Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Dec 30, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #3,586 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:
The DBA-02 sounds fine unamped out of an ipod.

Also the ipod lod doesn't completely bypass the amp or there would be no need for an imod.

What is the basic difference then?  I imagine caps are a big difference.  I'm using a free Xroads LOD w/ my old beater Nano and the difference was quite noticeable.  I certainly lose volume control w/ the LOD.  You can PM if this is too OT.  

Line amp is still there but the output amp stage is bypassed. The output amp degrades things a bit.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #3,588 of 4,469

OK I tried the test again, this time with the Comply TX-100, and the mids (500hz) still sound louder than the 50hz tone.

I tried it with my PC speakers, and both could be said to be of equal volume, although the bass sounds cleaner on my DBA-02/Complys. I have to dial my bass knob down to about 60% on my speakers to replicate what I'm hearing with the earphones.

Is my seal still not good enough or is it that the DBA does not create as much quantity in bass.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How do I know if I'm getting a good seal?

Try this: Audio seal test

The only time that doesn't work is when you realize you are listening to something that doesn't isolate very well.  The in ear tug and suck is definitely one of the best.  

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #3,589 of 4,469
Quantity-wise, DBA-02 definitely don't have it big. However, when it comes to the bass, DBA-02's extension is really what is impressive.

I just do the finger-rub test to see if I got the right seal... so, I can't say if you got the right seal or not.

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #3,591 of 4,469
Basically I rub my fingers near my ears to see if I can hear them at all. Maybe not the most appropriate test since I rarely have any problems with seals in general.

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #3,593 of 4,469

Haha I've never heard of that before.

The Complys do seal and isolate much better than any of the stock tips though. I can hear the bass, but the quantity isn't there. I don't really mind it as it is but a little more bass would be nice, so I'm asking anyone who has taken the above test if both 500hz and 50hz tones sound equally loud. If I'm not getting the right seal then I'll keep trying until I get it right, but if everyone else is hearing the same as I do then I'll be content.

Quote:
Basically I rub my fingers near my ears to see if I can hear them at all. Maybe not the most appropriate test since I rarely have any problems with seals in general.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #3,594 of 4,469

Quote:
I want to buy some so very badly. Where are these available?!

I got mine from Treoo.com - They're still in stock and the shipping is excellent, they just cost a tiny bit more than from a few other places, problem is that the other places are either out of stock, don't know themselves or take forever to ship
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #3,595 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:

I got mine from Treoo.com - They're still in stock and the shipping is excellent, they just cost a tiny bit more than from a few other places, problem is that the other places are either out of stock, don't know themselves or take forever to ship
biggrin.gif

I would go for it, but it's not worth the jump in price... I'll keep an eye out there though, in case they go on sale. (Highly doubtful)

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #3,596 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I would go for it, but it's not worth the jump in price... I'll keep an eye out there though, in case they go on sale. (Highly doubtful)

Yea I managed to get mine during the 24 hour deal thing they do every 7 days - Ended up cheaper than anywhere else even with the fastest DHL shipping
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #3,597 of 4,469

Quote:
Quantity-wise, DBA-02 definitely don't have it big. However, when it comes to the bass, DBA-02's extension is really what is impressive.

I just do the finger-rub test to see if I got the right seal... so, I can't say if you got the right seal or not.

Seriously? I found the bass extension to be the biggest fault in the DBA-02. It not as good as some other universals I've had and quite good at the mid $100 price but definitely not impressive by any means imo.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #3,598 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:

Seriously? I found the bass extension to be the biggest fault in the DBA-02. It not as good as some other universals I've had and quite good at the mid $100 price but definitely not impressive by any means imo.

True, I was referring to only its lower spectrum when I was saying that line. I mean, it isn't THE advantage when it comes to the entire spectrum clearly. But if you want to talk about quantity vs quality, then I do think DBA-02 has the quality bit down a lot better than the quantity bit. As you said, it is quite good at the mid $100 price.

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #3,600 of 4,469
I remembered that my old senns (CX-300) that were my first IEMS had the prefect fit for me, i loved them for the fit (with the smallest tips) but loathed them for the bloated sound. Those tips didn't fit the DBA-02's nozzle without a bit of DIY hassle..

Anyway, results; better fit but the sound got worse! Going back to the smallest tips included with the DBA's is a much more pleasent experience. Not the best fit but damn....I love how they sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back