Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #661 of 4,469

Quote:

SM3 has better bass than Westone 3 - it is tighter and more musical IMO. As for soundstage, both are great for IEMs, but SM3 is more coherent which makes it sound even bigger than W3 IMO. Also, SM3 is more detailed in the treble region than any other IEM I've heard so far - the detials do not stand out and are nicely integrated with the rest of the sound, but are still easy to pick out. Westone 3 falls short in its retrieval of subtle harmonics by comparison.

Regarding the DBA-02: I am thinking of picking up a pair as a "backup" to my SM3, since the SM3 is not particularly great on the build quality department (I have the older version with the original shell - the new revised SM3s with higher quality outer shell are supposedly more durable).

Based on memory or do you currently own the W3?
What is exactly wrong with the old shell?

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #662 of 4,469

Quote:
I look forward to that as well :) However you did mention in the SM3 thread that triple flanges don't work well so the Etymotic tips probably won't do much :p

Right, I won't be able to try any triple flanges tips with the DBA or SM3. Those just don't work well with my ear canals. I forgot to say thank you to the DBA supplier, so I will do it on your post @ rawrster since you're here...lol

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #663 of 4,469
Guess we have to disagree on the bass/soundstage thing re the DBA, I suppose. I don't find either lacking with the Fischers. Of course, the W3's mid-bass hump is legendary. But the SM3 also excels at both. But we do agree that the DBA is a positive listening experience.

Quote:

Interesting. The best soundstage and bass I've heard for a universal BA based iem, is the W3. I've read that the SM3 is excellent in those areas as well. The DBA-02 doesn't particularly excel in those areas but still offers a pleasant listening experience.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #664 of 4,469

Quote:

SM3 has better bass than Westone 3 - it is tighter and more musical IMO. As for soundstage, both are great for IEMs, but SM3 is more coherent which makes it sound even bigger than W3 IMO. Also, SM3 is more detailed in the treble region than any other IEM I've heard so far - the details do not stand out and are nicely integrated with the rest of the sound, but are still easy to pick out. Westone 3 falls short in its retrieval of subtle harmonics by comparison.

I agree across the board, the SM3 bass is much tighter and more musical and realistic sounding than the westone 3 and the SM3 soundstage is a lot wider than the westone 3.

SM3 treble is also the nicest and most detailed and tingly that i have heard in any phone. The details in the westone 3 are not that far behind but are presentend in a more in your face way which i find gets very fatiguing after a while ,and that's before we even get to the sibilance that the w3 puts out

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #665 of 4,469

Quote:

I agree across the board, the SM3 bass is much tighter and more musical and realistic sounding than the westone 3 and the SM3 soundstage is a lot wider than the westone 3.

SM3 treble is also the nicest and most detailed and tingly that i have heard in any phone. The details in the westone 3 are not that far behind but are presentend in a more in your face way which i find gets very fatiguing after a while ,and that's before we even get to the sibilance that the w3 puts out

You guys are really starting to piss me off w/ these SM3's!!  Can anyone say something bad about them please?!

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #667 of 4,469
LOL  @rawrster and Anaxilus. Okay, something bad about them??? Hmmmm???? LOl..Oh! yes. They don't have that wonderful wood driver timbre of the FX700. That timbre is very unique and wonderful to me...lol. Let's see?  Hmmmm? Oh! Without the right tips and seal in your hears they sound terrible (kind of)...lol. Yesterday they were uncomfortable sitting inside my inner-ear, but today they have gotten quite comfortable. I tried buddies...hahaha.
beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #668 of 4,469

Quote:
LOL  @rawrster and Anaxilus. Okay, something bad about them??? Hmmmm???? LOl..Oh! yes. They don't have that wonderful wood driver timbre of the FX700. That timbre is very unique and wonderful to me...lol. Let's see?  Hmmmm? Oh! Without the right tips and seal in your hears they sound terrible (kind of)...lol. Yesterday they were uncomfortable sitting inside my inner-ear, but today they have gotten quite comfortable. I tried buddies...hahaha.
beerchug.gif

In the mids and bass, but treble sounds awesome that way!
biggrin.gif
To the weakness I would like to add that because the SM3 is so neutral, there are more fun 'phones out there for certain types of music for people who like certain colorations. If you crave big bass, the SM3 may not be for you. If you want super smooth, seductive mids like those on Shure SE530, you won't get that either. If you are looking for spine tingling Etymotic treble, the SM3 may disappoint.

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #669 of 4,469
I liked that post Pianist :) The DBA 02 is quite neutral to my ears and at the cost is a bargain. If the SM3 is neutral I may wait and see. Thank goodness I committed to customs and remolding before anything. I need to upgrade source anyway and have a dac in mind.

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #670 of 4,469

Quote:
I liked that post Pianist :) The DBA 02 is quite neutral to my ears and at the cost is a bargain. If the SM3 is neutral I may wait and see. Thank goodness I committed to customs and remolding before anything. I need to upgrade source anyway and have a dac in mind.

Out of curiosity, what customs did you buy?

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #671 of 4,469

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what customs did you buy?

I think he means custom tips or reshell for the universals that he has.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #672 of 4,469

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #674 of 4,469
go to the reseller websites and see if you can do that. Either way I think they are definitely worth the wait. I waited close to 6 weeks or more and they definitely were worth it. It did help that I had the Ck10 and e-Q7 as very capable iem's however

Users who are viewing this thread

Back