Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jan 3, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #3,601 of 4,469
Quote:
The Complys do seal and isolate much better than any of the stock tips though. I can hear the bass, but the quantity isn't there. I don't really mind it as it is but a little more bass would be nice, so I'm asking anyone who has taken the above test if both 500hz and 50hz tones sound equally loud. If I'm not getting the right seal then I'll keep trying until I get it right, but if everyone else is hearing the same as I do then I'll be content.

I'm getting equally loud 50Hz and 500Hz tones in the Sensaphonics seal test from DBA's with Shure grey soft flex silicone tips.

I'd consider the bass quality and extension better than any of the other IEMs in my meager current selection. (The NE-7M's have an overabundance of bass, but its lower quality, and the Hippo VB bass was excellent quality but too prominent for my tastes.) With the DBA's, there are a few tracks in my selection that could be considered to have too much bass, most tracks feel very well-balanced, and a few tracks are bass-light. From that I conclude (like other DBA fanboys who've achieved seal and fit nirvana) that they're putting out just what was intended in the mix, and it feels well-balanced with the rest of the spectrum.

There's a Rolling Stone track going right now for me ("Moon Is Up" from "Voodoo Lounge") with a strong but balanced bass line. Now here's Stevie Ray Vaughan with "Crossfire" - no bass complaints there, either.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #3,602 of 4,469
New year start bad for me....since today my right earphone has problems...i get less volume and also for some bass-mid range the sound is crackled...I don't see how my drivers could be damaged, didn't play with them....does that mean one of the cables is kinda disconnected and doesn't "fuel" one of the two drivers correctly? Is this covered by the default insurance?....Plus i think I lost all of my purchase papers....god that sucks....If it's cable related, does someone propose cabling alternatives (sturdier too )

thanks....and happy new year to the lucky owners of functionning DBA 02

it's definitely the bass....listening to electro makes it obvious, the bass you hear on cheap earphones with  this saturated drivers sound...I hope it's just the cable not supplying power...are the drivers coved by the insurance?

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #3,603 of 4,469

Quote:
New year start bad for me....since today my right earphone has problems...i get less volume and also for some bass-mid range the sound is crackled...I don't see how my drivers could be damaged, didn't play with them....does that mean one of the cables is kinda disconnected and doesn't "fuel" one of the two drivers correctly? Is this covered by the default insurance?....Plus i think I lost all of my purchase papers....god that sucks....If it's cable related, does someone propose cabling alternatives (sturdier too )

it's definitely the bass....listening to electro makes it obvious, the bass you hear on cheap earphones with  this saturated drivers sound...I hope it's just the cable not supplying power...are the drivers coved by the insurance?

Well don't they come with a years manufacturer guarantee that pretty much covers everything? I'd email Fischer to be honest if you've not had them long, if you've not tampered with them etc then I don't see why they wouldn't send you another pair
rolleyes.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #3,604 of 4,469
Makes sense, I just hope someone didnt throw away my fisher's box with all the sheets...i guess I'd still need them...but i will ask them. I'd expect the cables not to be covered nonetheless as it's always the case I think. tsssh just before my ski vacations well I will do back to my pl 30 :s

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #3,605 of 4,469
Well I'm not familiar with the customer service from Fischer but if they're helpful then I'm sure they'll be lenient
wink.gif

If not then I guess you could contact the place you purchased them from, I'll check the guarantee sheet from my box when I get home and let you know what it says (cables,drivers etc.)
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #3,606 of 4,469
Anyone notice harsh sounds in the highs in their DBA-02s. I have been noticing something almost similar to crackle, it's hard to explain. Lately I have been setting my DBA-02s to my bass preset(Bass +4dba, Treble -4dba, eq:Bass) and when I turn it off and listen to a song with highs I get this odd sound. Anyone experience this ? Or is it just me ? Have I damaged my DBA-02s by forcing this bass preset ?

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #3,607 of 4,469

Quote:
OK I tried the test again, this time with the Comply TX-100, and the mids (500hz) still sound louder than the 50hz tone.

I tried it with my PC speakers, and both could be said to be of equal volume, although the bass sounds cleaner on my DBA-02/Complys. I have to dial my bass knob down to about 60% on my speakers to replicate what I'm hearing with the earphones.

Is my seal still not good enough or is it that the DBA does not create as much quantity in bass.
Quote:
The only time that doesn't work is when you realize you are listening to something that doesn't isolate very well.  The in ear tug and suck is definitely one of the best.  

Not sure if it's fit or music track.  Some songs can sound lighter in bass than I might be used to then I hear something like Lisa Lisa or Rush and the Bass just pumps and hits.  Oddly enough I used my DBA's for a hearing test and it did very well in the lows.  I'm not sure if I'm more accute in low end hearing or reacting to the air movement but I seem to be really sensitive to low freqs on all my phones.  I've even got half decent bass from the ER4S but never from the RE0.  Go figure.

Quote:
Anyone notice harsh sounds in the highs in their DBA-02s. I have been noticing something almost similar to crackle, it's hard to explain. Lately I have been setting my DBA-02s to my bass preset(Bass +4dba, Treble -4dba, eq:Bass) and when I turn it off and listen to a song with highs I get this odd sound. Anyone experience this ? Or is it just me ? Have I damaged my DBA-02s by forcing this bass preset ?

