[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Aug 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,891 of 2,011
I've had the RE-ZERO previously and disliked them, this was when I thought music was nothing without booming bass, about a year ago, I have moved on in the nature and understanding of music since then - So have dropped the bomb on the RE-0's - I know I'll enjoy them this time
redface.gif
Might get a cheap E5 to pair with it, even though I gave my previous one to my father
rolleyes.gif

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #1,892 of 2,011
Just got these on Monday. Took just over 3 days since I ordered them from head-direct. Fast shipping. They came in a rectangular plastic case now instead of some crappy plastic box they showed on the website. The jack is also 45 degrees slanted like Brainwavz M2s. Sound signature is more friendly than Dba-02. Not as piercing as the dba-02 and slightly warm not so analytical. At first I was quite disappointed as I thought these were more analytical and I quite fancy the dba-02 sound signature. But my dba-02 died on me slightly after a year so I wanted to try re0. Now I'm quite liking them. Bass is sufficiently there especially enough for death metal. Only complaint that they are very source sensitive. Re0s sound okay for mp3 but sound excellent on FLAC. Especially for technical stuff such as lamb of god. On FLAC they sound awesome. Crystal clear high hats and razor chainsaw cutting guitar riffs. Instrument separation is there although not wide. Hope anybody can clear up whether up they have changed their sound signature or if it's still the same old re0s because to me they sound pretty neutral and less so analytical.

Whoa huge chunk of text. Thanks for reading. Love this hobby. Also waiting for my Fiio E5 from dealextreme. Getting them again after I sold them once before but clearly impressed by them than their big brother E7 in terms of sound and portabillity.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,894 of 2,011
Just read the last few replies and yes I somewhat suspect they have been tweaked because for just USD$79 they sound ridiculously good as compared to dba-02 slightly more than double the price here in Singapore. I gotten about 30-50hours of burn in and they sound better than in the box. Finally I believed in burn in. Now even my original Eterna sounds muddy and bass bloated compared to these. Love them.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,897 of 2,011
That was ages ago, just forget about it, it was only for 1 day. =p

They're not a $99 IEM, you can pick them up second hand pretty cheap though, people get fed up with the fit and sell them sometimes, but as a metalhead I'm sure you'll have no problem putting some soft silicon things in your ears :wink:

(Imho, the fit is awesome)

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,898 of 2,011
Quote:
That was ages ago, just forget about it, it was only for 1 day. =p

They're not a $99 IEM, you can pick them up second hand pretty cheap though, people get fed up with the fit and sell them sometimes, but as a metalhead I'm sure you'll have no problem putting some soft silicon things in your ears :wink:

(Imho, the fit is awesome)

Hmm... the fit is... unique.

Definitely not for everyone. The large housing really limits the shapes and sizes of the ears these can fit in.

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #1,899 of 2,011
But if your ears are right for it, the fit is awesome.  =D

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #1,900 of 2,011
Well I got my replacement RE0 back, looks like they repaired my existing ones instead of replacing them since they're all scuffed up from them taking them apart... not very impressed.

Also just received a $31 duty fees bill in the mail just today from TNT, even though they declared the value $25 on the envelope. How does one acquire $31 duty fees on a $25 item? Not head-direct's fault but still.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,901 of 2,011

Quote:
Also just received a $31 duty fees bill in the mail just today from TNT, even though they declared the value $25 on the envelope. How does one acquire $31 duty fees on a $25 item? Not head-direct's fault but still.

Tax is calculated based on declared valued + shipping fee as a total value of the package.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #1,903 of 2,011

Quote:
I've never paid any duty fees, tax, customs or import fees on any headphone or audio product which I've purchased from overseas, not even when it says value $300.

The only thing I've paid heavy fees on here is importing tobacco.

If you are referring to Aussie custom, I think the number they are looking for is usually $500 and above. Well, at least that's the number a few years ago when I was there. Also, Aussie tend to be go easier on small electronics. Tobacco is a different story, they tax it because most countries has very heavy tax on tobacco related product to discourage people from smoking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back