REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Feb 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,531 of 2,116

Quote:
I got mine earlier today, amazing service as Frogbeats btw.   The Fa011 natural wood color is definitely lighter in the pictures due to the camera flash, the real color is a bit darker, less bright.  The pictures are also deceptive in regards to the overall size of the headphones, they are way smaller than I thought they would be which I am just so happy about.  They are not large cans and only barely pass as over the ears for me, the cups also rest on your ears and sink in quite a bit, your ear will touch the soft inside center area of the pad.  Thankfully, its very soft and pliable.  Nice stage, pretty much everything I wanted in my beloved HD 598.  Very stonge bass that is just like people have been saying, not overwhelming or at all bloated, responds very well to high bass tracks, deep, clear and solid.  Excellent mids.  Highs are really sibilant on some tracks but that might change after they equalize and burn in a little.  

Overall, I am extremely happy.  First time in about half a decade that I paid for a set of headphones and did not immediately want to return them or sell them off.  

And one more is converted to the awesomeness of the FA-011.
wink.gif

I've been lately noticing how awesome my MiniMAX + FA-011 combo is, the volume seems to always go up when I use them.
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #1,532 of 2,116
Congratulations to the new owners of the FA-011!!!  I <3 mine ever since I bought it over half a year ago.  Too bad the light natural wood wasn't available then =P

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #1,533 of 2,116

Quote:
I listen to mainly electonic music (Dance, Dubstep, DnB etc.) but I do have a very eclectic mix of music that I listen to.

I am by no means an expert and aside from listening briefly to a few different sets of decent headphones I have only ever owned the DT770s and now the FA-011s.

The bass is impressive on the DT770s - it's definitely its defining feature. I am a typical bass head and so I loved the DT770s (you probably would too) - however since getting and having a day with the FA-011s I am starting to realise where the DT770s fall down and where the FA-011s do well. I undersatand both these headphones have recessed mids, however, the FA-011s mids, I think, are fantastic.

As I mentioned previously; I keep going back to the DT770s but after the FA-011 the bass does feel a little muddled. You must remember this is STRAIGHT after listening to the FA-011s. I suppose what I'm trying to get across is that it depends on what your expectations are and what you are used to listening to.

What it comes down to with me is that one set of phones are closed and one are open - if you are a bass head then either of these phones will do - it just depends on what you require in terms of open or closed is.

I have deceided to keep both my headphones - I will keep the DT770s at work as they isolate VERY well and I will keep the FA-011s for home use as I have my own office (room) in the house so isolation isn't a worry. I also game and watch movies at home so the open FA-011s fulfill that need perfectly.

I hope that helps you out in some way!

Where abouts in the UK are you?

EDIT: Also RayleisghSilvers, don't worry too much about the difference in each phones low end extension (5hz Beyers to 18hz Fischers). My interpretation of the difference is that the Beyers extension just gives you an almost light "vibration" and you get the sense of air pressue being pushed onto your ears. Yes, this does make the Beyers feel increibly powerful in terms of bass but as I say this can then feel like a muddle after hearing something with 'cleaner' bass (sorry I just realised most of what we're talking about is actually sub-bass). The Fischers still have impressive, low sub-bass.

It's a big help. I was slightly concerned about the FA-011's not having enough bass impact being open headphones compared to the beyers, but since you're a basshead and the you have both of them and feel the FA-011's are fine then it gives me a bit more confidence.

If I have enough funds I will probably order these later on today. I was thinking of ordering the asus xonar DG or DS. A lot of people say you need to buy dedicated amp to drive anything over 80 ohms (in general) but I've come across a post of Malveux where he says a soundcard is enough. Does everyone who has purchased this headphone use an amp of some form or can I drive it straight out of my soundcard. I listen at low volumes anyway, so driving it to loud levels isn't a problem, my concern is whether the headphones will have enough power to perform their best. Will a sansa clip+ drive them?

