REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Sep 25, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #2,041 of 2,116
  FA-011 + tubes = bliss.

I wouldn't mind experiencing this.  Send me some "tubes" 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #2,043 of 2,116
Anyone has experience both with the latest iteration of FA-011 versus the previous verion which allegedly has QC issues ? As I remember it, my Fa-011 was very hard to drive and even when pushed hard sound somewhat muffled and burred. It does have a promising fun factor and openess, and I wonder if the latest version has addressed previous shortcomings.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #2,044 of 2,116
  Anyone has experience both with the latest iteration of FA-011 versus the previous verion which allegedly has QC issues ? As I remember it, my Fa-011 was very hard to drive and even when pushed hard sound somewhat muffled and burred. It does have a promising fun factor and openess, and I wonder if the latest version has addressed previous shortcomings.

Not to brag but I'm one of the few here that own a first batch FA-011 and had other 011's variations in possession for modding and comparison. 

The best FA-011 batch was the very first ones, dark burgundy red housing, coiled cables etc. I'll list in order of the 4 variations I've had:

First batch (start of this thread before November 2011 units), dark burgundy red almost black in colour finish, coiled cable, balanced drive. Varying sound and build quality (mainly due to the non coin sized cut out in the foam).

Second batch, very very dark/black colour, straight cable, harder to drive but would distort, some driver issues and major QC issue to overall finish.

Third batch, gone back to dark burgundy but straight cable still, had the same issues as the second batch, earpad quality was of lesser quality compared to previous two batches.

Fourth batch, dark red burgundy and new natural wood colour units, coiled cable, bit hazy treble compared to the first batch but nonetheless very good, new FA logo badges made out of metal rather than brass like old units, I've only seen natural wood units come with the new badge.

Fifth batch, dark red burgundy discontinued? Natural wood colour units in full production, sound very close to original, improved QC, using new badges.

-----

FA-011 Limited Edition announced from March 2013, pre-order April - June. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #2,045 of 2,116

Not to brag but I'm one of the few here that own a first batch FA-011 and had other 011's variations in possession for modding and comparison.

The best FA-011 batch was the very first ones, dark burgundy red housing, coiled cables etc. I'll list in order of the 4 variations I've had:

First batch (start of this thread before November 2011 units), dark burgundy red almost black in colour finish, coiled cable, balanced drive. Varying sound and build quality (mainly due to the non coin sized cut out in the foam).

Second batch, very very dark/black colour, straight cable, harder to drive but would distort, some driver issues and major QC issue to overall finish.

Third batch, gone back to dark burgundy but straight cable still, had the same issues as the second batch, earpad quality was of lesser quality compared to previous two batches.

Fourth batch, dark red burgundy and new natural wood colour units, coiled cable, bit hazy treble compared to the first batch but nonetheless very good, new FA logo badges made out of metal rather than brass like old units, I've only seen natural wood units come with the new badge.

Fifth batch, dark red burgundy discontinued? Natural wood colour units in full production, sound very close to original, improved QC, using new badges.

-----

So according to this I have the 2nd batch.  Are the drivers actually different from the first batch? Or do you attribute the differences to the cable, or something else.

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #2,046 of 2,116

-----

Thanks for reply. It is nice to know they improved with the 5th version. May I know if you find this latest version hard to drive and how it performs at low volume, as it is definitely an issue with my previous version.

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #2,047 of 2,116

So according to this I have the 2nd batch.  Are the drivers actually different from the first batch? Or do you attribute the differences to the cable, or something else.

IME drivers have all been the same, it's just been bad QC issues with these units, the 2nd pair after the first batch that I purchased didn't even have filter resistors soldered to the driver.

Thanks for reply. It is nice to know they improved with the 5th version. May I know if you find this latest version hard to drive and how it performs at low volume, as it is definitely an issue with my previous version.

Do note from my post that I've only had 4 versions of the 011's in my hands, I haven't heard the 5th batch but a few other experienced posters said that it is about on par with the original first batch again but in natural wood color only (I could be wrong again as Red Burgundy is no longer seen anywhere).

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #2,049 of 2,116
Modded Dv 336se with 6as7gtb GE HP make 1960's and RCA 6sn7 coin base tall ladder. Sublime sounding. I did have them off a 1970's JVC integrated that made the 011's so enjoyable that some sound aspects were on par with my LCD2's.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2,050 of 2,116

I can't really compare to other amp setups, but I am using Fiio e17/e09k with mine and it definitely helped control the highs and deliver the bass.  I won't listen to FA-011's from anything else, I'll grab a different set of cans first.

Why do you assume Airforce... because he has headphones and headphone stand while "deployed" 
tongue.gif

Nope, I spotted the tiger stripe cammies in the background. Thanks for the amp suggestion.   =)
The main reason that I want to stay away from tube amps is because I just don't want to deal with them burning out and replacing them.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #2,053 of 2,116
That's the plan, but not just for this one can... I eventually want a Phonitor. In the meantime, I have a nice amp, but SS accentuates the weaknesses of the FA-011s. I get a lot of sibilance, and every bad recording shows. All my other headphones are more forgiving and much more comforatable. I decided to stick with the Hifiman velour pad mod for comfort and the mellowed sound. I personally have to work to make the FA-011 sound their best. At that point, it's no longer worth it since I rarely find wanting to make time to listen to them anymore.

Since the FA-011 is not my end game... i do not plan to cater all of my gear towards it. The tube buffer works well to add flexiblity to the chain so the times I do want to listen to my FA-011 it doesn't hurt my ears from sibilance.

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,054 of 2,116

-----

Was just browsing and could not resist asking. It seems I have one from a batch you did not list which leaves me wondering. They are natural wood color, straight cable with the old brass logo. Any idea what batch these came from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back