventive album SY did to that point, and arguably since.

I want the bass for electronic music, but I don't want to lose the instrument separation that I've heard with the HE-500.  I want the same quality with a bit more quantity.  Closed cans sound like they'd be better...was actually thinking about still getting the Mad Dogs (modded Fostex).  But for now, the HE-500 are blowing my head off.

If you don't mind a slightly less refined mids, and a differently voiced treble (more akin to Stax SR007 than HE500), that description sounds exactly like HE400s. It fits your bill perfectly.

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #94 of 140
Quote:
How can you compare HE500 to old but still good Beyerdynamic DT880. Which aspects are far better which are worse?

Revisiting this question after auditioning the HE-500.  The 500 have much fuller, more natural midrange and bass response, but (IMHO) lack the HF extension and "air" of the DT880/2003.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #96 of 140
Has anyone tried the Audio gd c2 amp with planners? I'm driving my HE500's with the Asgard at the mo, but might be able to get one of these cheap.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #97 of 140
Quote:
Revisiting this question after auditioning the HE-500.  The 500 have much fuller, more natural midrange and bass response, but (IMHO) lack the HF extension and "air" of the DT880/2003.

Maybe you should try this and see if it helps.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #98 of 140
Quote:

I'll just throw out that the LCD-2's bass isn't that much different from the HE-500.  It has a bit more quantity with as good or better quality.  Not as big a difference as I thought it was going to be.

The biggest difference for me between the HE-500 and LCD-2 is the instrument separation, the HE-500 does it much better.  With the HE-500 I could follow each instrument much better.  The LCD-2 is closer to the HD650 in instrument separation, almost on top of each other.

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #99 of 140
Quote:
I'll just throw out that the LCD-2's bass isn't that much different from the HE-500.  It has a bit more quantity with as good or better quality.  Not as big a difference as I thought it was going to be.

The biggest difference for me between the HE-500 and LCD-2 is the instrument separation, the HE-500 does it much better.  With the HE-500 I could follow each instrument much better.  The LCD-2 is closer to the HD650 in instrument separation, almost on top of each other.

Agreed, especially with regards to the soundstage/instrument separation.

I think they have the same bass quantity but the LCD-2.2 has a bit better quality to its bass.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #100 of 140
Quote:
Agreed, especially with regards to the soundstage/instrument separation.

I think they have the same bass quantity but the LCD-2.2 has a bit better quality to its bass.

So, is there a bassy planar?  Mad Dogs (I'm thinking the closed design might help).  I'm not a bassy headphone fan overall, but there are some genres where it would be amazeballs to have amplified bass without distortion while keeping the instrument separation of the HE-500.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #102 of 140
Quote:

HD-500s, LCDs, Mad Dogs - are all planars.

Yes - and I have HE-500s.  Are Mad Dogs, for instance, bassier planars than the HE-500?

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #104 of 140
Quote:

So, is there a bassy planar?  Mad Dogs (I'm thinking the closed design might help).  I'm not a bassy headphone fan overall, but there are some genres where it would be amazeballs to have amplified bass without distortion while keeping the instrument separation of the HE-500.

The cheapest way of making HE-500 bassier is by applying moderate amounts of equalization. Actually, this is the cheapest way for every headphone, but it is especially true for HE-500 (and most planars) due to its long dynamic range in low frequencies.

If this is not an option for you, you can try putting some more felt in front of the driver (back of the already exciting cloth that protects the driver from dust etc). This will cut some high frequencies and make the sound bassier. Planars respond remarkably well in damping mods. See the huge ortho thread

Experimenting with various damping mods is easy, completely reversible, dirty cheap and can tailor the sound to your liking. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #105 of 140
I've not heard them but I've read the pleather pads give more impact but loses the airy soundstage on the 500s. I agree with the eq'ing if you just have to have more impact with less volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back