Oh and I'm from Birmingham 
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #1,535 of 2,116

Quote:

If I have enough funds I will probably order these later on today. I was thinking of ordering the asus xonar DG or DS. A lot of people say you need to buy dedicated amp to drive anything over 80 ohms (in general) but I've come across a post of Malveux where he says a soundcard is enough. Does everyone who has purchased this headphone use an amp of some form or can I drive it straight out of my soundcard. I listen at low volumes anyway, so driving it to loud levels isn't a problem, my concern is whether the headphones will have enough power to perform their best. Will a sansa clip+ drive them?

Oh and I'm from Birmingham 
ksc75smile.gif

If it's any help, I've got an Asus Xonar ST, which I will be driving my FA-011's with (once they are delivered). I can test them on the low impedance setting - which I'm guessing is the same as a normal soundcard output as far as power goes.

If your willing to wait that is, I should have them sometime next week, the original ETA was early Feb but the shipment to Noisy Motel got delayed though :frowning2:

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #1,536 of 2,116

Quote:
If it's any help, I've got an Asus Xonar ST, which I will be driving my FA-011's with (once they are delivered). I can test them on the low impedance setting - which I'm guessing is the same as a normal soundcard output as far as power goes.

If your willing to wait that is, I should have them sometime next week, the original ETA was early Feb but the shipment to Noisy Motel got delayed though :frowning2:

Judging by the price difference, the ST should be in a different league. I'll probably get my gear before yours as I suffer from impulse buying, but I look forward to hearing your impressions of the headphones either way.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #1,537 of 2,116
Pictures!!

Just got mine delivered today - had a very quick listen in my noisy work environment and can confidently say that I'm in love :D more impressions later on once I introduce them into their new home in my man cave :D

Build quality has been pretty well documented in this thread so far, so no point going into massive detail about it, off center hole cut out in the left ear piece and grubby finger prints on the logo, also the text is printed onto the metal, not engraved. Clamping force is a little more than I prefer, which I'm sure can be easily remedied :)

Build quality issues aside, these are awesome cans... but you guys already knew that didn't you :p

EDIT:

OH MY GOD THE BASS!

These cans have so much bass, specially going from my HD595's, this is almost bowel moving in comparison. Auditioned some Pendulum first and was shocked at how much freaking bass these have (in a very good way naturally). I then moved onto my favourite auditioning track - Porcupine Tree "Cloud Zero", again wow, bass line was tight and oh so present, mids appeared pretty neutral (definately a lot further behind than my HD595's, but that's a given considering how forward 595's are with the mids). Highs are very tasty, slightly sibilant - but I'm sure it's something I will adapt to and not even notice once my ears have warmed to their signature.

At the moment listening to some good old Ozric Tentacles "Eternal Wheel" from their Erpland album... loving every second.

@RayleighSilvers: I don't know if this will help you, but I tested these babies out on the normal gain setting of my Xonar ST's (which is 0-64ohm) and it could handle them sufficiently, bass maybe wasn't as strong and volume obviously had to be cranked up a lot more. Moved them up to the second gain setting pretty quickly (64-300ohm) which brought them to life, I'll play around with the two settings to see if anything else is lacking over the next few days and report back.

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #1,539 of 2,116
I'm going to have to agree with that, these are one of the best headphones I've ever heard in any price range. I've never owned any headphones that sound this good without an amp. They sound astounding right out of my J3.  I feel really odd coming from the HE500 right into this and being even more happy.  I do a question about the headband I hope somebody can answer for me. I am not a fan of the radar dish type design above my head, I would really like to mod this with some kind of grado headband.  I'd like to know where the cable is that runs from one into the other, is it inside of the leather piece that rests on your head?  if so I'm definitely going mod this with different head band. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,540 of 2,116
I've only heard one sample and I think something was off about it because bass was one of its least well-represented sides, amped or unmapped. What came out was nearly sibilant high mids and even male vocals. I need to hear another one as I love the comfort and overall price.

EDIT: Okay, there is something wrong. The headphones were damaged or something, but not typical as with many headphone connections where immediately sounds fade in and out; these would prefer a certain frequency response, then drop it immediately!

EDIT 2: Love the fit enough that if I hear one that is in good shape, I'll likely buy it. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #1,541 of 2,116

Quote:
Why would you do an E7/E10 combo?  The E10 only accepts USB input (so no using the E10 as just the amp), and both its amp and DAC sections are better than the E7.  Unless you meant E7/E9, but that's more like $180-$200.

