Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Apr 22, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #32 of 4,469

Townyj

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Posts
2,325
Likes
83
Couldnt help myself
redface.gif
purchased a pair....
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #34 of 4,469

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
7,055
Likes
261
Quote:

Originally Posted by winkyeye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey LFF, you mentioned UE-10 sometimes in your review and other times TF10. are you talking about the custom UE-10s? Thanks!


Both. They sound similar to the UE-10's and completely kill the TF10's.
normal_smile .gif
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #35 of 4,469

EraserXIV

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Posts
1,654
Likes
82
in terms of signature, would you say they are bright or warm?

also would you say they are treble or mid centric? do you detect any sibilance on high notes or "sss" syllables?
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #36 of 4,469

borrego

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Posts
1,201
Likes
287
Is there any weakness with the DBA-02? May it be fitting, cable, microphonics issues?

I have read some Russian discussions, saying of Fischer Audio being non-believer of BA drivers. They believe they can achieve same level of sound quality with dynamic drivers. The DBA-02 is a just a model they use to demonstrate their technical capability (??)

Honestly speaking I do believe in all the positive aspects you found with the DBA-02 in your review. But if FA can achieve that much with their 1st dual BA driver IEM attempt, then one should expect even more from the revised dynamic driver Eterna.
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #37 of 4,469

WhiteBear

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Posts
116
Likes
11
I had DBA-02 for a few weeks.
It is the best IEM within this price range.
Very comfortable. It sit the same way Etymotic ER6 do. But much much better.
Soft cable with no microfonic at all.
Strong body.
Nose slightly thicker than Westone, Shure, Etymotic have.
All have been said about sound. It is great. But not on par with Westone 3 or TF-10 IMHO. Sound signature is more natural than Westone 3 have. But low bass end is not comparable.
And my main disappointment was sibilant sounds I heard over and over again.
If not sibilant moments, I would rate DBA-02 next to Westone 3 ,TF-10,Sleek SA-6 and above Shure 530.
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #38 of 4,469

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
7,055
Likes
261
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in terms of signature, would you say they are bright or warm?

also would you say they are treble or mid centric? do you detect any sibilance on high notes or "sss" syllables?



See above. They really aren't either bright or warm. There is also no sibilance whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any weakness with the DBA-02? May it be fitting, cable, microphonics issues?

I have read some Russian discussions, saying of Fischer Audio being non-believer of BA drivers. They believe they can achieve same level of sound quality with dynamic drivers. The DBA-02 is a just a model they use to demonstrate their technical capability (??)

Honestly speaking I do believe in all the positive aspects you found with the DBA-02 in your review. But if FA can achieve that much with their 1st dual BA driver IEM attempt, then one should expect even more from the revised dynamic driver Eterna.



Weakness to the DBA-02? Soundwise for me - no. You can get real picky and argue that it doesn't have any memory wire near the IEM's but it does bring rubber ear guides. I found no microphonic issues either.

All in all this is a very solid product. It is shocking that it is their first dual BA driver and that it came out this good. I hope this pushes Fischer Audio to sell more of their products in the U.S.A.
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #39 of 4,469

ethan961

Member of the Trade: Bugden Audio
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Posts
1,684
Likes
23
.
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #40 of 4,469

WhiteBear

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Posts
116
Likes
11
After reading LFF review. I guess they listened to castomer complains about sibilance ,and solved that problem.
Other than that I can't see how it vanished. It was very prominent
triportsad.gif
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #41 of 4,469

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
7,055
Likes
261
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sibilance seems to depend on volumes and your source. I get sibilance with my iPod at moderately high volumes, but none with my E-MU 0404 USB.


This is very true. Keep in mind that most of the music I listen to is either from audiophile companies like DCC, MoFi and Audio Fidelity or I have remastered it myself. That is the big reason why I use the particular test tracks I posted - they are easy to find and the retail versions are mastered well.
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #42 of 4,469

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
7,055
Likes
261
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteBear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All have been said about sound. It is great. But not on par with Westone 3 or TF-10 IMHO. Sound signature is more natural than Westone 3 have. But low bass end is not comparable.


See..this is why I recommend people listen to stuff before buying it. While my DBA-02 has no sibilance whatsoever, I thought it sounded much better than the Westone 3 because of the DBA-02's natural sound signature. Natural sound is extremely difficult to find. To me the Westone 3 and TF10 have a bit too much bass to rank it above the DBA-02.

It really comes down to preference once you reach such great sounding options. In the end we all win because there are so many options when it comes down to meshing our preferences with great quality sound.
icon10.gif
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #43 of 4,469

WhiteBear

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Posts
116
Likes
11
I am spoiled with BASS I guess
L3000.gif
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #44 of 4,469

CEE TEE

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Posts
2,185
Likes
405
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See..this is why I recommend people listen to stuff before buying it. While my DBA-02 has no sibilance whatsoever, I thought it sounded much better than the Westone 3 because of the DBA-02's natural sound signature. Natural sound is extremely difficult to find. To me the Westone 3 and TF10 have a bit too much bass to rank it above the DBA-02.

It really comes down to preference once you reach such great sounding options. In the end we all win because there are so many options when it comes down to meshing our preferences with great quality sound.
icon10.gif




This was very interesting to me because I am looking for more natural and tighter low end from some iems. The PK1 are fun and full in the low end but (and they are still breaking in and unamped) I would like something cleaner down low and the DBA-02's just might be that ticket. The PK1's and MS-1i's have plenty of bass if that's what i want at a particular moment.

I wasn't a fan of the RE0's, though because I did want a fuller low end...would I be very happy with the DB-02's with that in mind?

Thanks, everyone.
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #45 of 4,469

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
10,565
Likes
206
So the signature is between W3 and UE10..thats quite interesting. I may not be able to wait until more reviews lol but don't want to wait 2 weeks from ebay :T

How's the bass impact? Would you say they are close to the W3 or something closer to an analytical iem like a ER4 or in between?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top