Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Dec 25, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #3,556 of 4,469
Dec 25, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #3,558 of 4,469

Quote:
Thanks guys. I did the test, and while both tones were clearly audible, the 500hz was louder.

Btw, anailaxus, when you say comply tips, do you mean the T100 or T400?

Oh I'm not the one to ask.  Shane is the Comply guy.  Try a search Shane/Comply in this thread or a general Comply search.  I don't get on w/ Complys, just know to trim off the foam to preserve the treble. 

Btw, that's a new spelling.  I've seen worse.  
wink_face.gif
  Anax is cool hehe.

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #3,559 of 4,469
Anaxilus is right. Cut the overhang down to the core. Cut it flat (parallel to base), not beveled. The overhang is the foam that is on the leading end that sticks out beyond the soft plastic core.

Here's the thing. I find it works best on the P-series, not the T-100. They do fine, but once trimmed, because they are shorter, some of the isolation properties diminish.

I actually like the T-100's left uncut, but that's music and mood dependent. P-series, trimmed, 90% of listening time.

Good luck.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #3,560 of 4,469
Lol sorry Anaxilus, I'm typing this from my iPhone and head fi in particular lags pretty badly on the iPhone. It's a pain to navigate. Anyway thanks for your help.

Shane, I have no idea what you are talking about since I don't have a comply tip in front of me hehe, but I'll do what you say once I get them. I prefer not cutting anything though, and I don't mind if I lose some isolation as long as the sound isn't compromised. So will the T100 do it for me?

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #3,561 of 4,469
If l wanted to make my own foam tips , where could l source some soft tube from? l seen some pics of some guys making their own tips using a leather punching tool and normal foam isolation buds( l can get them from work ) ..............has anyone here tried that?

EDIT . l found a thread about it , and whipped some up in no time, just cutting foam plugs in half then compressing them and then sticking a toothpick through the middle to create a hole, then pull it over the nozzle on the IEM sort of sidewways to help strech the hole in the foam open and over it ......then a little twist to setlle and shape it on the nozzle and your done.
This is pretty easy and fits nicely in my ear......much more comfotable than the rubber / silcone so far :)

l'll probably still get the P Complys anyway just to compare as they're a tad longer , l don't know if that'll change anything buts its worth exploring l think

Cheers Ken

Dec 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #3,562 of 4,469
Quote:
I don't use the guides either.Over the ear, yes. Comply p-types (trimmed flat), yes.

+1 on no need for over-the-ear guides.

I'm one of those that get great sound from medium silicone tips. I prefer Shure grey "soft flex" over Fischer OEM. Triflange (or modded to biflange) Ety's and the Fischer "hybrids" didn't to it for me, but some love those.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #3,563 of 4,469

Quote:
I've got a four-connector ("TRRS") plug coming to attempt a similar repair to the set that have been modded with a MEElec mic/remote cable. That could be trickier, since I'm expecting to find enameled wires that reportedly don't solder as easily. If that doesn't work, I may just restore them to their original configuration with the Fischer cable.

The stock cable looks really durable. I think you're right about the Meelecric cable but it shouldn't be too bad if you've got a good iron and have soldered before. Set the iron  to it's top temp and hold a ball of soder on the tip, A piece of glass may help here if you have a small tip. A clean tip and getting some surface area on the solder is key. Tin the twisted ends by holding it in the solder ball for a bit to melt off some enamel as it's very thin. Then solder together as usual and give a tugg to check the integrity.

goodvibes,

Thanks for the soldering tips. I may need to PM you when I get the TRRS connector to make that repair on the MEElec cable. The "piece of glass" suggestion is clever, and not something I've heard about previously.

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #3,564 of 4,469

Quote:
Lol sorry Anaxilus, I'm typing this from my iPhone and head fi in particular lags pretty badly on the iPhone. It's a pain to navigate. Anyway thanks for your help.

Shane, I have no idea what you are talking about since I don't have a comply tip in front of me hehe, but I'll do what you say once I get them. I prefer not cutting anything though, and I don't mind if I lose some isolation as long as the sound isn't compromised. So will the T100 do it for me?

