Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
May 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #331 of 4,469
Oh one of those eh. If I ever do another review I'll add in a KLS edit then :) Something like no extension anywhere, no bass,treble or mids haha

Although all indications is that it should compete with CK10 and if it does I'll be satisfied. I like good quality at cheap price which is what the CK10 is in my book.

May 9, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #332 of 4,469
@ Ethan961.........Give the copperse time, try lot's of tips. They can be really tough to get in your canals just right. They also seem to take quite a while to burn in to the final sound. I can't say they'll ever top the DBA's, since I already know one person that has sold his coppers after owning the DBA's for a week.

I'm closer to rawrster in many ways as far as the DBA's are concerned. I simply want it to compete withe the likes of CK10, and the Orto eq7, otherwise, I'll be a bit letdown. This purchase is all about bang for buck. Something I love to find. I'm so tempted to try the entire top two lines from Fischer.  A full size open headphone for 179 dollars is a steal, if they are comfortable, and sound above the price. Will you eventually be carrying more of the line Ethan?

May 9, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #333 of 4,469
Quote:
i wonder if T100 is the perfect match so the shure olive would fit right, as i know T100 can be use with shure SExxx

Olive's inner dimention is a little smaller as it is designed to stretch a little bit, but I won't gmable it on DBA-02 because of the horror stoies on how people crack the nozzle when trying to remove it.

Quote:
on russian forums some people think they are too bright and sibilant at times. i had to say this 'cos i've red this. some people. but they are strange in russia and think that sa6 with impedance adapter is the best universal iem.

It is quite analytical, but not sibilant to my ear.

May 9, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #334 of 4,469
Man, I'm about to email fischer audio to give them a bit more incentive for their American market :p These sounds like they would at least be better than my HJE900s, though adifferent sound signature also. The only thing thats making me doubt buying these as my next audio pruchase is that I want to have something with a strong sub-bass and impact. THe HJE900s definitely have it(more than my full-size cans, lol), but I'd like more linear bass that extends further. That's what makes me want to consider the Coppers instead of the DBAs. But Grrrr so tempting.

May 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #335 of 4,469
It is the other way around, you should sent email to some of the larger headphone seller (i.e. some of the sponsor here) and ask them to carry FA products. For what I know, FA has been looking for international distributor for a while now but not that many have showed interest.

May 9, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #336 of 4,469

May 9, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #337 of 4,469
@ClieOS: So I guess for alternative tips silicon tips from Shure, Westone, Etymotic would work best since they can be stretched to fit without having a core like the olives? That's a bit disappointing since olives were by far my favorite tip when I still had earphones that nozzle size. Although they being analytical is a good sign for me since that's my preference.

@Ethan: That's good to hear. I may eventually get the newer eterna once ClieOS posts a review on those :) Hopefully the package from FA comes soon so I can try these out. Waiting definitely isn't my strong suit for things like this.

May 9, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #338 of 4,469
Quote:
@ClieOS: So I guess for alternative tips silicon tips from Shure, Westone, Etymotic would work best since they can be stretched to fit without having a core like the olives? That's a bit disappointing since olives were by far my favorite tip when I still had earphones that nozzle size. Although they being analytical is a good sign for me since that's my preference.

Yes, they should all fit well. Olive can be forced to fit as well, but removing them off with be a bit more challenging

Quote:
Well, I started a business with them and I've got North America rights at the moment. Stock problems have been mostly on their side, nothing being big could help. They are helping me expand capacity and are sending me as much stock as I request. They're doing all they can to expand, and for a small company like them they're doing fairly well. They are planning to sponsor here. They are planning to keep me as their main distributor for North America, and as such they are working to expand. They just need to get stock. @search, I will be carrying everything worth stocking, and that includes all of their top lines and most of their medium lines.

Congrats. I remember when my FA review started, you can't even find FA on eBay. They certainly have gone a long way.

May 9, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #339 of 4,469
Nice little comparison review Weibby.

I think maybe the DBA is the way to go for my brother. He loves music, and enjoys great sound quality, but is a little less concerned with the sound being transparent, or having no color. I would say that he is the type that wants to listen to music and be 'moved' by what he is hearing instead of analyze it, and by the looks of it the CK10 seem to be more analytical.

Any comparison between instrument separation and sound stage depth?  I would also be curious to know if you had better luck with comfort and fit with either of these over the other.

May 10, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #340 of 4,469
Are the DBA-02 nozzles so fragile that removing the Olives might break them? That's a little disappointing, since they are supposed to be some of the more comfortable tips...also makes me worry about the durability overall of the IEM...I'm not planning to drop them or anything, but accidents happen...

May 10, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #341 of 4,469
Ck10 can be quite a tough to use though small profile and extremely comfortable.
Sometimes the tips can get stuck in your ear if your lop sized ear canals because they have no groove at the nozzle.
Other than that they're okay and quite comfortable.

DBA is a very intuitive design and fit.
Put it over the ear, and slot it in and it flushes with the ear.
The cable and ear bud is extremely light, so you don't feel like you're even having anything on.
Pop it in and you're inside the music immediately no microphonics at all.

Instrumental separation, CK10 trumps, no contest, crystal clear. DBA slight haze with the lows but not to the point where it becomes blurred.
Sound stage and depth - DBA trumps because the lines are blurred btwn the two channel, which is what I like very much, forget that you're listening to IEMS/Speakers/Cans and just listen to music, and the music is all around outside your head.
CK10 you'd still know its a IEM playing and you know which direction it comes from and its somewhat slightly outside the head kinda feel.

If you like the sound presentation to be frontal then you won't like the DBA, if you like the multichannel SACD feel then DBA is what you want.
So if you like to analyze instruments and pick out every little detail, CK10
If you want to enjoy the music and get the vibe, then DBA.

Both has its strengths and both extremely worth while for the money paid - depending on your budget.

May 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #342 of 4,469
Quote:
Are the DBA-02 nozzles so fragile that removing the Olives might break them? That's a little disappointing, since they are supposed to be some of the more comfortable tips...also makes me worry about the durability overall of the IEM...I'm not planning to drop them or anything, but accidents happen...

You read my post the wrong way. If you do a search, you will know there are many reported case on people breaking SE530's nozzle when trying to remove an overly tight olive, and that is on Shure's own IEM. Olive is a great foam tip and I use it on almost every IEM I can fit it on, and I do mod it usually to get an optimum fit and maintain it with great care - however, I assume most non-power user out there will not have the knowledge, patient nor care thus I do know want to recommend something that can be potentially risky. It is the user that I worry about, not the IEM. If you are confident about your skill however, be my guest to try it out on DBA-02. As far as build quality is concerned, I don't find DBA-02 to be lacking compared to any other similarly priced IEM in the market

May 10, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #343 of 4,469
^^^^  I agree, The olive can be very tough to get off even shure's phones. you must be patient and gentle taking them off, the brute force method often results in a broken nozzle. Just reiterating Tai's point, he wasn't demeaning the Fischer Audio build quality at all.

May 10, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #344 of 4,469
Ah, I see what you're saying...yeah, I fall into that impatient, somewhat careless group, so probably not the best idea. I guess I'll have to try the other tips mentioned, there has to be something of similar comfort and isolation...thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated!

May 10, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #345 of 4,469
There have been a lot of threads about the olives and the SE530 nozzle breaking off or having some serious issues removing it. I've never had any issues with removing the olives from any of the smaller nozzle sizes but I guess the SE line is a bit different. The olives do sit tightly on the nozzle since the inner core diameter gets smaller as it goes up if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back