Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Dec 29, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #3,571 of 4,469
Quote:

Quote:
Just got my DBA-02. Previously was listening to my unamped RE0 through my iPhone 4 and iPod Classic 6G. I'm not sure if I'm getting a good seal, but I find the treble extension and clarity on the DBA-02 to be inferior to that of the RE0. The bass, mids, and soundstage are a bit better than the RE0, but so far I'm not wowed. Could this be due to the tips I'm using? I'm currently using the stock medium silicon sleeves. The small and large won't fit. Triflanges have never suited me. There are two other paris of silicon tips provided which are similar to the Sony Hybrids, but since the RE0 has shallow insertion and this a deeper insertion, the stiffness of the Hybrids don't work so well for me. I find the medium stock single flanges to be the most comfortable and having the best seal, but I'm not too sure. How do I know if I'm getting a good seal? I've heard a lot about the Comply T100s, but what characteristics do they accentuate in the earphones?

Tips + brain "burn-in". Had a similar experience but now am enjoying my DBA-02 much much more 
L3000.gif

Using the headphone out on iphone and classic really don't do the DBA-02 justice. The sound is dramatically different from that from the LOD. You should invest in a Fiio E1
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #3,573 of 4,469
I would agree to this with regards to the iPOD...but with the Cowon S9 and Sansa clip+, they sound quite good unamped

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Just got my DBA-02. Previously was listening to my unamped RE0 through my iPhone 4 and iPod Classic 6G. I'm not sure if I'm getting a good seal, but I find the treble extension and clarity on the DBA-02 to be inferior to that of the RE0. The bass, mids, and soundstage are a bit better than the RE0, but so far I'm not wowed. Could this be due to the tips I'm using? I'm currently using the stock medium silicon sleeves. The small and large won't fit. Triflanges have never suited me. There are two other paris of silicon tips provided which are similar to the Sony Hybrids, but since the RE0 has shallow insertion and this a deeper insertion, the stiffness of the Hybrids don't work so well for me. I find the medium stock single flanges to be the most comfortable and having the best seal, but I'm not too sure. How do I know if I'm getting a good seal? I've heard a lot about the Comply T100s, but what characteristics do they accentuate in the earphones?

Tips + brain "burn-in". Had a similar experience but now am enjoying my DBA-02 much much more 
L3000.gif

Using the headphone out on iphone and classic really don't do the DBA-02 justice. The sound is dramatically different from that from the LOD. You should invest in a Fiio E1
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #3,574 of 4,469
All this while I've been hearing people say the DBA sounds very good coming from an unamped iPod, and right after I get a pair people come out and say it isn't good with iPods? Lol. Anyway it sounds fine for me out of my iPhone. I've tried it with a few amps at a local headphone store, and they do sound fuller with more bass, but I'm not sacrificing portability.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #3,575 of 4,469

Quote:
All this while I've been hearing people say the DBA sounds very good coming from an unamped iPod, and right after I get a pair people come out and say it isn't good with iPods? Lol. Anyway it sounds fine for me out of my iPhone. I've tried it with a few amps at a local headphone store, and they do sound fuller with more bass, but I'm not sacrificing portability.

The DBA-02 is currently my favorite portable setup, with or without the Stepdance, because I find it to be the earphones that can run extremely decently without an amp. It does, however, gain a decent boost to its sound quality when you pair it up with a nice amp.

It seems slightly more forgiving of the amp in the iPod compared to a few earphones in the market.

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #3,576 of 4,469

Quote:

It's still pretty good with ipods. It can be improved that's all
wink.gif
Don't worry, you still made a good choice!

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #3,577 of 4,469
Dec 30, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #3,580 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

It sounds fine with iPods, but what you really want is the line-out capability; the amp is an added benefit. You never realize how bad the inbuilt amp in the iPhone/iPod is until you use the line-out.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #3,581 of 4,469
The DBA-02 sounds fine unamped out of an ipod.

Also the ipod lod doesn't completely bypass the amp or there would be no need for an imod.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #3,582 of 4,469

Quote:
The DBA-02 sounds fine unamped out of an ipod.

Also the ipod lod doesn't completely bypass the amp or there would be no need for an imod.

What is the basic difference then?  I imagine caps are a big difference.  I'm using a free Xroads LOD w/ my old beater Nano and the difference was quite noticeable.  I certainly lose volume control w/ the LOD.  You can PM if this is too OT.  

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #3,583 of 4,469

Quote:

wink.gif

x2.
I'm a serious proponent of the DBA-02, and I listen to them more with the iPod than any other way.

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #3,584 of 4,469
I actually PREFER to listen to them straight out of my iPhone hp-out.  it's adds a touch of warmth to my ears.. while amping them adds a bit of soundstage and tightens the entire frequency range.

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #3,585 of 4,469
I bought an Arrow to use with my iPhone, and I find I use the DBA-02's with iphone without the Arrow most of the time.  Then I bought an ipod touch to use with the Arrow, haven't tried it yet.  If I end up using the touch and DBA-02's without the Arrow as well, there may be an Arrow for sale...  My take is that the Fischers are a pretty nice iem that doesn't improve so much with amping.

Part of my issue with the Arrow is that the gain is too high, even on the lowest setting.  Rob is has offered to lower the gain on my Arrow, so I'll report back in while once that is complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back