Of course I can't tell you what you'll like, but without trimming the T-100 the sound is just great. There may be a minute decrease in the upper end, but I never considered that to be a big issue with these. They have brightness to spare.
I think the sound is best with the P-type trimmed, but there is very little difference untrimmed or with the T-100's. We're splitting hairs.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #3,565 of 4,469
I got the TX-100s, large size. They sound MUCH better than any of the provided tips. One thing that bugs me is that the seller who sold it to me said the Comply tips does slightly muffle the treble, but what I'm hearing is completely opposite -- The stock tips lack clarity when it comes to the highs and upper-mids, but the Complys sound great. Weird.

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #3,566 of 4,469
This thread has really become a fascinating read.

It's amazing how much we vary. I found perfect comfort and sound with the stock medium tips and yet so many of you are using different tips to enjoy them as well. I guess it's a testament to our individuality and to our love of sound.

Happy Listening!

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #3,567 of 4,469

Quote:
This thread has really become a fascinating read.

It's amazing how much we vary. I found perfect comfort and sound with the stock medium tips and yet so many of you are using different tips to enjoy them as well. I guess it's a testament to our individuality and to our love of sound.

Happy Listening!

It only makes sense honestly from an anatomical viewpoint.  Especially with small nozzled, angled and deeper inserting IEMs.  A lot of people can agree on something like Meelec tips for big barreled dynamics since their relative position changes little user to user.  DBA's are probably some of the trickiest I imagine.  While Etys and Klipschs can be inserted deep they are straight.  Shures, Westones and Earsonics are angled but not deep insertion.  DBA's do both thus the number of variables involved for fit and seal are greater. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #3,568 of 4,469
I agree, DBA can be inserted very deep. SO deep as it leaves a very small "accoustic room" between the end of the comply and the ear drums. This way you get more pressure and the result is obvious for the bass. Also sound tends to lose quickly its properties going through air, which is not the case here, so maybe it helps with clarity and soundstage too. For a while i was affraid of getting used to the DBA's recessed bass as we can get accustomed to many things over a period of time and "settling" for it. But i changed my mind after getting the complys....best improvement i got in audio world for such a small price. I tried to compare it to the soundmagic pl 30 on the bass side with the "deep bass" setting. It's true it's stronger but it lacks details, and it's obvously distorted with this setting. I still use the pl 30 for my running since i don't focus on the detail while running and just pay attention to the beat, plus I don't want to "endanger" my precious dba during these sessions.
      question: how do you clean complys? is it bad for the memory foam to be washed underwater? thanks?

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #3,569 of 4,469
I finally got the Ibasso Mamba D4!! Wow!! what a beautiful sound i get from this match.
Like removing a layer of veil,  if that makes sense. More pronounced and tighter bass,  more defined ambiance clues, improved headstage location and more "air" around the instruments.
Vocals, oh my!! so smooth....
beyersmile.png
really DBA-02 on another dimension.
Now, counting the days until I get UM The Miracle!! Life is good!!
regards, Jose

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #3,570 of 4,469

Quote:
Just got my DBA-02. Previously was listening to my unamped RE0 through my iPhone 4 and iPod Classic 6G. I'm not sure if I'm getting a good seal, but I find the treble extension and clarity on the DBA-02 to be inferior to that of the RE0. The bass, mids, and soundstage are a bit better than the RE0, but so far I'm not wowed. Could this be due to the tips I'm using? I'm currently using the stock medium silicon sleeves. The small and large won't fit. Triflanges have never suited me. There are two other paris of silicon tips provided which are similar to the Sony Hybrids, but since the RE0 has shallow insertion and this a deeper insertion, the stiffness of the Hybrids don't work so well for me. I find the medium stock single flanges to be the most comfortable and having the best seal, but I'm not too sure. How do I know if I'm getting a good seal? I've heard a lot about the Comply T100s, but what characteristics do they accentuate in the earphones?

Tips + brain "burn-in". Had a similar experience but now am enjoying my DBA-02 much much more 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back