[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jul 8, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #1,622 of 2,011
So I'm at work listening to Mojo (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)) through my work setup:

iPhone --> LOD --> FiiOE5 (with bass boost on) --> RE0s

and these things are still impressing me very much. Hard to do to a SE535, Westone 3 (and former IE8, ER-4P/S, and UE10) owner. But man these things sound very good. Yes they can be bass light (thus the need for the E5 with bass boost on), but when setup properly they really sing.

Honestly for my relatively cheap work setup:

RE0s = $79
FiiO E5 = $20
LOD = $20

Total = $120

It certainly does NOT disappoint me next to my home/travel setup of:

iPhone/iPod Classic --> LOD --> iBasso D10 --> Shure SE535 or Westone 3

Maybe not as good (and no where as expensive), but still darn good.

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #1,623 of 2,011

You should hear them with Wildflowers
happy_face1.gif

Quote:
So I'm at work listening to Mojo (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)) through my work setup:

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #1,624 of 2,011
i've got a pair or RE0's and i must say that they are amazing for the price (the details presented are amazing) . They even compete with my SM3's SQ wise where the SM3s better them in the mids (midbass) section. To my ears the RE0s have a bass presence that can be felt when amped properly (in some songs there is decent slam because of the recessed mid(bass)). The SM3s are a tad warmer version of the RE0s IMO (in SQ). For soundstage and transparency i still tend to reach for my SM3s :) but for listening pleasure the RE0s sure put up a good fight. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #1,625 of 2,011

Quote:
i've got a pair or RE0's and i must say that they are amazing for the price (the details presented are amazing) . They even compete with my SM3's SQ wise where the SM3s better them in the mids (midbass) section. To my ears the RE0s have a bass presence that can be felt when amped properly (in some songs there is decent slam because of the recessed mid(bass)). The SM3s are a tad warmer version of the RE0s IMO (in SQ). For soundstage and transparency i still tend to reach for my SM3s :) but for listening pleasure the RE0s sure put up a good fight. 

Maybe you have noticed this already. RE0 has a certain added sweetness in the midrange - a sort of "tubey" coloration (as in a headphone being driven by a tube amp). I really loved this feature of the RE0 sound - it made listening to many instruments and vocals a very musical experience that "normal neutral" 'phones don't provide. The SM3 does not have this coloration in the mids, but it makes up for it with more presence in that region. Overall, both are musical and technically capable IEMs, but the SM3 has an edge over RE0 technically - it has better dynamics, better micro detial, more space/soundstage and more precise imaging - so it is overall the better IEM. But for the price of $79, RE0 is a way better value of course.

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #1,626 of 2,011
You're going to love the RE-ZERO even more, then. 
atsmile.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #1,627 of 2,011
I finally got a chance to listen to the RE0s. In sum, they sound different every time I listen to them. Sometimes they sound great and sometimes they sound flat. Maybe it depends on the listening environment since the RE0s do not completely block out sound. I found the RE0s to sound best with the small bi flange eartips. Can anyone recommend some good eartips for the RE0s?

Compared to my PK3s the mid range are roughly the same but the bass is definitely better. I definitely enjoy the detail and spatial awareness I can sense from these iems. Hearing guitar strings shift from left to right simply amazed me. I only wish the soundstage was as large as the PK3s'.

Unfortunately, after roughly a week of use the left driver has started to malfunction. Currently contacting head direct for a replacement or looking for a way to repair it myself.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #1,628 of 2,011
Hi there, I have been using Denon AH-C710 for a while and still keeping an eye on RE0. I love the midrange and soundstage also deep bass response of this earphone (may be bass is excessive for me). I have searched and read many many pages to find out comparisons about the C710 vs RE0. There are not too many information. To sum up, some people say both are excellent but if you preffer the details and seperation in the bass you can preffer C710, if you need details in the high frequency ranges and more clarity you can preffer RE0. But I couldn't find deep info comparing the two (especially I need comparison info about: resolution, clarity, soundstage, high frequency, midrange, bass quality, bass and other frequency gain with an amp, isolation, hissing, comfort, etc.). If anyone own both of these and make a short comparison I will be more than glad. If I am going to gain anything over the C710, I am planning to order one. I will be using them with Sansa Fuze and Meizu M3. Thanks in advance.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #1,629 of 2,011
I have found that tips make a big difference, I really like the small Monster hybrid supertips with my RE0. They allow deep insertion, are comfortable, and improve isolation and sound over all the stock tips IMO.

