REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Feb 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,516 of 2,116

Quote:
Has anyone had enough time with their new pair to post any thoughts or reviews yet?  I am stuck between these, the Senn 598 and the AKG 701Q....if I can get a sound that has a fun sound close to the Senn of AKQ for $170, i will just go with the Fischers. 

Also, what portable amp (non tube) do you think goes the best with these.  I have a Creative Titanium HD soundcard in my computer...would that be enough or do you recommend something to add to this for the Fischers?

The soundcard will be enough, but if depending on your budget, getting any portable amp that isn't a Cmoy or has enough power to drive over 160ohm's will make these can's shine. I can only recommend based on experience depending on the budget your willing to spend on a new portable amp.

Also in terms or sound quality, I would rate these easily over the 701's and 598. But sound is subjective and this is my opinion based on my experience I've had with all 3.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,517 of 2,116
Thank you DefQon for that!  Question, could you recommend a portable amp to go in tandem with the Titanium HD and is also good to power something like an Ipod as well?  How are the mids on the Fischers?  Besides music, I would be using these just as much for gaming (adventure, RPG, some shooters) and blu ray movie watching so large clear sound stage is very important too.  Can anyone say yet how the "new and improved" ear pads are?...yours or any others opinions?

Thanks again....I am close to pulling the trigger but just have a few more questions... 

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #1,518 of 2,116

Quote:
Thank you DefQon for that!  Question, could you recommend a portable amp to go in tandem with the Titanium HD and is also good to power something like an Ipod as well?  How are the mids on the Fischers?  Besides music, I would be using these just as much for gaming (adventure, RPG, some shooters) and blu ray movie watching so large clear sound stage is very important too.  Can anyone say yet how the "new and improved" ear pads are?...yours or any others opinions?

Thanks again....I am close to pulling the trigger but just have a few more questions... 

These are very good for gaming and movie watching besides just listening to music. What is the limit of your budget? How much are you willing to spend to complement your sound card and to improve your listening factor? For the lowest budget I can think of an amp that will suit these perfectly is the Fiio E11 which is around $60-75, I can also suggest even better portable amp's if your willing to spend more.

Now onto the sound of these, mids are not recessed but not as sparkly as the 701's which I find it bit to harsh and bright, the 011's also have very good bass extension and bass slam and depth when needed (gunfire and explosions in games and movies), very large soundstage when driven properly with the right amplifier but these have a large soundstage to begin with. The treble,bass and soundstage are some of the best sound aspects about this headphone, even better when its fed with a powerful and the right amp.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,519 of 2,116
I probably can't do more than $150 for an amp...plus i would like to go from Titanium HD-->(Amp of choice)--->Fischer FA-011...hope that gives you a good idea....i want my games to sounds great and my movies too.  The Q701's are about $100 or so more and I would need to get an amp from what I have read to push those too so it looks like the FA-011's are what I am going to shoot for with whatever amp you would recommend (FiiO 11 or whatnot) to save some money...thoughts?

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #1,521 of 2,116

Quote:
Fiio e17. Or an HRT Headstreamer, I don't know how good it is though.

Orrrrrrr an Objective 2. Excellent amp for the price.

The first two are out of his budget range and the O2 amp requires a wallwart. As for a portable amp recommendation that only fits with the signature of the 011's within the $150 bracket is the E11 or E7/E10 combo. Everything I've tried makes the 011's sound less fun and clear. Once you hit over the $250 mark with portable amp's, there is a slightly larger selection of amp's that will pair very nicely with the 011. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #1,523 of 2,116

Quote:
The first two are out of his budget range and the O2 amp requires a wallwart. As for a portable amp recommendation that only fits with the signature of the 011's within the $150 bracket is the E11 or E7/E10 combo. Everything I've tried makes the 011's sound less fun and clear. Once you hit over the $250 mark with portable amp's, there is a slightly larger selection of amp's that will pair very nicely with the 011. 

Why would you do an E7/E10 combo?  The E10 only accepts USB input (so no using the E10 as just the amp), and both its amp and DAC sections are better than the E7.  Unless you meant E7/E9, but that's more like $180-$200.

And the E17 retails for $140, so it fits in his budget.  Similar sound to the E10 (which works really well with the FA-011), but with all the portable features of the E7.

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #1,525 of 2,116

Quote:
Also, has the ordering and shipping "issues" with GD Audiobase that are well documented in this post been cleared up or can it still be a guessing game or months before you actually get what you order.  I really like the light colored wood (natural) ones but have never wanted to order some FA-011 from GD Audiobase because of all the issues people were having.  If they have been cleared up an it takes maybe 3-4 weeks to get them, instead of months on end, then i will order a pair.  Anyone have any luck with GD Audiobase and the FA-011's lately?

Hey, I ordered some FA-11's though gd_audiobase's Ebay account a month and a half ago. They never came, and Dimitri took forever getting back to me by E-mail. I finally just got a refund through Ebay customer service. So, to answer your question, no it looks like the same issues.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #1,526 of 2,116
Stick with Frogbeats next time, I got a reply from them within 10 minutes and had a few instant email exchanges with them right after, they provided all the info I needed.  Great service there with 3 day air via DHL.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #1,527 of 2,116
Got my light wood FA-011s today. There was a bit of a mix up and the latest batch from Russia to Frogbeats had 1 pair of the older dark wood cups - typical who got sent them! David at Frogbeats was as helpful as ever and rectified the situation swiftly. After initial doubts about the FA-011s I now really like them. I have some DT770 Pro 80s and initially I felt the FA-011s were lacking in bass and found their high end piercing (these were the black cups BTW) since I have had the light wood versions both these doubts have disappeared. Yes they aren't as bassy at the DT770s but I understand that to be like comparing chalk and cheese. I cannot say whether the darker cups were part of the bad batch people have talked about.

