REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Aug 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #1,801 of 2,116
Gotta wait :wink:

Enjoying my girlfriend's FA011 through my Audio-gd NFB5.2 (DAC out) --> Darkvoice 336i... Man so you gotta amp them like if they were worth 300

And then they sound like a pair of 300 headphone on the same system

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #1,802 of 2,116
 try to order from Fischer`s official USA Distributor (Musicaacoustics is actually based in Japan) very reliable service.
They seem to be  on back order as well though 
http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/category/headphones/home-headphones/fischer-audio-home-headphones/

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #1,803 of 2,116
I just got mine from gd audio. Ordered 7/28 and arrived at my doorstep on 8/20. Yeah, it's not fast. I still got a set of communist phones. It's worth it for the looks on people's faces when they see " HANDCRAFTED IN RUSSIA ".
tongue.gif

My cups match in color. The bronze logo on the side is on straight, but the lettering is a little faint and there are imperfections in the metal. I'll touch it up with brass-o and see how it goes.
I have burned them in maybe two and hours and I'm impressed with the sound even playing from sources that are nowhere near audiophile level, like my onboard realtek audio or a Galaxy Nexus.
I can only dream of what I'll hear once they're properly burned in and from a high quality source.

That brings me to a question. I have done a bit of reading and was interested in an O2 amp to go with my headphones, before I decided on these and read this whole thread. I noticed that someone asked about running an O2 amp and the suggestion was to wait for ODAC. These are out now, but the ODA isn't.
Are there any other amplifiers for desktop use (I don't want to worry about batteries) and in the same price range that are recommended for the FA-011s?
Or is the best budget option to just rig up an O2 for wall power and integrate the ODAC?

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #1,807 of 2,116
I have to admit they sound very good. My main headphone is a vintage AKG K340, but once in a while I need these. I've been listening to a lot of orchestral music lately and the soundstage is good. Instrument placement is good. Will play with ease the lowest bass notes. A very lively experience IMO. The y do need amplification to sound their best. When I got them I played them on my PC monitors headphone out and they were ok. As soon as I gave them a better amp (in my H/K 330B circa '75) they sound so much better, bass is deeper and more controlled, mids stand out much more and the highs are really nice, not sibilant. Worth it

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #1,809 of 2,116
Run into an issue. The left driver of these headphones has stopped working (for no reason I can fathom) after probably under 100hrs of use.

I'm reluctant to send these back to GD-Audiobase for warranty/RMA replacement due to reading a few horror stories and next to no positive experiences. It really seems like a $40-$80 gamble to send these from Australia.

Has anyone else had this issue? These are the dark-dark-dark-dark red wood model (older model). Any suggestions would be welcome...

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #1,810 of 2,116
Quote:
Run into an issue. The left driver of these headphones has stopped working (for no reason I can fathom) after probably under 100hrs of use.

I'm reluctant to send these back to GD-Audiobase for warranty/RMA replacement due to reading a few horror stories and next to no positive experiences. It really seems like a $40-$80 gamble to send these from Australia.

Has anyone else had this issue? These are the dark-dark-dark-dark red wood model (older model). Any suggestions would be welcome...

Sounds like you have the unit from the bad batch back in '11, the really dark red model that look's like black in color. You can dismantle the side that isn't working and resolder it. It could also be a defect connection for the left side signal in your 3.5mm jack.

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #1,811 of 2,116
Quote:

Sounds like you have the unit from the bad batch back in '11, the really dark red model that look's like black in color. You can dismantle the side that isn't working and resolder it. It could also be a defect connection for the left side signal in your 3.5mm jack.

Unfortunately I lack both the skills and materials to attempt a fix myself. Guess I need to find someone local

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #1,813 of 2,116
Quote:

My pair also seem to have an issue. Have been spending quite sometime on running in since receiving them from GD-Audiobase, but the sound quality is nowhere near what others have been praising. It was very harsh in the beginning but even after sometime, there was a level of grudge that seem to mask everything.

Also, my pair need quite some power and need to turn up the volume quite a bit. I am suprised others are getting good results from portables and PC monitors.

Been trying it on two amps, one tube one solid state, but got pretty much the same result. Dropped Fischer audio an enquiry, no reply. May be prolonged run-in will do the trick, but I am not confident. It appears to me that there may be some QC issue that makes some pairs to sound different, or we may have simply received a defective pair.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,814 of 2,116
Quote:

Hey, it might be worth your time to contact Ficher Audio directly, read a few pages back the offered full RMA on the batch I believe yours came from. BTW - mine are black in colour - would not get confused with red - are yours the same?

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #1,815 of 2,116
Quote:

My pair also seem to have an issue. Have been spending quite sometime on running in since receiving them from GD-Audiobase, but the sound quality is nowhere near what others have been praising. It was very harsh in the beginning but even after sometime, there was a level of grudge that seem to mask everything.

Also, my pair need quite some power and need to turn up the volume quite a bit. I am suprised others are getting good results from portables and PC monitors.

Been trying it on two amps, one tube one solid state, but got pretty much the same result. Dropped Fischer audio an enquiry, no reply. May be prolonged run-in will do the trick, but I am not confident. It appears to me that there may be some QC issue that makes some pairs to sound different, or we may have simply received a defective pair.

There is poor QC on these unfortunately. Those who purchased their first batch of FA-011's around the time LFF did his review is still the best batch out of all the one's up until the latest batch which have thicker pad's, come in two different colours (natural wood or burgundy red) which also have a circuit board with the required resistors rather then p2p soldering in the older models, the latest batch I haven't heard or seen so I cannot comment.

I don't know where you got the posts that these run fine out of portable amp's and straight out of the 3.5mm ports from your PC, but even my 011's require some proper amping to get the volume to the same level as say my LCD2's. These do require some power but not as much as Beyer's 600ohm line or the Senn's HD580/600/650 line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back