REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Apr 10, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #1,696 of 2,116
I've bought mine (natural wood) from them. Like their fb page, ask them questions. If you buy a few more items they might kindly give you a little discount :D

P.s. the natural wood is lovely, pics do not do them justice.
Quote:
i was thinking of buying the ad700 then thought there wasnt enough bass, then i was looking at the brainwav hm3 and the superlux hd668b (you can tell im on a budget), but my searches somehow led me wanting to buy the fa-011 as it seems to tick all the boxes. i've noticed through the thread that there seem to be stock issues in Europe, but have found a distributor for them here in Aus. I don't have enough coin at the moment and don't think i can justify buying them just yet, but if anyone is interested in getting the fa-011 in dark wood a company called noisy motel has them in stock and looks like they may ship internationally. its a shame that the rosewood versions are no longer being produced, really liked the colour on those.

also should i be worried about the QC issues? i've read two posts of them having some rolling sound in the cans, and sibilance issues (i dont think i'll have a prob with sibilance as i am no audiophile, wouldnt know what it is, even if it hit me in the face) but i guess if im buying locally, warranty shouldnt be a prob.

anyways heres a link: http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=332
not affiliated, just trying to help some peeps out.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #1,697 of 2,116
thanks Adrian, how's the build quality on yours?

their more of a want than a need if anything... haha

just a q for everyone, will my onboard have any problems driving them?

http://au.msi.com/product/mb/H57M-ED65.html

• Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC889
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec
- Meet Microsoft Vista Premium spec

Marketing spiel:

Lossless 24-bit/192KHz HD Audio

Onboard PC audio gets better! MSI is the first to implement the most high-end HD Audio codecs available. Don’t be fooled by other inferior audio solutions onboard (sometimes you can’t even find the driver!) Only MSI offers the Loss-less 24-bit/192KHz HD Audio function with an incredible 109 SNR dB value to provide the most clear & vivid HD audio quality and support 7.1 channels surround sound playback with a 2-channel independent stereo output (multiple streaming) through the front panel 3.5 inch phone jack.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #1,698 of 2,116
Build quality is fantastic, but the soldering points are quite weak - only a problem if you are opening the cups to mod...

I needed Dad to help me fix the joint in the end, but it was quite scary xp

Judging by how your HDAudio is based on the Realtek, if wallet allows I might get a DAC later on, or try someone's DAC to see would it make a difference (after headphones, always upgrade headphones first).

Especially since you have optical out :wink:

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #1,699 of 2,116

Quote:
Just got them in the mail today, paired with the X1, all I can say is wow!

Edit: There seems to be a loose object rolling around the un-cabled side's can. Is there a guide to taking these apart so I can find the object the problem?

Great to hear that your enjoying your 011's + the X1. The X1 DAC is a great little gem of a DAC.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,700 of 2,116
Hey everyone, first post!

I thought I would provide a timeline of my order status to help others gauge when theirs will arrive. 

I ordered my FA-011's (natural wood) on April 10th, 2012 through GD AudioBase to be shipped to the US. Payment was also made the same day. 

Immediately after ordering, I noticed that UPS and Fedex are a shipping option if you request it in the general comments section of the ordering process. Knowing this, I immediately emailed GD AudioBase and requested that my delivery be switched from RussianPost to Fedex. Unfortunately, he did not respond until three days later, after my headphones were shipped, but not a big deal. 

Today, April 16, 2012, I received an email providing me with a tracking number. 

In general, I have had a good experience so far. Customer service takes a few days to respond and their responses are VERY brief, but they are responding. I will update my post as I am updated on the delivery.

- andrx471

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,701 of 2,116

Quote:
Anyone tried our beloved FA-011 with an O2 yet?

Of course. I believe LFF at some point in this thread suggested the O2 (that is actually how I found out about the O2 in the first place many months ago).
I do not usually use the FA-011 with the O2 as I am quite happy with the sound I am getting direct out of my Xonar STX, but they sound very good with the O2.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #1,702 of 2,116
We should have a mass emailing campaign to Fischer Audio asking when will they get a distributor in the USA.
Might motivate them.

