Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Apr 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #46 of 4,469
Closer to W3 definitely
o2smile.gif

I'd say it is as good as W3 or better in terms of quality.
And It's just slightly smaller in quantity(some may prefer it).
I couldn't find as striking low end bass(infrabass), I found in W3.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #47 of 4,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteBear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Closer to W3 definitely
o2smile.gif

I'd say it is as good as W3 or better in terms of quality.
And It's just slightly smaller in quantity(some may prefer it).
I couldn't find as striking low end bass(infrabass), I found in W3.

WhiteBear, you have both the W3 and UM3X in your signature. Maybe you could describe how the DBA-02 sound signature is in relation to the two Westone phones?

To me, I had the early numbered TF10, and many recently describe the Triples having more bass than I seem to have had with mine. So the DBA-02 in relation to W3 and UM3X helps me a bit more more than W3 and TF10 comparisons do.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #48 of 4,469
In terms of excitement I would rate them like that: W3>DBA-02>>>UM3X
W3 is exellent with 70% of my music. Disapointing with 30%(3 drivers not balanced good enough with each other IMHO).
DBA-02 very good and exciting with 95%(much more balanced sound signature). Not bad 5% overall(sibilance).
UM3X boooring.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #50 of 4,469
Everyone seems to be concerned about bass on the DBA-02.

I find that when any item has too much bass it will add a boom to the cello section or solo cello of well done classical recordings. Think of the HD-600 vs the HD-650. The 600 has, what I feel, is just the right amount of bass while the 650 will make the cello and basses sound boomy.

The DBA-02 makes a cello sound like a cello. An acoustic upright bass sounds like an acoustic upright bass. Scott LaFaro fans or Mingus fans....watch out! There is no lack of bass. If I play some Jay-Z through it, it pounds very nicely. If I play some Mingus through it, it's thick, detailed and deep. I don't know how else to put it. It plays exactly what's in the pits, grooves or bits. THAT is why I love these so much.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #51 of 4,469
I think the key concept with bass is not the amount but the extension. Really, the hard part to get is not the 100Hz tone or even a 60Hz tone. It's the 20Hz or 30Hz tones that very few earphones have the low end sensitivity for or in many cases even the capability to produce even with a significant amount of EQing. It's basically what Whitebear said with "infrabass." This low frequency bass is where the visceral experience is created, the difference between hearing a bass note and feeling that bass note with energy and presence. Very few earphones do it. It's nice when they actually have it.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #52 of 4,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the key concept with bass is not the amount but the extension. Really, the hard part to get is not the 100Hz tone or even a 60Hz tone. It's the 20Hz or 30Hz tones that very few earphones have the low end sensitivity for or in many cases even the capability to produce even with a significant amount of EQing. It's basically what Whitebear said with "infrabass." This low frequency bass is where the visceral experience is created, the difference between hearing a bass note and feeling that bass note with energy and presence. Very few earphones do it. It's nice when they actually have it.

I think I have some very visceral demo tracks. Some include timpani and some include pipe organs. On every single track the DBA-02's played what was there. If your track has low bass, the DBA-02's will play that low bass. A great example for low, low bass is Saint-Saëns Symphony No. 3. The DBA-02 played it with no trouble at all. It also played some bass demo tracks I own with aplomb, as if it wasn't even trying.

I have also tried EQ'ing with these and I can honestly say I can hear a difference of 0.5 db when cutting or boosting on these. I have yet to try to master on these but that trial will be coming very soon.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #53 of 4,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that when any item has too much bass it will add a boom to the cello section or solo cello of well done classical recordings. Think of the HD-600 vs the HD-650. The 600 has, what I feel, is just the right amount of bass while the 650 will make the cello and basses sound boomy.

It is not the problem of too much bass.
It is bass quality problem itself.

I own Ultrasone 2500 Pro. Extremely bass heavy headphones.
But this bass is so deep ,clear and sharp , I can't believe. At the same time it doesn't suppress or muddy overall sound.

Sennheiser HD650 don't even come close...
HD650's sound is dark and suppressed.

IMHO...

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #54 of 4,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteBear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not the problem of too much bass.
It is bass quality problem itself.

I own Ultrasone 2500 Pro. Extremely bass heavy headphones.
But this bass is so deep ,clear and sharp , I can't believe. At the same time it doesn't suppress or muddy overall sound.

Sennheiser HD650 don't even come close...
HD650's sound is dark and suppressed.

IMHO...

I have never heard the Ultrasone 2500 Pro but the HD-600 and HD-650 was just an example.

Regardless, I feel the DBA-02 bass quality is spot on. I know others will disagree and that's the nature of this hobby.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #55 of 4,469
I too find DBA-02 bass very exciting. I am sure it will satisfy everyone.
It is big ,detailed and dense. And not boomy or soft.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #56 of 4,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+1

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #57 of 4,469
Well I don't know how any of Fischer IEMs sound (reviews sound promising) but I must admit that looking at their can on their site - especially the new FA-002 - makes me excited about possibly buying a pair of can again. I currently own none. If those cans sound as wonderful as they look, all I can say is wow!

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #58 of 4,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I don't know how any of Fischer IEMs sound (reviews sound promising) but I must admit that looking at their can on their site - especially the new FA-002 - makes me excited about possibly buying a pair of can again. I currently own none. If those cans sound as wonderful as they look, all I can say is wow!

I'm also extremely curious about those FA-002/3's full size cans. I did get a FA-004 in my box but that hasn't been listened to yet. They do look very cool though. Very retro design.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #59 of 4,469
Of all FA stuff I've tried, I'm never worried about the bass.
The only worry for most people is... is it too much for you?

But generally speaking, a brief chat with the product manager who visited us last month in my country - he likes to listen to live music and eterna was his favourite. So you can guess how much of a bass head he is.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #60 of 4,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of all FA stuff I've tried, I'm never worried about the bass.
The only worry for most people is... is it too much for you?

But generally speaking, a brief chat with the product manager who visited us last month in my country - he likes to listen to live music and eterna was his favourite. So you can guess how much of a bass head he is.

I would agree that their products share a similar sound signature. I can tell that these people love music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back