[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jan 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #1,007 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 has way better treble - no contest at all. UM3X has richer mids and bass though, but they are also arguably more colored than RE0 - more fun - whereas RE0 sounds very honest and neutral, but still sufficiently musical where needed. What RE0 doesn't have if not amped properly is depth and bass definition. It sounds a bit shallow in its presentation - seems like the soundstage is lacking depth and also the bass lacks some tightness. If amped with a good portable amp however, RE0 can improve dramatically - the bass tightens up a lot and the overall sound becomes more 3d, better balanced with better transients and dynamics. For unamped use, I would choose UM3X over RE0, but if you got a decent amp, it's a toss up in my opinion and largely a matter of personal taste which one you will like more.

Hi,

Does the RE0 match well with the iBasso P3 ?

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #1,008 of 2,011
Not possible for it not to.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #1,009 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not possible for it not to.

Of course. This amp matching madness talk has always been a mystery to me. To a degree with certain types of full size cans I understand but IEMs matching to a quality portable amp...pick a good one and plug 'er in and enjoy.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #1,010 of 2,011
Not to mention you can roll opamps and buffers in the P3. How can it not be a [potential] great match with anything?

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #1,011 of 2,011
re0 is high ohm and benefit from higher voltage, so it sounds better with 14volt minibox-e, or hifiman 801 built in amp or other amps that output high voltage, so it is not so obvious that it will sound much better with p3. I believe headsix or mini3 #could# be better than p3. for example ibasso t3 does little for re0 in terms of driving power, but with line out, it could provide cleaner signal than headphone out

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #1,013 of 2,011
Just wondering, how do you guys replace the filters if needed? How do you remove them?

dL

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #1,014 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by dL. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, how do you guys replace the filters if needed? How do you remove them?

dL

It's very easy. Using a needle carefully slide it under the filter (but don't go too deep!) and slowly pull the filter outwards away from the nozzle until it detaches from the nozzle revealing the opening leading to the driver with the yellow foam inside. The filter can be reused many times if you remove it carefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackmondy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Does the RE0 match well with the iBasso P3 ?

I use RE0 with MiniBox E+. They sound very good together. I have no idea about iBasso. Never used one.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #1,015 of 2,011
I use a Minibox-E+ with my RE0 as well, but I've listened to it straight out of my ipod. Didn't sound like it wasn't well driven, but the ipod's hp out isn't very good-sounding. Even an E5 does very well with the zeroes, so the iBasso amp(s) should do just as well if not better than the Fiio at the very least.

Edit: This stuff with the RE0 needing more juice is exaggerated, I find, since the RE0 is very sensitive, maybe not as much as those 125-SPL 'phones, but it is certainly more than my SR325is and AD700 (98 SPL and 32-ohm each), and so they even hiss a little bit out of my Minibox-E+ and Fiio. The hiss is slightly less after rolling opamps, but it is still there. Now if you say my DT880-250ohm benefits from higher voltages, then yes, absolutely, I agree entirely, but the RE0? Not really, they just need an amp with a refined sound, and that doesn't have to be the amp that pumps out the most juice.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #1,016 of 2,011
after 100 hrs burn-in from nano 2g
i found out nano 2g is crap
i m using medium silicone tips
bass is good wth them
everythng seems fine wth re0
i m getting decent sound wth thm
i thnk its time to upgrade my DAP

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #1,017 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by mukulymn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after 100 hrs burn-in from nano 2g
i found out nano 2g is crap
i m using medium silicone tips
bass is good wth them
everythng seems fine wth re0
i m getting decent sound wth thm
i thnk its time to upgrade my DAP

Get a Fiio E1 - should be a huge improvement.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #1,018 of 2,011
I needed a relatively in-expensive, but great sounding IEM to keep at my desk at work and zero'd in on the RE0 pretty quickly. I just took the plunge and ordered one from Head-Direct.

So hopefully within a week or so I should have it. So far the customer service has been outstanding with Head-Direct.

I realize that these would sound great with a portable amp, but the reason I picked these up is that I didn't want to continually carry my other more expensive IEMs back and forth from home to work and I don't want to do the same with my RSA Hornet.

I hope that my iPhone 3g will be good enough as with my experience, it is quite a bit better than my old 3g Nano. Anyone have experience with the RE0 unamped from an iPhone?

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #1,019 of 2,011
^ RE0 is very revealing and sure does benefit a lot from better sources and amplification. However, after a long burn in (200+ hours), I found that it begins to sound really great even unamped out of weaker source, so you should be fine. However, remember that fit is extremely important with RE0 as with many other IEMs, so if you will feel that bass is lacking and/or the sound has too much treble, then you will need to experiment with different tips other than the stock ones. Personally, I've settled for UE Super.fi/Triple.fi single flange silicone tips after experimenting for a long time and comparing lots of different tips from various other IEMs. I also sometimes use the big stock clear bi-flanges when I want a warm, fun sound as opposed to neutral accurate sound that the UE tips give me.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #1,020 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have experience with the RE0 unamped from an iPhone?

Unamped RE0 with iphone 3G

ksc75smile.gif
Join the RE0 family, you wont be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back