Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 16, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #646 of 4,469

Quote:
Well, I've owned the UM3X, the W3 and the W2, and I prefer the DBA-02s. I had already shed the Westones before buying the Fischers, but from memory, I would not trade the DBAs for any of the Westones for various reasons. And I even have the Westone UM56 custom sleeves, which I use with the SM3s not the DBAs (the DBA stalk is a little thicker than the SM3 stalk, and I was concerned about damaging the DBAs).

I use the UM56 with the DBA-02 and they won't damage them at all. I still own the the W3 and W2. For me it's W3>DBA-02>W2.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #648 of 4,469

Quote:

I use the UM56 with the DBA-02 and they won't damage them at all. I still own the the W3 and W2. For me it's W3>DBA-02>W2.

I guess I just felt it was a little tough getting the UM56 onto the DBAs, plus I use them on the SM3s. And I can see how you might prefer the W3 to the DBAs, but to me, I find the overall clarity and neutral sound sig of the DBAs preferable. I had problem with fit with the W3s as well, and could only use the modded Shure tri-flanges. But the of the Westones, I did like the W3s most.

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #649 of 4,469

Quote:
I guess I just felt it was a little tough getting the UM56 onto the DBAs, plus I use them on the SM3s. And I can see how you might prefer the W3 to the DBAs, but to me, I find the overall clarity and neutral sound sig of the DBAs preferable. I had problem with fit with the W3s as well, and could only use the modded Shure tri-flanges. But the of the Westones, I did like the W3s most.

I keep reading positives comments about the SM3. I'm keeping myself from pulling the trigger because I have yet to read about a comparison with someone who still owns either the W3, UM3X, Triple Fi 10, and SE530. Only read reviews of people who used to own one or more of them and are basing it on memory. Since you currently own the DBA-02 and SM3, does the SM3 do anything better in your opinion?

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #650 of 4,469
Actually, I own the SM3, and a nameless head-fier has just sent me his DBA to borrow for a week or two to make a comparison between it and the SM3. The DBA should reach me any day now. So if you can hold on tight I will do a detailed comparison on sound soon (I usually don't get into appearance and comfort unless it's absolutely unbearable, but I will break down the sound for you).

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #651 of 4,469

I'm looking forward to it. Try also DBA with ety tips if you can, thank you
Quote:
Actually, I own the SM3, and a nameless head-fier has just sent me his DBA to borrow for a week or two to make a comparison between it and the SM3. The DBA should reach me any day now. So if you can hold on tight I will do a detailed comparison on sound soon (I usually don't get into appearance and comfort unless it's absolutely unbearable, but I will break down the sound for you).

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #652 of 4,469

Quote:

Cool, thanks in advance!

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #653 of 4,469
I look forward to that as well :) However you did mention in the SM3 thread that triple flanges don't work well so the Etymotic tips probably won't do much :p

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #654 of 4,469

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it. Try also DBA with ety tips if you can, thank you

Triple flange don't go well with Eric's ears I believe 
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #655 of 4,469
Jun 16, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #656 of 4,469
Well, without a detailed analysis, I can absolutely say that of the two, I prefer the SM3s and that's no surprise. They are fuller, if that's the right word, and offer a more dynamic listening experience than the DBAs. But as I have posted elsewhere, I would not be unhappy at all if the DBAs were my only IEM. The DBAs are good, but the SM3s do pretty much everything better, and both are very transparent, detailed IEMs with excellent soundstage and space. Having said that, if you prefer the W3s over the DBAs, then maybe you will be happy with the W3s over the SM3s too. Not sure, as they offer very different sound signatures.

Quote:

Cool, thanks in advance!

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #657 of 4,469

Quote:
Well, without a detailed analysis, I can absolutely say that of the two, I prefer the SM3s and that's no surprise. They are fuller, if that's the right word, and offer a more dynamic listening experience than the DBAs. But as I have posted elsewhere, I would not be unhappy at all if the DBAs were my only IEM. The DBAs are good, but the SM3s do pretty much everything better, and both are very transparent, detailed IEMs with excellent soundstage and space. Having said that, if you prefer the W3s over the DBAs, then maybe you will be happy with the W3s over the SM3s too. Not sure, as they offer very different sound signatures.

Interesting. The best soundstage and bass I've heard for a universal BA based iem, is the W3. I've read that the SM3 is excellent in those areas as well. The DBA-02 doesn't particularly excel in those areas but still offers a pleasant listening experience.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #658 of 4,469

Quote:

Interesting. The best soundstage and bass I've heard for a universal BA based iem, is the W3. I've read that the SM3 is excellent in those areas as well. The DBA-02 doesn't particularly excel in those areas but still offers a pleasant listening experience.

SM3 has better bass than Westone 3 - it is tighter and more musical IMO. As for soundstage, both are great for IEMs, but SM3 is more coherent which makes it sound even bigger than W3 IMO. Also, SM3 is more detailed in the treble region than any other IEM I've heard so far - the detials do not stand out and are nicely integrated with the rest of the sound, but are still easy to pick out. Westone 3 falls short in its retrieval of subtle harmonics by comparison.

Regarding the DBA-02: I am thinking of picking up a pair as a "backup" to my SM3, since the SM3 is not particularly great on the build quality department (I have the older version with the original shell - the new revised SM3s with higher quality outer shell are supposedly more durable).

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #659 of 4,469

Quote:

SM3 has better bass than Westone 3 - it is tighter and more musical IMO. As for soundstage, both are great for IEMs, but SM3 is more coherent which makes it sound even bigger than W3 IMO. Also, SM3 is more detailed in the treble region than any other IEM I've heard so far - the detials do not stand out and are nicely integrated with the rest of the sound, but are still easy to pick out. Westone 3 falls short in its retrieval of subtle harmonics by comparison.

I read somewhere in the SM3 thread that you find the SM3 a bit incoherent? I understand what you meant when I finally get the sm3, but for me those characteristics appear to be excellent separation and imaging.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #660 of 4,469

Quote:

I read somewhere in the SM3 thread that you find the SM3 a bit incoherent? I understand what you meant when I finally get the sm3, but for me those characteristics appear to be excellent separation and imaging.

Yes, SM3 sounded a bit incoherent and muddy to my ears at the beginning, but as the crossovers burned it, the sound seems to have become better composed and clearer. Now I don't really feel like SM3 lacks coherency anymore.
biggrin.gif

But in any case, the SM3 is still much more coherent sounding than W3 IMO. In fact, with some tips, the Westones sounded completely disjointed to my ears in the bass mids and highs - the sound was totally muddy and just plain awful. I've never experienced this with the SM3 with none of the tips I tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back