REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Mar 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,682 of 2,116

Quote:
What about something in the $100 territory for the FA011s? :wink: Still doing research until I finish my semester. You mentioned the Bravo v2 right? I want something in that price range as it would most likely be a gift to my female friend :p

Yes but do realise that you need to put in time and extra funds into modding the Bravo v2 tube amp (stock is just "Ok") and spend time tube rolling to get the appropriate signature match with the 011. I myself have overhauled the Bravo v2 into a little beast by following the mods at Rockgrotto forums and am about to spend another $100 on a Sophia Electric 12AU7 tube for these.

A stock Bravo v2 tube amp uses IRF630 mosfets for both channels, although they use little power and produce a little amount of heat, they are particularly warm in the Bravo v2 amp, and the treble is slightly rolled off. Complying with the mods at Rockgrotto, you can use any IRL 513/530/630 mosfets to improve clarity and cure the rolled off treble problem of the IRF530/630 mosfets.

I've had a few NOS tubes to play which are all better then the stock Chinese 12AU7 tube (which is still not too bad), just for reference Mullards and Sylvania provide an extra warmth to the sound, providing deeper and stronger dynamics like the bass, RCA gold ringed tops provide alot of transparency, vocals shine with these as it adds bit of emphasis to the treble range while still keeping it clear and fairly forward.

From what I've heard, Sophia Electrics are supposedly the best 12AU7 tubes you can purchase today that are still being produced and offer performance of all the above tube characteristics I mentioned.

Here's a list of portable amp's that I've tried with the 011's

E7/E9 combo - $160 Amp and DAC - Sound is pretty good but the E7 prices are fairly expensive now
E11 - $75 can drive the 011's fairly well (just over borderline of driving it) sounds great, cannot opamp roll
CmoyBB - $80 great little cmoy unit with bass boost functions, can do opamp rolling to change signature of sound but great only driving IEM's or low impedence headphones struggles to drive the 011's anywhere near efficiency 
GSA Voyager - $180-240 - About 30% performance improvement over the E11but fairly expensive, unless you buy a used unit.
Custom Banzai v2 Cmoy kit modded - $40 - ??? a dual 9v rail Cmoy using the Banzai v2 kit which can be for $20USD just for the PCB and components to solder using a stock JRC4558 I think it is opamp, my one has a upgrade opamp, a portable enclosure, changed resistors and soon to have pots soldered over existing channel bias jumpers and 2AD9897 opamps with a 1uf film capacitor in conjunction (thanks to Mad Max) on soic 8 adapter. Sounds brilliant with the 011's and drive them fairly well.
RSA Predator - $180-220 Great little amp but for its price you may as well look elsewhere such as E7/E9 combo's etc that offer more performance then the RSA Predators, these little portable amp's are fairly hard to find these days as well (well at least for me it is)

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #1,684 of 2,116

Quote:
Can the X2 drive the headphone out on the X1?

Ohh totally forgot, I use the X2 only for speakers, the X1 DAC/amp is what you can for your headphones. Which in turn again cost a lot cheaper for the DAC/amp itself then the combo link I linked you. Sorry.

Here, this is all you need to get your hearing bliss out of the 011's. If you wish to also drive speakers, then refer back to the combo I linked earlier.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUNE-24bit-192K-X1-DAC-headphone-amp-preamp-USB-DAC-WM8805-PCM1793-USB-coxia-/140627630584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20be0f59f8

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,685 of 2,116
The K501 behind the picture made it worthy to try the amp. If only I have that cash xd

Quote:
Ohh totally forgot, I use the X2 only for speakers, the X1 DAC/amp is what you can for your headphones. Which in turn again cost a lot cheaper for the DAC/amp itself then the combo link I linked you. Sorry.

Here, this is all you need to get your hearing bliss out of the 011's. If you wish to also drive speakers, then refer back to the combo I linked earlier.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUNE-24bit-192K-X1-DAC-headphone-amp-preamp-USB-DAC-WM8805-PCM1793-USB-coxia-/140627630584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20be0f59f8

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #1,687 of 2,116

Quote:

It's only $190? For the sound performance, I would still buy it if it was at $250-300.

Sometimes a worthy purchase by price does not necessarily means a worthy purchase by how the cost/benefits work out for yourself. :wink:

And stop tempting others.

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #1,688 of 2,116

Quote:
Sometimes a worthy purchase by price does not necessarily means a worthy purchase by how the cost/benefits work out for yourself. :wink:

And stop tempting others.

Well I can only say because I have one and the FA-011 which falls right in target within this thread if others are willing to stretch their budget a bit with a better amp/dac that doesn't break the bank then the E11, Cmoy's Pa2v2 etc.

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #1,689 of 2,116
Have there been any more full reviews of this headphone? I want to know what vocals are like on this, especially female vocals. With the emphasized bass and treble, the mids are sure to be recessed no? I'm essentially looking for something like the DT990 with the AD900 or a similar forward vocal headphone. Can this exist or is it a paradox? Fischers seem like the only other open headphone apart from beyers that have the bass (apart from the 650 apparently)

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #1,690 of 2,116

Quote:
Have there been any more full reviews of this headphone? I want to know what vocals are like on this, especially female vocals. With the emphasized bass and treble, the mids are sure to be recessed no? I'm essentially looking for something like the DT990 with the AD900 or a similar forward vocal headphone. Can this exist or is it a paradox? Fischers seem like the only other open headphone apart from beyers that have the bass (apart from the 650 apparently)

The mids are absolutely not recessed on these, they are slightly on the DT770 and 990. Have not heard the AD900 so cannot comment.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,691 of 2,116
While they are not recessed, the mids (or they in general) do not sound like the AD900 at all. AD900 really lets female vocals sing like an angel, my girlfriend (who is the one who owns both of them) said that the FA011 is a lot more fire-ry, so the vocals are like a punk star vs celine dior. And I quite agree with her.

I think they compliment each other very well.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #1,694 of 2,116
Just got them in the mail today, paired with the X1, all I can say is wow!

Edit: There seems to be a loose object rolling around the un-cabled side's can. Is there a guide to taking these apart so I can find the object the problem?

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #1,695 of 2,116
i was thinking of buying the ad700 then thought there wasnt enough bass, then i was looking at the brainwav hm3 and the superlux hd668b (you can tell im on a budget), but my searches somehow led me wanting to buy the fa-011 as it seems to tick all the boxes. i've noticed through the thread that there seem to be stock issues in Europe, but have found a distributor for them here in Aus. I don't have enough coin at the moment and don't think i can justify buying them just yet, but if anyone is interested in getting the fa-011 in dark wood a company called noisy motel has them in stock and looks like they may ship internationally. its a shame that the rosewood versions are no longer being produced, really liked the colour on those.

also should i be worried about the QC issues? i've read two posts of them having some rolling sound in the cans, and sibilance issues (i dont think i'll have a prob with sibilance as i am no audiophile, wouldnt know what it is, even if it hit me in the face) but i guess if im buying locally, warranty shouldnt be a prob.

anyways heres a link: http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=332
not affiliated, just trying to help some peeps out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back