Going back to the DT770s now feels like bass is too forward and they don't seem as bright as the FA-011s. But I'm happy that I have a nice set of closed cans and a nice set of open cans for varying situations.

Also I must say the new light wood is a massive improvement over the dark ones in terms of aesthetics. It's a real shame that Fischer even considered painting/staining what is a defining feature of their headphones. You really have to look close at the dark wood ones to even notice they are made from wood.

EDIT: further listening and comparing - The FA-011s actually CAN sound more bassy then the DT770s BUT I think this is a perceived difference due to the FA-011 having better mids to mid-bass - certain songs that have a certain bass / bass-kick frequency sound much better on the FA-011s. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #1,528 of 2,116

Quote:
Got my light wood FA-011s today. There was a bit of a mix up and the latest batch from Russia to Frogbeats had 1 pair of the older dark wood cups - typical who got sent them! David at Frogbeats was as helpful as ever and rectified the situation swiftly. After initial doubts about the FA-011s I now really like them. I have some DT770 Pro 80s and initially I felt the FA-011s were lacking in bass and found their high end piercing (these were the black cups BTW) since I have had the light wood versions both these doubts have disappeared. Yes they aren't as bassy at the DT770s but I understand that to be like comparing chalk and cheese. I cannot say whether the darker cups were part of the bad batch people have talked about.

Going back to the DT770s now feels like bass is too forward and they don't seem as bright as the FA-011s. But I'm happy that I have a nice set of closed cans and a nice set of open cans for varying situations.

Also I must say the new light wood is a massive improvement over the dark ones in terms of aesthetics. It's a real shame that Fischer even considered painting/staining what is a defining feature of their headphones. You really have to look close at the dark wood ones to even notice they are made from wood.

EDIT: further listening and comparing - The FA-011s actually CAN sound more bassy then the DT770s BUT I think this is a perceived difference due to the FA-011 having better mids to mid-bass - certain songs that have a certain bass / bass-kick frequency sound much better on the FA-011s. 

That's very interesting post since both of the headphones you mentioned are on my list of potential buys, but I'm trying to work out which one would be best. The reason the DT770 is on my shortlist is of because of the bass. Coming from the Senn 558's I needed something fun with more weight in the bass. What kind of music do you listen to and how do the 2 headphones compare? 

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #1,529 of 2,116
I listen to mainly electonic music (Dance, Dubstep, DnB etc.) but I do have a very eclectic mix of music that I listen to.

I am by no means an expert and aside from listening briefly to a few different sets of decent headphones I have only ever owned the DT770s and now the FA-011s.

The bass is impressive on the DT770s - it's definitely its defining feature. I am a typical bass head and so I loved the DT770s (you probably would too) - however since getting and having a day with the FA-011s I am starting to realise where the DT770s fall down and where the FA-011s do well. I undersatand both these headphones have recessed mids, however, the FA-011s mids, I think, are fantastic.

As I mentioned previously; I keep going back to the DT770s but after the FA-011 the bass does feel a little muddled. You must remember this is STRAIGHT after listening to the FA-011s. I suppose what I'm trying to get across is that it depends on what your expectations are and what you are used to listening to.

What it comes down to with me is that one set of phones are closed and one are open - if you are a bass head then either of these phones will do - it just depends on what you require in terms of open or closed is.

I have deceided to keep both my headphones - I will keep the DT770s at work as they isolate VERY well and I will keep the FA-011s for home use as I have my own office (room) in the house so isolation isn't a worry. I also game and watch movies at home so the open FA-011s fulfill that need perfectly.

I hope that helps you out in some way!

Where abouts in the UK are you?

EDIT: Also RayleisghSilvers, don't worry too much about the difference in each phones low end extension (5hz Beyers to 18hz Fischers). My interpretation of the difference is that the Beyers extension just gives you an almost light "vibration" and you get the sense of air pressue being pushed onto your ears. Yes, this does make the Beyers feel increibly powerful in terms of bass but as I say this can then feel like a muddle after hearing something with 'cleaner' bass (sorry I just realised most of what we're talking about is actually sub-bass). The Fischers still have impressive, low sub-bass.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,530 of 2,116
I got mine earlier today, amazing service as Frogbeats btw.   The Fa011 natural wood color is definitely lighter in the pictures due to the camera flash, the real color is a bit darker, less bright.  The pictures are also deceptive in regards to the overall size of the headphones, they are way smaller than I thought they would be which I am just so happy about.  They are not large cans and only barely pass as over the ears for me, the cups also rest on your ears and sink in quite a bit, your ear will touch the soft inside center area of the pad.  Thankfully, its very soft and pliable.  Nice stage, pretty much everything I wanted in my beloved HD 598.  Very stonge bass that is just like people have been saying, not overwhelming or at all bloated, responds very well to high bass tracks, deep, clear and solid.  Excellent mids.  Highs are really sibilant on some tracks but that might change after they equalize and burn in a little.  

Overall, I am extremely happy.  First time in about half a decade that I paid for a set of headphones and did not immediately want to return them or sell them off.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back