REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Mar 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #1,666 of 2,116

Quote:
If you want massive soundstage and good bass in the thunderpants price range, I'd skip it and go with one of the closed back woodie Audio Technicas instead

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read, the Thunderpants has the best bass and treble reproduction in its price range, dare it even comes close to the LCD2 in terms of bass clarity (from Jude's video review). Also the Audio Technica ATH3k - 5k range is 2x the price of a Thunderpants and the AT don't have comparable bass up against the Thunderpants, sure they have bit more detail and less rolled off highs but there wing flap design is more designed for bigger heads. I've had problems in the past with there AD700,900,1000 and 2000 headphones regarding with fit and comfort.

Correction: Seems that they don't have any bass at all compared to these:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575725/new-flagship-from-audio-technica-ath-w3000anv-50th-anniversary-headphones/315

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,667 of 2,116

Quote:
And when he said no to the D2k because they are $100 too expensive, comes the thunderpants and the ATH-W series...

I don't care in the slightest what he wants, I clearly said what I would choose.  

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #1,668 of 2,116
lol thanks for the replies. And sorry for my ignorance seems to be causing a lot of arguements. As I said before, the Denon's I tried on were connected to some unknown amp in the shop so maybe they affected it but I wasn't impressed by them. An amp shouldn't make that much difference should it? Especially with low impedance. Another problem with the d2k, is that people say it leaks a lot of sound. This is completely pointless for me. If sound is going to leak I might as well go for open headphones like the fischers.

The last problem as I've already mentioned is the fit. It's too big for my ears. There's an air gap at the bottom of my ears when I tried them on. Does this affect the bass? The headphones also keep slipping, like the audio technica Air/art series do (my head is small)

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #1,669 of 2,116
Maybe some portables - DT1350s, HD25, TMA-1, etc etc... For more quality closed back sound, I could not think of anything besides Sony, Denon, Ultrasone and ATH but they are all heck expensive/does not fit your need like discussed.

But you want over ears TT Put it as a challenge on a new thread lol.

Quote:
lol thanks for the replies. And sorry for my ignorance seems to be causing a lot of arguements. As I said before, the Denon's I tried on were connected to some unknown amp in the shop so maybe they affected it but I wasn't impressed by them. An amp shouldn't make that much difference should it? Especially with low impedance. Another problem with the d2k, is that people say it leaks a lot of sound. This is completely pointless for me. If sound is going to leak I might as well go for open headphones like the fischers.

The last problem as I've already mentioned is the fit. It's too big for my ears. There's an air gap at the bottom of my ears when I tried them on. Does this affect the bass? The headphones also keep slipping, like the audio technica Air/art series do (my head is small)

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #1,670 of 2,116

Quote:
Maybe some portables - DT1350s, HD25, TMA-1, etc etc... For more quality closed back sound, I could not think of anything besides Sony, Denon, Ultrasone and ATH but they are all heck expensive/does not fit your need like discussed.

But you want over ears TT Put it as a challenge on a new thread lol.

Thanks for the advice. After my experience with the CAL's I'm staying away from portables. I need full size for home use. May start my own thread. Sorry for the slight detour. Now, back to the fischers 
o2smile.gif

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #1,671 of 2,116
I don't want to spend the money for a PB2, I'm tossing around the idea of getting a PB1 or a CMOY-BB, some of you have mentioned that the CMOY sounded great others were not so thrilled.

Were you using a single or double 9 volt configuration?

Thanks for the info, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #1,672 of 2,116

Quote:
I don't want to spend the money for a PB2, I'm tossing around the idea of getting a PB1 or a CMOY-BB, some of you have mentioned that the CMOY sounded great others were not so thrilled.

Were you using a single or double 9 volt configuration?

Thanks for the info, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Dual 9v configuration on a banzai moi v2 kit, but I changed few resistors and the opamp from the JRC4459 I think it was to a dual AD9597. I've played with the CmoyBB and although it has nice features such as the bass equaliser switch, you'd be better with a E11 driving these rather then a CMOY, the CMOY just doesn't have enough oompphh to drive these properly (neither doe the E11 but a lot better then a moi) regardless of opamp or modifications done to a Cmoy amp.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #1,674 of 2,116

Quote:
Thanks,

I want the oompphh. I need, the oompphh.