Quote:
I finally got a chance to listen to the RE0s. In sum, they sound different every time I listen to them. Sometimes they sound great and sometimes they sound flat. Maybe it depends on the listening environment since the RE0s do not completely block out sound. I found the RE0s to sound best with the small bi flange eartips. Can anyone recommend some good eartips for the RE0s?

Compared to my PK3s the mid range are roughly the same but the bass is definitely better. I definitely enjoy the detail and spatial awareness I can sense from these iems. Hearing guitar strings shift from left to right simply amazed me. I only wish the soundstage was as large as the PK3s'.

Unfortunately, after roughly a week of use the left driver has started to malfunction. Currently contacting head direct for a replacement or looking for a way to repair it myself.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #1,630 of 2,011
I bought a set of  (black, single flange). Main advantage: you can buy 2 or 5 pairs in the size you need/want.

The material is thinner, the hole is larger, outer diameter is very slightly larger, efficiency is very slightly less, bass very slightly stronger.

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #1,631 of 2,011
I haven't used these for many many months now due to their harsh sound. With the Cowon D2 I think they lack bass, but lack lower midrange even more which makes them sound thin. I've almost stopped listening to music on the go with my Cowon D2 due to this.

However, today I tried them with my gamma2 > Leben CS300 rig and the harsh sound is nowhere to be found. They still lack a bit of midrange for my taste, but the bass is good and the treble has less quantity compared to the rest of the sound. The improvement is VERY nice. If I only could take this rig with me when I travel!

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #1,632 of 2,011
Maybe you should try getting a cheap portable amp (e5 maybe?) to test out the RE0. I have found even a modest power boost can really help the RE0.

Quote:
I haven't used these for many many months now due to their harsh sound. With the Cowon D2 I think they lack bass, but lack lower midrange even more which makes them sound thin. I've almost stopped listening to music on the go with my Cowon D2 due to this.

However, today I tried them with my gamma2 > Leben CS300 rig and the harsh sound is nowhere to be found. They still lack a bit of midrange for my taste, but the bass is good and the treble has less quantity compared to the rest of the sound. The improvement is VERY nice. If I only could take this rig with me when I travel!

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #1,633 of 2,011
Hey guys I bought the RE0 last december, and right now there's a loose connection somewhere within the L-jack. Often the left piece will not produce any sound. Has this happened to anyone here? What does the warranty say about this? 

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #1,634 of 2,011
Email Head-Direct for warranty replacement.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #1,635 of 2,011
Hello everybody! 

1st post after reading the forum for week before my purchase. 

I used to have the Sure E3C, after 2 years of heavy usage the cable broke and I had to buy new iems so I decided to try the nu-force ne8. Sadly the bass there is really bad, I couldn't get it work to my liking. I don't have any amps, I just have the sansa cllip + which is really portable and great for my needs. 

After reading a lot about a lot of different iems out there, and considering my budget, I decided to get the RE0. Since I knew that they are great with an amp, but I just don't want to carry an extra piece of hardware with me, I started looking for a good portable mp3 player that has a good amp. The only one I found in my price range was the Hippo Gumstick, which has a class A amp. I am not sure what that means, but i am hoping it will be a good compromise considering that I won't be using an amp. 

I've had the RE0 for only 24h (they've been playing to whole time). So far I am impressed. I know that they need at least 100 more hours to burn in, but still they sound great! I listen to a lot of electronic dance music, jazz, classical, and some old hip-hop, so my music choices are all over the place. So far the RE0 are doing very well within every category. Right now I am listening to a once of the best EDM albums ever produced called Airdrwandagger by Sasha in FLAC format and I very happy with what I am hearing. 

I am using Comply T400, which I was using with my Nuforce ne8. I like them, but I was wondering if it is possible to use the yellow foam Sure makes ? And if yes, what do I have to do to fit them.. 

My gumstick is still in the mail, so I was wondering if anyone else has tried the RE0s with it ? 

As soon as I get it  i will post a short review 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back