Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #631 of 4,469
I use a tad of saliva with my ER-20s to insert them. Make it a bit easier to stuff them through the mazes that are my ear canals without them getting stuck at the kink.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #632 of 4,469
X2 on the saliva.

As for the PFE comparison, I didn't say they were a major upgrade, but the DBAs are much more preferable to me. Not all that close. Just sound better with a variety of sources, and no need for EQ (maybe just a bass tick on occasion).

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #633 of 4,469
time to chime in:
I’ve been listening the DBA-02 for the last week, and must say I’m truly ecstatic about their performance!! Quite transparent, fast, very, very detailed, but presenting a little emphasis on upper mid-range. On the first days I had issues with fit with stock tips, which I believe contributed with the harsh sound perceived on a few recordings. Switched to Klipsch’s smallest double-flange tips and things improved a bit.

Regarding bass performance, coming from Klipsch X10 and Denon 700s, I was afraid DBA’s  bass would not be sufficient, but to my surprise I do not miss a thing. Bass is tight, fast, and controlled. if the recording has it, it will show up! X10 bass feels bloated in comparison, and Denon’s, well, like an uncontrolled beast!! Just terrible.
Imaging and instrument separation are terrific! They remind me the legendary Quad electrostatic speakers on these regards!! Really beautiful.

No matter what music genre I throw at them, they sound beautiful, and fun to listen to.
Have tried Porcupine Tree’s albums , and until now didn't realized how much is going on their music.  Dreg´s El Cielo sounds just perfect. But special mention has to go to Premiata Forneria Marconi’s Per un amico!! One of my all-time-favorite progressive rock albums.  This is a 1972 production with demanding dynamics, and a mixture of instruments (guitar, piccolo, violin, flute, moog synthesizer, mellotron, piano, drums, etc.), where every voice and instrument is rendered  with uncanny detail and precision!! Best reproduction ever for a masterpiece!!

In order to check on accuracy (timbre?), I played a C4trio album, composed of 3 “cuatros”, a Latin American 4-string small guitar, instrument I have heard live a hundred times!! Well, DBAs performs perfectly here!!
Then I tried several Sixun albums (terrific French jazz-fusion group) and again, I would listen to this group endlessly with the DBAs.
Yesterday I went back to the X10…. Like watching a movie with optics out of focus!!! Dark and veiled. Funny thing is I regarded the X10 as excellent IEMs. As the saying goes “you don´t miss what you don´t know”.

Out of curiosity, I did a frequency swept with a sine wave generator software, listening to DBA-02 at the analog output of my laptop, and I measured a  peak of approximately 4 db @ 6,400 Hz referenced to  1000 Hz level. I guess this explains harsh sound on some recordings. With Rockbox I configured an equalizer setting with a a peak of – 4 db @ 6,400 Hz to level things out. Applying this setting I get an even smoother sound but losing a little sparkle!! 

I have been listening the DBAs from HP output of my 5.5 gen Rocboxed Ipod, and the harsh sound I hear now and then, is diminished  when listening via the laptop analog output. I have the feeling that going LOD plus amp would improve things even more!

To sum it up, after listening the DBAs I wonder how much to  I’d have to pay in order to get a significant SQ improvement! For me, they provide quite an emotional and fun connection to music. And they are really addictive!! Thanks to this forum for allowing me to discover such a wonderful transducer , and such a bargain ¡!
etysmile.gif

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #634 of 4,469
Excellent review. I am with you 100 percent on the DBAs, but that's no secret. And they do scale up very well with an amp (even using a quality mini cable, a T3 and HP out from my various players). I have the Earsonics SM3s as well, and they are different and very good. If I had to give one up, it would be tough to do. But as I have said to friends, if the DBAs were my only IEMs, I would be very happy. Having both is great. But is the $250 or so difference in price worth it? That is a very very tough question, which is why I have both I also am considering buying a backup pair of DBAs.

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #635 of 4,469

Quote:
Excellent review. I am with you 100 percent on the DBAs, but that's no secret. And they do scale up very well with an amp (even using a quality mini cable, a T3 and HP out from my various players). I have the Earsonics SM3s as well, and they are different and very good. If I had to give one up, it would be tough to do. But as I have said to friends, if the DBAs were my only IEMs, I would be very happy. Having both is great. But is the $250 or so difference in price worth it? That is a very very tough question, which is why I have both I also am considering buying a backup pair of DBAs.

Well now that is interesting.  I think you are the first person that doesn't find the SM3 to be a clear revelation or the next level above all universal IEM's?

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #636 of 4,469
I didn't mean to imply that, and I need qualify/clarify my comments. I think the SM3s are that good, but I also think the DBAs are punching way above their weight, if that makes sense. I have owned the MTPC, IE8, UM3X, W3, W2 and CK10s, among others, and to me the DBAs are preferable. So it's not that I am diminishing the SM3s in any way, I just find the DBAs to be an excellent IEM in its own right, and more than that, the best value I have ever encountered in an IEM. A close second, for example, is the PR1 Pro (thanks to Joker for that), in terms of value.

josesol07 nails it, when he compares the X10s to the DBAs. I also owned the X10s once upon a time, and I thought they were pretty good too. But the DBAs are on another level. The X10 MSRP? $350. The DBAs? $160. Enough said.

I intend on keeping all three of those IEMs in fact, as I currently own them. I have the best, the SM3, and to me, the two best values. Nice combo, right?

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #639 of 4,469
I'd be interested in comparisons between DBA-02's and various Westones (W2, W3, UM3X). I'm loving the DBAs, but all of those Westones have been on my wish list.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #640 of 4,469

Quote:
I'd be interested in comparisons between DBA-02's and various Westones (W2, W3, UM3X). I'm loving the DBAs, but all of those Westones have been on my wish list.

I have heard those and they were on my wish list as well. I wish for them no more.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #641 of 4,469
I use Shure triple flanges on my with the stalk trimmed. It's similar to the Etymotic one except that you can cut the stalk and it is a bit stiffer.

I'm not sure about the W2 or UM3X but it would be hard to compare the W3 as their signatures are completely different.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #643 of 4,469

Quote:
You're telling me that the DBA-02 are equal, or even better than the UM-3X?
smile.gif

That appears to be what he said.  
eek.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #644 of 4,469
Well, I've owned the UM3X, the W3 and the W2, and I prefer the DBA-02s. I had already shed the Westones before buying the Fischers, but from memory, I would not trade the DBAs for any of the Westones for various reasons. And I even have the Westone UM56 custom sleeves, which I use with the SM3s not the DBAs (the DBA stalk is a little thicker than the SM3 stalk, and I was concerned about damaging the DBAs).

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #645 of 4,469

Quote:
Well, I've owned the UM3X, the W3 and the W2, and I prefer the DBA-02s. I had already shed the Westones before buying the Fischers, but from memory, I would not trade the DBAs for any of the Westones for various reasons. And I even have the Westone UM56 custom sleeves, which I use with the SM3s not the DBAs (the DBA stalk is a little thicker than the SM3 stalk, and I was concerned about damaging the DBAs).

I think this has been mentioned before but, Westones and Earsonics take the same sleeves then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back