[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Oct 22, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #647 of 2,011
Amping will give more body and impact to the bass, but it won't be 'a lot more'.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #648 of 2,011
ClieOS, I've been really surprised by the number of people who've preferred the RE0 over/equal to the UM3X in side by side listening. Considering how the UM3X was only recently "the best thing yet," this is really high praise.

By the way, has anyone had the chance to try out the newest edition of the RE0 with the rubberized cable, improved plug, and new packaging? If it's resolved the durability issues the RE0 had in the past, I can go back to wholeheartedly recommending these to friends.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #649 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by peli_kan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, has anyone had the chance to try out the newest edition of the RE0 with the rubberized cable, improved plug, and new packaging? If it's resolved the durability issues the RE0 had in the past, I can go back to wholeheartedly recommending these to friends.

I have the newest edition of the RE0. How should I test its durability?

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #650 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gossling /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tell us if they still work in a year
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #651 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gossling /img/forum/go_quote.gif

By tossing them in an envelope and sending it to 2455 S...

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #652 of 2,011
You're going to find yourself EQing the hell out of them. These phones are BRIGHT. Not harshly so, you don't hear a lot of hiss, but these are the first phones I've heart that can make cymbals the loudest instrument on a metal track.

Metal, with all those loud-ass guitars.

Once you're done flattening them out, they have a beautiful sound. They're so lifelike, so revealing, that I still find myself looking around for the instruments. The bass isn't absent, but it's tame. These phones don't boom, and the top end took a good deal of rolling back before the sound evened out. Once it did, however, it has a presentation one can call "civilized"--clean, moderate, sharp.

It's hard to overstate the accuracy of these phones. Drums sound like you're sitting in front of the kit. Vocals find extra breaths, extra syllables. Horn solos sound on-stage live. It makes me jumpy sometimes, like I'm standing in the middle of a studio during a recording.

Truly top-end performance at $99. A must-buy.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #653 of 2,011
Funny, I don't consider them bright at all. Definitely not bright compared to the RE2 or any of the Grados I've owned. I think they work fine for rock & metal with a flat eq., but its really up to each person individually to decide what they prefer.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #654 of 2,011
Last time I stood next to a drum kit, the cymbals struck me as the harshest and loudest part. It took me a while to get used to hearing this portrayed accurately in the RE0 because almost any other earphone/headphone/speaker in this price range is not as true to the original.

Anybody listen to Russian Circles? Sounds very lifelike on the RE0 and not just the cymbals and highs.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #655 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by peli_kan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ClieOS, I've been really surprised by the number of people who've preferred the RE0 over/equal to the UM3X in side by side listening. Considering how the UM3X was only recently "the best thing yet," this is really high praise.

If anything, I was almost ready to jump on a pair of UM3X. But after the audition, I don't feel like the same way anymore. Not that UM3X is bad, but the feeling of sidestepping instead of upgrading (from what I already have) isn't really encouraging either.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #656 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, thanks for that info! Did you do the mod on the re0 where you remove the foam?
Greetings, Anouk,

No, I haven't. Quite happy with the sound of the RE0s sans comply so I didn't want to change anything but if you try it with the complys let us know!

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #657 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to find yourself EQing the hell out of them. These phones are BRIGHT.

I'm sillily sensitive to that stuff. I once called the V6's cold, haha. But that's probably because I had been so used to a bunch of cheap stuff before.
biggrin.gif
Still, I'm very used to my ER6i's. Would anyone call those bright? I'm ok w/ them.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #658 of 2,011
I have mentioned this in another thread but I thought i'd put it here too. I too have removed the foam in my RE-0s. After a little time to get used to the new sound signature I feel the sound has vastly improved. Well worth a try for anyone wanting more forward mids.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #659 of 2,011
Just got mine - and wow!!!
atsmile.gif

I tried a decent source, they sounded incredible. Though seems Sansa Fuze cannot drive them properly for them to shine.
confused_face.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #660 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicklite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine - and wow!!!
atsmile.gif

I tried a decent source, they sounded incredible. Though seems Sansa Fuze cannot drive them properly for them to shine.
confused_face.gif

Interesting comment, I've been loving them with my Fuze. Maybe I am missing out on more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back