[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Dec 7, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #857 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Ordered the Sony hybrids from ebay. What do you mean by decored Olvies ?

The olives have a plastic core that's too small to let it fit the RE0, unless you take a surgical or thin exacto knife and cut the foam away from the plastic core and pull the core out.

I also ordered some of the Sony hybrid copies, cut the tip off the core of the largest size (waaaay too big for my ears) and put that core inside the olive foam to give it some firmness. It's not the best solution, to me, since I sort of butchered my olives removing the core. The Sony hybrids work really good for me on my RE0.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #858 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Badsam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any other earphones people know of that sound even clearer/more detailed than the RE0? - Which are already incredibly clear and detailed. Besides the ER6i.

Do the IE8/UM3X/TF10/SE530 has better clarity/detail? After using these RE0 and really listening everything else just seems so unclear and un-detailed in comparison.

The RE252 are as good as if not better than the RE0 except in the treble, where the RE0 has a slight upper hand when amped well.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #859 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The olives have a plastic core that's too small to let it fit the RE0, unless you take a surgical or thin exacto knife and cut the foam away from the plastic core and pull the core out.

I also ordered some of the Sony hybrid copies, cut the tip off the core of the largest size (waaaay too big for my ears) and put that core inside the olive foam to give it some firmness. It's not the best solution, to me, since I sort of butchered my olives removing the core. The Sony hybrids work really good for me on my RE0.

Got it, thanks. I will give the Sonys a try before shelling out more money fro the Shure Olives.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #860 of 2,011
Quote:

Got it, thanks. I will give the Sonys a try before shelling out more money fro the Shure Olives.

Haven't tried the Sony hybrids myself, but the Shure olives are great. Got mine (a 5 pair pack) for about $17 off ebay.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #861 of 2,011
not a big deal but i think the cheapest olives are $15 from sound earphones if ur in the US

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #862 of 2,011
Finally got em!

I can tell where the bass will expand. It's a little bit shy with no burn in. Even so, it's nice to hear those low double bass notes that were entirely absent on my ne-8s. Some of the mids/treble (in between the two, I'd say) are a little more aggressive than I'd like, but I expect it'll soften a bit. Pharoah Sanders' saxophone is a more abrasive than it should be. Kenny Garrett's sax is more forward than it should be on this recording, but again I expect the bass to open up and mids to soften with burn in.

They are extremely clear though, even without the slightest bit of burn in. I've already heard a couple new things in this song.

The tips that came on these to start fits very well, so no complaints about them. I absolutely can't wait for these puppies to break in nicely. Soon enough I hope to be able to try them side by side TF10s. In any case, these first impressions are promising.

Edit: Their transparency is pretty clear while listening to Diana Krall accompanied only with a jazz electric guitar. Very smooth. I'm also looking forward to building a little amp to help these along. I'll definitely be listening for the bass to open up. Here and there it's alright, but it definitely needs to come out a bit more.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #863 of 2,011
I've had well over 50 hours on mine now and was underwhelmed until today. I found some nice bass on a live track that hadn't sounded so good before. I still find something harsh about them though.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #864 of 2,011
I'm fed up with the rather terrible tips the RE0 came with. They're big, wouldn't stay in my ears when worn over the ears, don't isolate well, and not comfortable. I decided to do something about it.

I took out my black tips from my Shure, and put them on. The Shure tips are truly designed for over the ears. The normal way of wearing it would make them feel small in my ears for some reason, isolate poorly, and little bass. When wore over the ears, all the comfort I've been spoiled by my Shure came back. Now it is comfortable, isolate well, stays in my ear, and now my songs have proper bass!

Even though the RE0 tip is not designed for over the ears, they still don't feel comfortable, isolate poorly, and big. The smaller tip almost destroyed isolation and bass.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #865 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

actually thats too much work for me. i just squeeze the foam together and slowly push the core out of the foam by moving the foam down and its done in like less than a minute.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #866 of 2,011
Sadly my left RE0 came apart while I was pulling it out of my ear. I'll probably be using a small amount of super glue to fix it. Although this would be a good time to replace its terrible fabric-coated cable altogether.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #868 of 2,011
My RE0s came in yesterday, I'm really enjoying them so far! When I'm not actively listening to them I have them burning in, really excited to hear what they'll sound like after 50 hours.

I have to agree that the included tips are mostly useless. I couldn't get a decent fit with any of them. The tips from my e2cs weren't much better. Actually, I am using tips that came with some cheap Sony EX in-ears I bought as a holdover the other month, and they've been perfect. Light, soft and they give me a great seal. They're thinner than most tips I've seen, though. Will this affect the sound in any appreciable way?

Thanks to everyone who's reviewed these, I spent a lot of time lurking before making a decision and I really appreciate the expertise and information provided here.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #869 of 2,011
I guess I'm lucky that I can get a decent seal with some of the included tips (the clear ones).

After overnight burning in, the bass is definitely a little more open (still not as open as I hope it'll be after more burning in), and the harshness in the mids/treble has definitely come down. Happy with the progress so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back