I can provide some details of amps that I have played around with from experience that drives the 011's really really well (also paired up very well with other high end headphones), depending on your budget and use (work/home or portable) and genres of music you listen to.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #1,675 of 2,116
Awesome-I'd really appreciate it!

I'm looking into the $300 and under range and possibly splitting the cost of something around $500.
Size is not a problem, but it does need to have a battery.

I found a 24-bit/96kHz recording of Miss You (Disco Version) by the Rolling Stones and I decided the beats headphones  my brother gave me (he got them for free, so I don't feel bad disregarding them) coming out of my laptop's audio out were not cutting it.

I haven't bought a CD since the 90s (this is soon to change), I have manged to get a hold of CDs of the following artist to start my hi-fi collection (gonna rip to flac)

Debussy, Liszt ,The Kills, Dandy Warhols, Big Audio Dynamite, David Bowie, Queen, Pixies, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pulp, Phish, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Talking Heads,Trentemøller, Moby, Claude VonStroke, Aphex Twin,Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Brian Eno, RATATAT, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Portishead

Sound stage is important and I really need to hear the bass and not just feel it.

Thanks 

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #1,676 of 2,116

Quote:
Awesome-I'd really appreciate it!

I'm looking into the $300 and under range and possibly splitting the cost of something around $500.
Size is not a problem, but it does need to have a battery.

So pretty much your asking for a portable amp? phone sized mobile brick device with possibily finicky toggles and switches and input/output ports for it to connect to a source (device with music on it) and your headphone at the same time.....

Because to be honest I don't know many portable headphone amplifiers with the matching signature of the 011 when paired sounds energised and great, most expensive portable amp's can drive harder to drive and higher impedence headphones but they do not offer performance  anywhere near to a good desktop amplifier which most likely certainly will cost less and better.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #1,678 of 2,116

Quote:
I'm planning on taking it to work, I redact my statement. It doesn't need a battery, but needs to fit in a backpack.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ok, there is one that is so one of my favourites:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUNE-24bit-192K-X1-DAC-headphone-amp-preamp-USB-DAC-aune-X2-amplifier-pair-/110746238681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c8fd7ed9

Read the reviews from Rockgrotto on these provided on the description of the amp, its bascially an amp/dac combo and trust me, it will last you for a while (until you upgrade to something like high end electrostats or power hungry orthos) the Aune X1 dac + X2 amp is pretty much an unbeatable combo. You can also use them separately. When I first got the 011's I found that the signature was slightly dark and warm with bass and the mids being its strongest point but the highs a bit bright (so may call it sibilant, don't know why), I tried a few tube amp's now and there and other solid states and also the Schiit Asgard and Lyres, while the Schiit Asgard and Lyres sound exceptionally good there price was almost 5 times the price of the 011's. So I stumbled upon these on Rockgrotto forums (a DIY audio forum pretty much like headfi but technical, think of diyaudio meets headfi meets audiokarma) and I didn't believe it was good because my experience with the first Aune dac they released was just "Ok". 

So I pulled the plug and purchased them and let it burn in for about 2 days straight, mind you even out of the box they sounded good, but the sound signature of them transparent and clean revealing bit more detail and controlling the mids and highs made me dedicate them just for my 011's and HD600's (till my HD600 headband snapped), I can tell you that for the price the Aune dac/amp x1 and x2 there is nothing at that price point that beats it. I've also tried the Matrix mini which functions as a dac only is also very good but I found that it was a tad bit dry for my taste and about $50 more then the Aune.

Another good amp supposedly pairs up with the 011 really really well (according to LFF) is the Fischer Audio Mystify its around $350 and supposedly sonically fast and energetic, but I've never tried it so I can't personally comment on its performance against other contenders in the same price bracket.

I don't know why when people talk about most electronics especially audio stuff, people get turned off when they hear something Made in China, sure China has and still makes alot of bodgy stuff, but that aside thats the cheap stuff that people pay the price for, there are some really good Chinese brands that are sometimes distinctively better then its US or Europe counterparts with the same price or sometimes even higher, these products generally cost a bit more then others (including generics) and have more stringent manufacturing rules and conditions to comply to to ensure quality is met before it goes out onto the market.

Hope this somewhat helped you.

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #1,679 of 2,116

Users who are viewing this thread

Back