REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Jun 8, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #1,771 of 2,116
Just got my pair. Initial impressions are:

Build Quality isn't that great, one of the metal bits on the side of the headphones with Fischer Audio on it, came off. As in, when I opened the case, it was already off . Also the back of said metal piece looks like it has some sort of green paint or rust

Comfort - These cans are tight, very tight, to the point I have a headache and my neck hurts. It looks to me that for you to not have any pressure on your head from these cans your head would need to be about 10cm wide. I've got an earring on my earlobe on one of my ears and whilst my old headset (creative fatality) pushed the earring back, these cans push the earring back so far that it is digging into my neck making it impossible to listen to them without taking my earring off. I'm hoping that in future it will become loose. I'll probably have to find a box that's as wide or wider than my head and then leave the headset on the box for a few nights.

Sound Quality – I've compared these headsets without an amp on my iPhone 4, on my pc without a soundcard and with an Asus Xonar DG. The difference between a soundcard and without is pretty big. But I may have to invest in an amp. The sound quality is definitely better than the fatality, its not lacking in the bass and seems to play everything quite well. I've yet to listen to it with a low bit rate track.

I'll report back once I've had this to play with a few more hours. But so far not exactly living up to the hype

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,772 of 2,116
So I've read who knows how many pages out of this thread (tried to read most of the recent posts) but I'm still a bit fuzzy on a few things. First of all it sounds like the FA-011s shipped late last year into early this year were part of a 'bad batch'. Can anyone confirm whether or not this has been resolved? Do the current versions match the quality of the original run? I find hokxj's above post a bit concerning since I was planning to order a pair as soon as they are back in stock at frogbeats, but if recent batches are still having serious quality issues I may hold off.

Also - how long is the cable on these? I see that frogbeats advertises a 1.2m cable, GD Audiobase advertises a 2.5m cable w/ 3.2m extension, and Noisy Motel advertises a 3.2m cable. Does each vendor get a slightly different product or what's going on there?

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #1,773 of 2,116
Quote:
So I've read who knows how many pages out of this thread (tried to read most of the recent posts) but I'm still a bit fuzzy on a few things. First of all it sounds like the FA-011s shipped late last year into early this year were part of a 'bad batch'. Can anyone confirm whether or not this has been resolved? Do the current versions match the quality of the original run? I find hokxj's above post a bit concerning since I was planning to order a pair as soon as they are back in stock at frogbeats, but if recent batches are still having serious quality issues I may hold off.

Also - how long is the cable on these? I see that frogbeats advertises a 1.2m cable, GD Audiobase advertises a 2.5m cable w/ 3.2m extension, and Noisy Motel advertises a 3.2m cable. Does each vendor get a slightly different product or what's going on there?

What constitutes a "bad batch" can? I got mine early this year and I think they sound excellent. Unfortunately the bass was a tad too strong for my gaming, so I ended up deciding to get a different pair with a more flat signature. I do recall hearing about some issues with the first run of the straight cord, as well as with a few of the early black cups too. I just don't remember any specifics on the issues.

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #1,774 of 2,116
Quote:
What constitutes a "bad batch" can? I got mine early this year and I think they sound excellent. Unfortunately the bass was a tad too strong for my gaming, so I ended up deciding to get a different pair with a more flat signature. I do recall hearing about some issues with the first run of the straight cord, as well as with a few of the early black cups too. I just don't remember any specifics on the issues.

I just know over the past day or two I've read some people complaining of the headphones just sounding terrible in general (some of which were apparently fixed by just disassembling/reassembling), some complaining of too much bass, harsh highs, etc. Or as hokxj mentioned in his post the name tag was falling off and the clamping force is real tight (which I understand can be 'fixed'). Didn't know if anyone had received a pair from a recent build and could comment on the sound/quality.

Then again by the time frogbeats gets more in stock it will probably be another new/different build and the quality may have changed again. I guess I'm just extremely hesitant to buy a pair when the production quality seems to be so inconsistent... but from everything I've read these cans outperform many others in the same price range so we'll see... might just bite the bullet and order when I get the chance.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #1,775 of 2,116
On eBay right now, there are some used dark red FA-011 for sale, seller is elaseter.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,776 of 2,116
I just know over the past day or two I've read some people complaining of the headphones just sounding terrible in general (some of which were apparently fixed by just disassembling/reassembling), some complaining of too much bass, harsh highs, etc. Or as hokxj mentioned in his post the name tag was falling off and the clamping force is real tight (which I understand can be 'fixed'). Didn't know if anyone had received a pair from a recent build and could comment on the sound/quality.

Then again by the time frogbeats gets more in stock it will probably be another new/different build and the quality may have changed again. I guess I'm just extremely hesitant to buy a pair when the production quality seems to be so inconsistent... but from everything I've read these cans outperform many others in the same price range so we'll see... might just bite the bullet and order when I get the chance.

I fixed mine by completely (as in totally) disassembling and reassembling them, and now they sound fine. They're still a little bassy for my taste, but they aren't fatally muffled and the bass doesn't bleed completely into the mids anymore. It was fun, I enjoy that kind of thing, but most people would have tried to return them (good luck) or thrown them in the trash. These are sold as a complete headphone, not a kit. We shouldn't have to possess soldering and technical skills to enjoy a supposedly finished product. :rolleyes:

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #1,777 of 2,116
Just got a pair (hang around in the classified section if you're looking) and they sound ace! Nicely bassy, treble's pretty unbearable on really badly mastered songs but it's not much of an issue. They're comfortable, not clamping too tight and with (what I assume is) velour pads which don't get as hot as leather and are big enough to fully enclose my ears. This and the FA-003 clone will sort my collection for a while, methinks.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,780 of 2,116
Just got my pair from Noisy Motel.
Haven't started using it though already opened.

But just to check, is it normal for the Fischer Audio metal piece on the cans to have scratches and have uneven colour tones?
And the natural wood is not supposed to be lacquered or anything right?

But so long it sounds good, the scratches doesn't matter.

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #1,781 of 2,116
Quote:
Just got my pair from Noisy Motel.
Haven't started using it though already opened.

But just to check, is it normal for the Fischer Audio metal piece on the cans to have scratches and have uneven colour tones?
And the natural wood is not supposed to be lacquered or anything right?

But so long it sounds good, the scratches doesn't matter.

Hi Harry,

Yes, some of the nameplates do come with scuff marks (it's an issue Fischer Audio are addressing).  It's brass, you can try and use some brass polish to remove the scratches.

Yes, there is stain/lacquer applied to preserve and protect the wood finish.

Regards,
Billy

Jun 14, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #1,782 of 2,116
Quote:

Hi Harry,

Yes, some of the nameplates do come with scuff marks (it's an issue Fischer Audio are addressing).  It's brass, you can try and use some brass polish to remove the scratches.

Yes, there is stain/lacquer applied to preserve and protect the wood finish.

Regards,
Billy

I see.
Thanks for the reply Billy. 
L3000.gif

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #1,785 of 2,116
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=406937372675049&set=a.304854986216622.64245.298324930202961

[size=11.199999809265137px]"Dear Fischer Audio Fans, We would like to inform that current version of FA-011 will be upgrade and very soon we can represent the new one. Any current user who have some claims about defectiveness of fa-011, pls write to distribution@fischeraudio.[/size][size=11.199999809265137px][/size][size=11.199999809265137px]com with remark "Fa-011 RMA" and please do let us know what are the damage issues."[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back