May 5, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,704 of 2,116
Ordered mine from Noisy Motel last Friday, so should get them about any time now.

May 9, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #1,705 of 2,116
Disassembled my 011's to pieces, removed stock grill screen and Fischer logo from the wooden housing which I gave a nice clean, and drilled a hole on the side without a hole for the cable to go through. Going to varnish the wooden cup's, make it into a dual entry balanced cable form factor using 3 braid strands for each channel (9 strands in total) with that in a 3 braid strand itself using Pure Silver. Going to drill extra holes into the driver and punch a hole in the felt covering the outside holes of the driver. I got to admit that these can's offering sound quality way above it's value, comparing these side by side with my LCD2's, the only difference is the LCD2 sound bit more neutral and soundstage is a bit wider and clearer driving both from my Violectric V100 amp. If the 011's were better built, they wouldn't cost the measly $150 or so they are worth now.

May 9, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #1,706 of 2,116
Quote:
Disassembled my 011's to pieces, removed stock grill screen and Fischer logo from the wooden housing which I gave a nice clean, and drilled a hole on the side without a hole for the cable to go through. Going to varnish the wooden cup's, make it into a dual entry balanced cable form factor using 3 braid strands for each channel (9 strands in total) with that in a 3 braid strand itself using Pure Silver. Going to drill extra holes into the driver and punch a hole in the felt covering the outside holes of the driver. I got to admit that these can's offering sound quality way above it's value, comparing these side by side with my LCD2's, the only difference is the LCD2 sound bit more neutral and soundstage is a bit wider and clearer driving both from my Violectric V100 amp. If the 011's were better built, they wouldn't cost the measly $150 or so they are worth now.

Remember to post pics when you are done.
smile.gif

May 9, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #1,707 of 2,116
Quote:

There we go, the headphone gods are at work again. Give praise to the headphone god, for he is sending DefQon his knowledge, courage and fortune. Awaiting for another miracle - with illustrative instructions too.

May 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #1,708 of 2,116
Quote:

There we go, the headphone gods are at work again. Give praise to the headphone god, for he is sending DefQon his knowledge, courage and fortune. Awaiting for another miracle - with illustrative instructions too.

biggrin.gif

Headphone Lego's..... 

Do note the cable seen in the picture is a custom 1.1meter 3 strand braid of pure silver solid core in a grey/black monofilament teflon sheath made by me, the standard Fischer cable is long gone.

Things to be done:

1. Drill hole on left side of cup - Done
2. Varnish wooden cups - Cleaned yet to be varnished
     - Sand and polishing the screen grill of the default black to silver, which I think look's better and gives the 011's a more upper class look.
3. Experiment with dampening/including different material on top of the driver and on the side of the internal wooden cup, possibly smooth and sand as well.
     - Experiment with driver modifications (non disclosed :wink:
4. Making new cables, deciding if it's going to be detachable or not
     - If it's detachable then I'm going to be using a 3 or 4 pin mini XLR jack on both sides like on my LCD2's.
     - Non-detachable then I will just running it straight from each headphone and having it balanced at the end terminating with 3 or 4 pin Neutrik/Switchcraft XLR's
5. Heatshrinking the black spokes that run from one side of the headband to the other (current black rubber sheath is bit prone to wear and tear and easily cut from sharp material)
6. Leather underside using the headband sponge from Sennheiser HD600/650 model's. Then using some fresh black lambskin they will be professionally sewn to the underside of the Fischer logo imprinted headband.
7. Possible earpad mod's or replacement with different one's but of the same size.

May 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,709 of 2,116
Quote:

Wow, a $150 headphone is close to $1000 one apart from a few negligible differences? Why do the Audeze's cost so much then? Must be more to it than that 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back