And the E17 retails for $140, so it fits in his budget.  Similar sound to the E10 (which works really well with the FA-011), but with all the portable features of the E7.

I said E11 or maybe a E7/E10 combo, its been a long while since I've had a E7 in my hands again. The E11 you can buy for $60 and the E10 is $90 last time I checked which is about $150-170 mark, so should be alright.

And from the new products section Fiio's rep mentioned that the E17 was going to retail over $150 on the first page which is where I grabbed off, don't know if it got updated or not one of the guys that did a review on it think it was a prototype unit or something not to sure, and judging from the review the E17 ain't all that great, sure its alot cheaper then other companies counterparts but it sounded like a hit and miss. I recommend the E11's as the cheapest amp to pair up with these is because it sonically and signature wise fits in with the 011's and makes it more enjoyable. Although the 011's are rated at a mere 160ohm's, they can be driven by most desktop amps/dac combo's and certain portable amp's but not all of them will sound great because of the dark like sound sig of the 011's. You got to pick the perfect pair to make it sing.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,542 of 2,116

Quote:
I'm going to have to agree with that, these are one of the best headphones I've ever heard in any price range. I've never owned any headphones that sound this good without an amp. They sound astounding right out of my J3.  I feel really odd coming from the HE500 right into this and being even more happy.  I do a question about the headband I hope somebody can answer for me. I am not a fan of the radar dish type design above my head, I would really like to mod this with some kind of grado headband.  I'd like to know where the cable is that runs from one into the other, is it inside of the leather piece that rests on your head?  if so I'm definitely going mod this with different head band. 

One side of the wire runs through the headband swival and runs through one of the headband tubes across the top headband to the side which has the 3.5mm coming out. If your going to mod it, I recommend to unsolder the side with the 3.5mm output first which has about 6 wires inside you need to unsolder and then dissemble. Don't forget to unscrew the inside covers for the swival housing, because the wires are jammed right in there.

I think you are feeling more happy from listening to your HE500 and then to your 011's is probably because you haven't got a amp paired up that has driven your 500 to sing and be pushed to its limit. It's the same when my HE5 came in and understand by what most people say when they are quite difficult to drive and especially driven with the right amp with the accurate sound sig...thank god I don't own the HE6 which are apparantly even more notoriously difficult to drive, its like finding a needle in a hay-stick to drive them properly.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,543 of 2,116
Is that centre cut out supposed to be there 
confused.gif

From the impressions I'm getting the FA-011 sounds like it punches way above it's weight in the audio department but the build quality/quality control side of things seem terrible. Whenever I spend a lot of money on something (£50+), it should feel special. From the pictures, what I can gather is that I will receive a grubby finger print painted, uneven wood, dirty headphone with no replaceable cable and circle/oval shape cutout in the foam which doesn't even align in the center of the driver, all in a cheap recycled cardboard box with no aesthetically pleasing features.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #1,544 of 2,116

Quote:
Is that centre cut out supposed to be there 
confused.gif

From the impressions I'm getting the FA-011 sounds like it punches way above it's weight in the audio department but the build quality/quality control side of things seem terrible. Whenever I spend a lot of money on something (£50+), it should feel special. From the pictures, what I can gather is that I will receive a grubby finger print painted, uneven wood, dirty headphone with no replaceable cable, in a cheap recycled cardboard box with no aesthetically pleasing features.

Pretty much. But to most people, the sound produced is all that matters. If the 011's came in a nice wooden box with shaped foam and silk for the 011's to sleep in which is 1000% painted and crafted to perfection will not be the £50 you will be spending.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #1,545 of 2,116

Quote:
The first two are out of his budget range and the O2 amp requires a wallwart. As for a portable amp recommendation that only fits with the signature of the 011's within the $150 bracket is the E11 or E7/E10 combo. Everything I've tried makes the 011's sound less fun and clear. Once you hit over the $250 mark with portable amp's, there is a slightly larger selection of amp's that will pair very nicely with the 011. 

What about a cheap sound card like the xonar dg with an amp like the E9?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back