No idea but I've never gotten crackle in the high end.  Maybe you are overdriving the driver I dunno.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #3,608 of 4,469
Hi. i have a similar problem with my right earphone. At times the sound gets muffled or recessed but sometimes they're ok. Has been like this for the past 2 months. What's baffling is sometimes when I start using them, the (R) earphone is muffled at first but after a few mins they're ok again. I actually was able to clean the inner filters so no problem with that. Still cant figure out what's wrong thoug

Quote:

Quote:

Well don't they come with a years manufacturer guarantee that pretty much covers everything? I'd email Fischer to be honest if you've not had them long, if you've not tampered with them etc then I don't see why they wouldn't send you another pair
rolleyes.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #3,609 of 4,469
I contacted the custommer service yesterday, i got an answer really quick, seems like it would be ok, just need to contact ethan who should give me proof of my purchase then get back to them. It's nice to see that they don't rely on their quality ( especially at this price mark) solely and that they care for their customers. I wish I knew how it happened though as I don't want to be seperated from my DBA ever again, now I will loook like a junkie dying for his fix...I guess I'll bring my HD 650 to this internet cafe and look like a freak :s

edit: somehow the situation is a bit better now...but still not litsenable really....could it be something got past the filter??? I don't know how plus I have the one with metallic grid...how do you clean it exactly? It's just too deep and I don't want to damage the drivers :s

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #3,610 of 4,469
Well I was only referring to the seal test in the link. Don't get me wrong, I get some thumping bass from these, I can FEEL the bass, and I'm perfectly content with the current bass I'm getting. I'm just wondering if they produce more bass than I'm hearing due to a bad fit. So far I'm loving them.

Btw these have a lot more bass than my unamped RE0.

Quote:
Quote:
OK I tried the test again, this time with the Comply TX-100, and the mids (500hz) still sound louder than the 50hz tone.

I tried it with my PC speakers, and both could be said to be of equal volume, although the bass sounds cleaner on my DBA-02/Complys. I have to dial my bass knob down to about 60% on my speakers to replicate what I'm hearing with the earphones.

Is my seal still not good enough or is it that the DBA does not create as much quantity in bass.
Quote:
The only time that doesn't work is when you realize you are listening to something that doesn't isolate very well.  The in ear tug and suck is definitely one of the best.  

Not sure if it's fit or music track.  Some songs can sound lighter in bass than I might be used to then I hear something like Lisa Lisa or Rush and the Bass just pumps and hits.  Oddly enough I used my DBA's for a hearing test and it did very well in the lows.  I'm not sure if I'm more accute in low end hearing or reacting to the air movement but I seem to be really sensitive to low freqs on all my phones.  I've even got half decent bass from the ER4S but never from the RE0.  Go figure.

Also nice to hear Fischer Audio has good customer service.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #3,611 of 4,469
The metallic looking grid is actually not made of metal. It's a thin wafer of plasticky material. You can use a thin sharp instrument (I used a dental probe) to hook on the metal casing encasing the filter and gently pull it out. Don't worry about the drivers...they're situated way within the housing and don't extent into the nozzle

Quote:
I contacted the custommer service yesterday, i got an answer really quick, seems like it would be ok, just need to contact ethan who should give me proof of my purchase then get back to them. It's nice to see that they don't rely on their quality ( especially at this price mark) solely and that they care for their customers. I wish I knew how it happened though as I don't want to be seperated from my DBA ever again, now I will loook like a junkie dying for his fix...I guess I'll bring my HD 650 to this internet cafe and look like a freak :s

edit: somehow the situation is a bit better now...but still not litsenable really....could it be something got past the filter??? I don't know how plus I have the one with metallic grid...how do you clean it exactly? It's just too deep and I don't want to damage the drivers :s

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #3,612 of 4,469
Thanks, I didn't want to be a pionner in this cleansing business.....now what do I use to do that...nothing comes to mind for now, I'm not sure what a dental probe is...a perfectionned toothpick? :)

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #3,613 of 4,469
so despite being relatively unimpressed the first time I heard them (cf. my post in the e-q5 impressions thread) I went back to try them on a few times in store... am pretty sure they got tired of seeing me step out and in. The more I listened to them the more they grew on me: and there would always be times when I would find myself tapping my feet to the music, utterly blown away by their speed and clarity.

to cut a long story short, I took a leap of faith and bought them! Even out of the box, I'm really enjoying the level of detail in the highs and mids that the DBAs provide. So count me in as another relatively satisfied DBA-02 user. 

One thing bugs me, though - I get a pretty good seal with the stock black silicone single-flanges, so I can hear a fair bit of bass, but I'm wondering if there are any other quick-fix tips to achieve that Perfect fit? After a quick read of the last few pages I've tried using Comply T100s but they don't seem to work great for me. Any other way to ensure that I'm getting the fullest possible bass out of these?

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #3,614 of 4,469
If you can handle deep insertion something like the Shure triple flanges worked great for me. Some others use the Klipsch oval tips

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #3,615 of 4,469
Thanks, I'll try the Klipsch gels if I can (can't take triple flanges!), between the Complys and the stock silicone tips I'm getting what one might call 'normal BA bass' and nothing more. Maybe shouldn't have expected more to begin with.

(Would the CK90Pro or the e-Q5 be a better complement, if I were looking for better bass quantity / extension?)

Nonetheless, the rest of the frequency spectrum is pretty impressive. Off to enjoy... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back