[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Aug 31, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,906 of 2,011
Quote:

Guys, this is crazy. I got a replacement pair for my broken RE0 V4 (one on the left in the pic above) today and it has the same nozzle length as the RE0 V3 (the one on the right) while the front part of the housing to which the nozzle is attached is also longer on the left side than on the right side...
blink.gif
Now, that's really messed up. These people at Head-Direct must have some obsessive complusive headphone modification disorder or something. lol

But wait, that's not all... I took out the filters from the nozzles and found that there is only half the foam inserted on one side compared to the other side. The other half was torn away. Looks like one of the workers in assembly accidentally chewed on the foam while eating his lunch or something. Bad quality control. Now I have to add a bit of cotton on that side to balance out the sound between the channels.

Oh well - at least they still sound like the good old RE0. Although at low volumes they don't perform all that well right now. I guess they need burn in. Still compared to my other cans - the FX700, RE272 and DT880 - the RE0s hold their own just fine.

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #1,907 of 2,011
That's the antithesis of OCD, lol.

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #1,908 of 2,011
I guess the technician who fixed it didn't remember to match the housing :p

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,911 of 2,011
I wouldn't suggest RE0 for DnB and dubstep at all.

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #1,913 of 2,011
Notice how i mentioned i just got re0s about 2 pages back, well now they're already giving me problems. Intermittent sound coming out of the left ones. Gonna send them back and get them fixed. To be fair, I am fairly rough but so far only my Fischer Audio Eterna's have held their weight. Dba-02 were gone in about a year. I usually use them everyday for commute, so i guess i have to keep sending them back for their 1 year warranty and probably move on after a year.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #1,914 of 2,011
Notice how i mentioned i just got re0s about 2 pages back, well now they're already giving me problems. Intermittent sound coming out of the left ones. Gonna send them back and get them fixed. To be fair, I am fairly rough but so far only my Fischer Audio Eterna's have held their weight. Dba-02 were gone in about a year. I usually use them everyday for commute, so i guess i have to keep sending them back for their 1 year warranty and probably move on after a year.

I think they had a bad batch or something, mine along with about half a dozen people within the same week reported this type of issue.

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,916 of 2,011
Did you get yours recently?

Well, if you look around page 121 you'll see a bunch of people complaining about this exact thing happening to them, including mine. That's about a month before you got yours.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #1,918 of 2,011

Quote:
Conclusion
RE0 is by far the best dynamic IEM I even heard, but it is not just good as a dynamic– it is actually some of the best sounding IEM there are, with enough detail to put many balanced armature IEM to shame. RE0 is a pair of ultra detail IEM with a slightly lay back mid and a good bass. The overall sound signature is balanced, with a much fainted sense of warmness due to the rather smooth frequency response curve. By SQ alone, it is really a big toss b/w RE0, TF10, and SE530 to say exactly which one is the better of the batch - I like TF10 for its airiness and soundstage, SE530 for its mid presentation, and RE0 for its fine treble detail and overall smoothness. I’ll probably pick soundstage (because of my own taste) over other factors in the end if I am only allowed to keep one, but I have seen another contender for the best IEM nonetheless. RE0 will be retailed for $199 – not really a cheap price but it is still cheaper than those in the same class of SQ and should worth some serious consideration.

Sound Quality: ★★★★☆ (Balanced, with a much fainted sense of warmness due to the rather smooth frequency response curve. Ultra fine detail like that of Etymotic, slightly lay back mid with a good bass. Capable of rivaling some of the best universal IEM in the market)
Value: ★★★★☆ (Reasonably priced for its great SQ, but still not yet the best value because of minor issues - see remark*)
Remark: RE0 is an excellent IEM that addressed some of the short coming of RE1 – amp is more or less not as important, detail has been significantly improved, and so is the overall SQ. All in all, it is the best of the family – and it put the IEM a few steps closer to being the best IEM in the market. *With multiple new top-end IEM just being released into the market and a few high-end IEM getting major discount because of the poor economy and holiday session, it is tough to convince people to pay their money. The reasons why RE0 doesn’t receive the top value rating are 1) because user would probably be getting an amp down the road and 2) there are a few sub-$200 deals that come with very nice packaging with a lot of accessories even though they might not be as good in SQ.

The RE0 and Yuin PK1 and OK1 are the most hyped (value for money) IEM's on head-fi.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #1,920 of 2,011
Considering the age of the review (approx. 2.5 years old) and how the quality of IEMs have improved since then... I would think that things that were said about the RE0 can be said differently now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back