[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Feb 21, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #46 of 1,181
IMO the Arrow is a big step up from the T3, but of course the Stepdance is a step up from that with all dynamic driver IEMs I have used with it, but is huge.  The Pico Slim is very nice also and might pair quite wel.  I have found new love for the Arrow with my high end BAs, but this is not the case here and my Pico Slim and Stepdance really do dynamics better for me.  Not too sure what other good options there are in the price range.  The TTVJ Slim is good, but warm and tube like, if you like that, but I think it is pricier.  There are plenty of DIY amps in the $100+ range on ebay that look good a friend kept asking me to give my opinion on before he finally bought an Arrow.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #47 of 1,181

Quote:
Moving right along, while the MG6pro do well out of an ipod, I think a portable amp is the next thing I'll plan to toss some money at.

I have an ibasso T3, could anyone suggest an upgrade that would match the MG6pro as I've described it? Would the Headstage Arrow be a good step up?
Extended above and below, detailed, clear and neutral would be great (and, if possible, noticeably better than the T3, which is already reasonably nice).

I would definitely recommend the Arrow especially if the versatility and form factor appeal to you.  The Stepdance, iBasso PB2 would be good as well. 

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #48 of 1,181

Quote:
IMO the Arrow is a big step up from the T3, but of course the Stepdance is a step up from that with all dynamic driver IEMs I have used with it, but is huge.  The Pico Slim is very nice also and might pair quite wel.  I have found new love for the Arrow with my high end BAs, but this is not the case here and my Pico Slim and Stepdance really do dynamics better for me.  Not too sure what other good options there are in the price range.  The TTVJ Slim is good, but warm and tube like, if you like that, but I think it is pricier.  There are plenty of DIY amps in the $100+ range on ebay that look good a friend kept asking me to give my opinion on before he finally bought an Arrow.

Quote:
I would definitely recommend the Arrow especially if the versatility and form factor appeal to you.  The Stepdance, iBasso PB2 would be good as well. 

Thanks guys, I forgot to say that "small and thin" like the T3, was important, too. The Arrow looks good. The pico slim is two hundred more, but looks good too. I'll check out the stepdance, PB2 and TTVJ slim, too. Does the arrow roll-off at treble or bass? I'd like to avoid that.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #49 of 1,181
Any further comments from knowledgeable folks are welcome.

So, on looking around a bit, it seems like the stepdance has by far the best sound, but is more transportable than portable and the battery life is a pain. I'd like to commute with my ipod/amp in my hand/man-purse.

The TTVJ and the Arrow seem like good choices with the pico slim being more than I'd like to spend. Seems like the TTVJ Slim and the Arrow have quite different sound sigs, though.

Thanks again guys, again, any further comments are welcome.

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #50 of 1,181

Quote:
Any further comments from knowledgeable folks are welcome.

So, on looking around a bit, it seems like the stepdance has by far the best sound, but is more transportable than portable and the battery life is a pain. I'd like to commute with my ipod/amp in my hand/man-purse.

The TTVJ and the Arrow seem like good choices with the pico slim being more than I'd like to spend. Seems like the TTVJ Slim and the Arrow have quite different sound sigs, though.

Thanks again guys, again, any further comments are welcome.

There is the Fiio E11 coming out too.  Might be worth the minimal wait and cost savings.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #51 of 1,181

Quote:
There is the Fiio E11 coming out too.  Might be worth the minimal wait and cost savings.

Thanks, looks like it'll be out in a month or several. It'll be interesting to see how it matches up.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #52 of 1,181
Mar 14, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #53 of 1,181
Mar 14, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #54 of 1,181

Quote:
Nice!  Surprised at the JH16 being somewhat dark.  Curious, what tips did you use and was the demo a single, dual or triple bore?

Triple, pretty sure. I didn't look very closely beyond, "oh, there the multiple bores are". I used foam tips, so that would darken it a bit, but I tried to take that into account when I wrote down my impressions as best I could. Certainly they didn't sparkle the way the MG6Pro did and I don't think that would change.

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #55 of 1,181
Dude where do you go to hear these demo customs?  I wanna try!!!!!!!

Thanks for the impressions!  That is pretty interesting...I had decided that if I ever win the lottery, I'd get a pair of JH16's.  I wonder how much the sound was influenced by it being a universal demo, as some IEM's can be tremendously sensitive to tip choice.

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #56 of 1,181

Quote:
Dude where do you go to hear these demo customs?  I wanna try!!!!!!!

Thanks for the impressions!  That is pretty interesting...I had decided that if I ever win the lottery, I'd get a pair of JH16's.  I wonder how much the sound was influenced by it being a universal demo, as some IEM's can be tremendously sensitive to tip choice.

I went to my audiologist, Andrew Resnick, a very nice guy who is a musician and has a lot of experience with musician's monitors. He has a set of Softerwear sleeves for his FS Atrio. He's an FS dealer and also a JH dealer.

Yeah, anyone who feels upset at my comparison, just blame it on the universal demo! I got an excellent fit, but foam tips do eat a bit of the treble edginess, however. Maybe that softened sibilance in the JH16, I couldn't say.

Tip and fit do have an impact, but once one has a good fit (that's key!) then I do not think that tip changes have such a large effect that it is as though one has a different earphone--just an adjustment of how a single earphone sounds a bit. Of course, from a good fit to not-quite a good fit, that can be bigger. I think having the monster turbine pro copper is like training for how to get a good fit because the sound does open up if one gets a good fit. I do not think timbre would be effected across frequency ranges.

Mar 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #57 of 1,181

Quote:
I think having the monster turbine pro copper is like training for how to get a good fit because the sound does open up if one gets a good fit.

Very good point.  Fitting Coppers should be like a Head-Fi exam.  Next, take the ER4 and DBA and find the bass.  Then you move on to TF10, 252 and DDM exams.    

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #58 of 1,181
Kunlun how does the MG6PRO Ear Monitors compare to the new Atrios with the MG7 dynamic drivers?

Thank You.

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #59 of 1,181
Check out post three in this thread. He did write up some comparisons in that post. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #60 of 1,181
Thanks a lot for this review :) :) there few and far between and usually extremely biased persons. That being said i started out using Shure's e2c and se210 onto cx300 then 500 then onto my Atrio V2 which i had for almost 2 years and really loved them but they were getting into bad shape from the fact that i use them at work and at home. So i recently bought both the ie8 and tf10, i absolutely love the ie8 after its burn in and never thought i'd want anything else ... the TF10 is brighter but not enough volume or bass for my likes :) HOWEVER the ie8 isn't exactly the most comfortable and I've been thinking of getting custom tips made from Fisher but i don't like the idea of having them stick out even further from my ears :frowning2:. So If you know anyone or can get a loaner pair of IE8 to compare the mg6 too Please come back with some comparisons because now that I've gotten used to ie8s sound stage and almost invisible boundries and open feeling like open air cans have, I'd hate to give that up just for a better fit/slimmer view. So any feedback in the future on this would be loved :) bookmarking this review now for later buying pleasure :) (god i need to stop reading stuff here. all my wife keeps saying is Don't you have Enough headphones yet" hehe i'm waiting for xb1000 to release in america and already put money aside for em) But seriously the FS custom is the only dynamic driver custom and if they sound as good as ie8's i'm sold :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back