[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Aug 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #1,876 of 2,011
I have nothing but good to say about how I sent mine in and received new ones in about two weeks. I placed a phone call and received detailed instructions on how to send them back. I then quickly received a followup email. I paid the $2.50 to send them back and received a US Postal tracking number so I knew when they received them.  I was kept informed by a series of emails.
I'm sorry your experience was less than perfect and I do know it is disappointing to have to send a new device in for warranty.

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #1,877 of 2,011
I order the latest iteration of the RE0 from Head-Direct close to two months ago.  I use them daily.. and have had absolutely NO build/sound problems.  No gluing, no channels cutting out, nothing falling apart.. they feel quite well built in my opinion and I like the angled, 45 degree, plug that's sufficiently reinforced.  They've burned in over 150 hours and simply sound fantastic.

I don't know if it's something that Fang tweaked with the latest version of the RE0 or if it's a result of burn-in but I can now drive them quite well directly from my iPhone.  I couldn't do this fresh out of the box.  Of course, amping the RE0 is really where you hear the full potential of these phones, but I listen to them quite often unamped and am very satisfied with the SQ.  Plenty of micro-details I rarely hear in other more expensive phones are heard as clear as day with the RE0.. even unamped.

Also, I find the soundstage to be quite nice.. much better than I expected considering that was one of the main complaints about earlier versions of the RE0.. again, I think this might be something that was improved in the latest version of the RE0.

Just wanted to chime in with my experience.. which has been excellent thus far.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #1,878 of 2,011
One more thing.. I get phenomenal bass quality & quantity with my RE0.. I'm talking punchy, luscious, bass.  I don't throw that terminology around loosely either considering I've got the 1964-Quad custom which puts the bass quality & quantity of most any IEM to utter shame.  I'm writing this cause anemic bass impact has been a longstanding complaint about the RE0.. well, my personal experience can attest this is false.

I've found getting the correct insertion depth and seal is paramount to hearing the bass I speak of.. I use the biflange tips and insert them angled in a slightly upward fashion (the direction my ear canal contours).  Here's the kicker.. insert them just far enough to get a seal with the first flange.  What this will result in is a shallow seal.. it's counter-intuitive to what a biflange typically accommodates (a deeper fit).. but if you get this right.. you'll be legitimately blown away with just how punchy and impactful the RE0's bass can be.  It's still very balanced and none of the other frequencies are distorted or mangled in any way.. in fact, I've found the RE0 as a whole sounds much much more engaging, lively, and dynamic with a shallow fit combined with a sturdy seal.  you'll notice a much improved soundstage too.  Again, get as shallow a seal as possible with the biflange tip.

I'm listening to hip hop with my RE0, unamped, straight from my iPhone as I type this and am just blown away by how awesome the RE0 can thump.  No these don't turn into bass canons or anything.. thank god.. but my desire to get deep punchy bass is more than quenched.

I hope others try this and see if they can get the type of results I get.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #1,879 of 2,011
Haven't been on headfi for a while after buying my RE0. Accidentally put them through the washer AND dryer along with my Sansa Clip+ (killing the Clip+) but they survived and sound just as good as when I first got them. Oddly, I find them much more enjoyable for rock and metal than my Grado SR60i. I can't stand the Grado SR60i for anything with guitars, because of the scooped mids.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #1,880 of 2,011
I've heard fabric softener does wonders for the soundstage..

tongue_smile.gif

Folks.. it's all about a a shallow fit/seal with the biflange.. it's running circles around some of my other higher end phones right now.. I'm amazed.

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #1,882 of 2,011
when did they update the version of the RE0?  i had the re-zero probably this time last year and they were on the limited edition list then.  im not sure if they are still doing that or not.  i chose them over the RE0 at the time because i liked the gun metal a lot better, plus a balanced adapter.  they also did better in tests i read.  did they update the RE0 version this year sometime that makes it have this good bass?  i know the re-zero didn't have bad bass, but it was more bass clarified with the more detailed headphones like the AD700, etc.  if it has bass like the hd555 or something that would be cool.  but yeah, the seal is everything when it comes to iems.  they can be awesome or sound crappy.

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #1,883 of 2,011
Fang confirmed earlier that it sounds the same. RE0 is only lacking bass when you have not burned it in and/or not getting a good seal. Fang said that the newer RE0s do not require as long a burn-in time as before. RE0 has always had decent bass. If you want "good" bass, RE252, MTPC or TF10 are better choices. MTPC is even more transparent than RE0.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #1,884 of 2,011
Yeah, but those are few times the price of the RE0 =P

Quote:
Fang confirmed earlier that it sounds the same. RE0 is only lacking bass when you have not burned it in and/or not getting a good seal. Fang said that the newer RE0s do not require as long a burn-in time as before. RE0 has always had decent bass. If you want "good" bass, RE252, MTPC or TF10 are better choices. MTPC is even more transparent than RE0.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #1,886 of 2,011
Aug 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #1,887 of 2,011

Quote:
RE0 has always had decent bass. If you want "good" bass, RE252, MTPC or TF10 are better choices.

Yeah, really enjoying the bass on the RE252, but the RE0 has perfectly decent bass, so I think I agree here.

The RE252 is one davn cool IEM!

I wish I could go back in time and give myself an RE252, I'd have enjoyed my music even more, as a teenager.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #1,889 of 2,011
Build quality is pretty much the same, but the gunmetal color of the re-zero look much better to me 
About sound quality, the re-zero have more liquid mid, better dynamic range, but the re0 have more treble extension

Users who are viewing this thread

Back