[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Oct 1, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #541 of 2,011
i EQ the low end by 2-3db when using my laptop, but on the go (where i normally use them) i have no way of doing that (i have an ipod classic and the EQ is terrible).

what tips are good for increasing bass depth and quantity and is a FiiO E5 worth while? what about impedance adaptors? where can i get one?

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #542 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only complaints I have about RE0 now are the microphonic cable and a somewhat uncomfortable fit with the double flanges in my left ear, where the tip presses on a part of my outer ear causing pain after wearing them for a while.

As has been noted before here, wearing them over the ear virtually eliminates the microphonics. Just keep the cord loose after it comes over the ear so there's no strain/pull on the IEM. The cord nesting behind the ear kills the microphonics. IMO when wearing them straight the microphonics make them almost unusable unless you're sitting still.

Also as mentioned upthread, you might want to try some modded Shure olives. I can wear them for hours with no discomfort.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #543 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by roosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i EQ the low end by 2-3db when using my laptop, but on the go (where i normally use them) i have no way of doing that (i have an ipod classic and the EQ is terrible).

what tips are good for increasing bass depth and quantity and is a FiiO E5 worth while? what about impedance adaptors? where can i get one?

Impedance adaptors will not help. The RE0 have fairly high impedance as is, and even if they didn't, adding more impedance tends to tighten up bass, and the bass on the RE0 is tight enough already.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #544 of 2,011
Just want to chime in here, I'm using my RE-0s with a Sony CD player, and adding just one click of bass really helps bring out the bass. I don't really have a problem with the bass impact, but it definitely doesn't go very low.

I really love the sound signature of the RE-0s to me it sounds like the first day of fall. It has this nice, airy, cool touch too it. Just really like the tone and overall balance the RE-0 produces.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #545 of 2,011
I love listening to Jazz with the RE0
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #546 of 2,011
Just received those awesome IEM (took only 4 days to reach Europe!). My impression might not be worth much (that's pretty much my fist headphones worth mentioning), but still. At fist first i was a bit disappointed, mostly because i received a version with a plastic cord, and what's strange, with L shaped mini-jack. But that lasted only until i put them in my ears and turned on 24/96 The Eagles - Hotel California, and i must say WOW!
beyersmile.png
I also have some Beyerdinamic DTX800 headphones, although it cost almost the same as RE0, it can't be really compared. Also i can't think of why people are complaining about lack of bass on RE0, well yes it doesn't stand out like on many popular (not on head-fi, but in general
smily_headphones1.gif
) phones, but in my opinion it's a good thing. Only thing i didn't like was that highs sounded a little bit "metallic", but i think burn-in should cure it, also it might be more of a source problem. Considering current price on RE0 it would be quite stupid not to get it.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #547 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by roosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also add the same 2-3 db on the lows, expecially with some very flat recordings.
I use Shure black foams mounted on the inner plastic of Comply foams and this helps a lot.
I also tried the Fiio E5 and it is very good, it adds about 3 db on 100 Hz and opens a little bit the soundstage.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #548 of 2,011
I just picked up a pair of these out of curiosity and because the price is so low, and they do sound great. I love detail and these provide a ton without ever getting too bright or sibilant, at least so far. Just going from memory, they are right up there with the Ety Er4s I used to have with Apuresound cable, and even a little smoother and less fatiguing.

I can't wait to try them with my Hifiman 801 when it comes, as I heard there is good synergy with these. For now they are the most bang for the buck I have heard....

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #549 of 2,011
Hello guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is my first post over here. Just ordered a pair of RE0, been looking at it since summer, finally decided to get it just now.

Probably takes about 2 weeks to get it, hope it's worth the wait, and things all go well.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #550 of 2,011
Now that I have had a little more time with the REOs, I would say that the bass is definitely a bit light as many have noted. For me it only affects about one song in 20 because of the music I listen to. The rest of the spectrum sounds wonderfully natural and real, but occasionally the lack of body to the bass interferes with the illusion and distracts me from the music.

I will still probably keep these for travel since they are so inexpensive, and 95% of the time the musical experience they provide is great. It has reminded me of why I enjoy iems so the next thing I may try is a pair of UMX3s

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #551 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicklite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is my first post over here. Just ordered a pair of RE0, been looking at it since summer, finally decided to get it just now.

Probably takes about 2 weeks to get it, hope it's worth the wait, and things all go well.

It was a good decision. I admit I was a bit disappointed first, but after some 50-80 hours, I say it's a bargain. Level of detail is incredible! And I got them here in 5 working days. Directly from China.

BTW, welcome ... and sorry about your wallet.

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #552 of 2,011
Thanks. As for wallet - I think it's very decent price, pretty much all the budget IEMs I've had broke, so looking for some quality this time too; the warranty that Head Direct provides also seem reassuring. I've been eyeing for a pair of SE530 for a while now, since the E500 was nicked. But the price just never goes under £200, no refresh model means the cable problem is there. So when something that offers similar SQ comes along at a third the price, It's hard to resist.

I sold my D2 a while ago, kinda regretting it now. Cos I8910 HD that I'll use to drive RE0 is already bass lacking, adding them together is asking for Etymotic like signature.
frown.gif

Will see how it turns out.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back