REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Feb 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #1,546 of 2,116

Quote:
Pretty much. But to most people, the sound produced is all that matters. If the 011's came in a nice wooden box with shaped foam and silk for the 011's to sleep in which is 1000% painted and crafted to perfection will not be the £50 you will be spending.

lol I'm not asking for that much. Just asking for simple decent packaging and consistency in production. I have very little money to play with (I've just lost £25 in 1 month because I bought the Hd558's and they weren't right for me), so I'd like to make the right choice the first time (as I'm sure everyone else would). These headphones wont be as cheap as just the asking price as well, since I'd need to buy and amp and get a dac/soundcard. If the sound I get blows me away then I wont mind.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #1,548 of 2,116

Quote:
I think you are feeling more happy from listening to your HE500 and then to your 011's is probably because you haven't got a amp paired up that has driven your 500 to sing and be pushed to its limit. It's the same when my HE5 came in and understand by what most people say when they are quite difficult to drive and especially driven with the right amp with the accurate sound sig...thank god I don't own the HE6 which are apparantly even more notoriously difficult to drive, its like finding a needle in a hay-stick to drive them properly.

Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure which antenna piece had the wire in it.  Also, I had a few very nice amps for the HD500 during my review of it. :p

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #1,549 of 2,116
From the pictures on screen, the red wood version looks better imo. Can anyone link me to post numbers in this thread where people give a full review. I've read the first 30 pages but haven't come across that many. I'd like to get more opinions and comparisons.

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #1,551 of 2,116
Quick update, these cans are not comfortable at all, fabric pads are quite hard, clamping force is quite hard, cups are very shallow - for my medium /average size ears they will fit in the circumference ok but touch the inner foam :frowning2:. This is ok in short listening periods but becomes painful and irritating for extended plays.

There is a little bit of give in the padding that might allow me to increase the depth by adding some extra foam/tissue behind them. Not sure if I'll do the whole pad or just towards the rear - which is where my ears are touching the foam.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,552 of 2,116
You can reshape the top metal bands to reduce the clamping pressure. I removed the inner foam covering the driver and it give my ears a lot more room to breathe.

Quote:
Quick update, these cans are not comfortable at all, fabric pads are quite hard, clamping force is quite hard, cups are very shallow - for my medium /average size ears they will fit in the circumference ok but touch the inner foam :frowning2:. This is ok in short listening periods but becomes painful and irritating for extended plays.

There is a little bit of give in the padding that might allow me to increase the depth by adding some extra foam/tissue behind them. Not sure if I'll do the whole pad or just towards the rear - which is where my ears are touching the foam.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,553 of 2,116

Quote:
You can reshape the top metal bands to reduce the clamping pressure. I removed the inner foam covering the driver and it give my ears a lot more room to breathe.

Hey Cajunky, thanks for that, do your ears touch the plastic inside? Did it change the sound characteristics at all?

I might give it a go if stuffing the pads fails :)

Gonna give the cans a good stretching session over some PC game cases I think :)

EDIT: Gave the headband a good 'over extension' and it appears to have loosened the clamping force enough to deem it somewhat comfortable :D, also I used some spare bandage to pack out under the padding towards the rear of the cup, the results are pretty good, still a slight bit of contact with my ear - but it is no longer forcing it back into my head so there is no pain involved :D.

ALSO, this could be my imagination, but it appears that the sound stage has improved slightly, as the drivers are now tilted at a small angle towards my ears as a result of the extra padding towards the back. The bass also seems to have lost a tinsy bit of impact - but for me, who listens to mostly post rock and prog rock - is a welcome change :)

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #1,555 of 2,116

My ears, while large from top to bottom, don't stick out that much so removing the foam give them just enough room. They might be a little brighter in the treble but not much more than having the hole cut in the foam. I got mine last April/May and they didn't have a hole cut in the foam. I first cut out the hole and compared and then removed the foam completely. They are a liitle picky with Sources/Amps. Depending on the source they can be a little bright and sibilant to my ears but I am pretty sensitive to that.

What is funny is Pandora out of my Kindle Fire into my CmoyBB to the FA-011 sounds great. This might be due to the DAC in the Fire rolling off the highs. Out of my Clip+ into my CmoyBB can be a little too bright for me but it depends on the recording. Often I add a 75-Ohm adapter to the mix and it take the edge off the highs.  With this adapter these sound about perfect to me.  I have a feeling that I prefer a darker signature to my headphones. I always wonder if it is just my ears or if others find the highs on the FA-011 a little too bright? I have also wondered if an amp upgrade or a better source would help smooth out this region.

Quote:
Quote:

Hey Cajunky, thanks for that, do your ears touch the plastic inside? Did it change the sound characteristics at all?

I might give it a go if stuffing the pads fails :)

Gonna give the cans a good stretching session over some PC game cases I think :)

EDIT: Gave the headband a good 'over extension' and it appears to have loosened the clamping force enough to deem it somewhat comfortable :D, also I used some spare bandage to pack out under the padding towards the rear of the cup, the results are pretty good, still a slight bit of contact with my ear - but it is no longer forcing it back into my head so there is no pain involved :D.

ALSO, this could be my imagination, but it appears that the sound stage has improved slightly, as the drivers are now tilted at a small angle towards my ears as a result of the extra padding towards the back. The bass also seems to have lost a tinsy bit of impact - but for me, who listens to mostly post rock and prog rock - is a welcome change :)

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #1,556 of 2,116

Quote:

I personally found these very comfy and i've  quite a big head.

But i have to agree on the fact these could be not so comfy for extended plays tought ( more than 2 hours, because of the contact between ears and foam like you said )

Quote:
. I always wonder if it is just my ears or if others find the highs on the FA-011 a little too bright? I have also wondered if an amp upgrade or a better source would help smooth out this region.

The FA-011 is definitely bright to my ears too :)
That said you'd better avoid Bright amp especially if you're sensitive to that but i do think that an amp could fix that ( maybe a dark one )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back